Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E mail won't set up on mobile

Options
  • 03-02-2015 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to set up an eircom.net e mail account on an Android mobile for days without success Eircom have told me the following settings
    E mail address *******@eircom.net
    password *********
    Incoming mail server webmail.eircom.net
    port 110
    Outgoing Mail server mail1.eircom.net
    port 587
    I then select "Next" and I get this message
    "Could not finish"
    "Could not open connection to server"
    I have tried this with Wifi on and Wifi off but nothing seems to help
    Could someone please provide a solution to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Any help on this please? Appreciate an answer today if possible
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Are you with Eircom for your broadband (wifi)?

And what network do you use for your mobile?

Are you with Eircom for your broadband (wifi)?

And what network do you use for your mobile?
    Thanks Projectmoose
    Yes I am with Eircom have been for decades and the mobile is Three Ireland

Unless things have changed, you won't be able to send mail if using your Three Ireland connection. (unless you set your outgoing mail server to Three's mail server). You'll need to switch back to Eircom's mail server if on your Eircom WiFi - this really isn't practical.

There is a suggested work around, which involves the use of another email account (for example GMAIL) as your permanent outgoing mail server.
    You basically only use the account's outgoing mail server to send mail. Gmail's email servers are global, so your connection method is irrelevant.

To summarize what you'd need:
    Incoming Mail Server = Eircom settings
    Outgoing Mail Server = Gmail settings (you'll need to use your gmail account login details to send mail) You'll need a valid gmail user/pass.

Hope that helps.

Eircom Support information here. "Note: eircom Webmail outgoing mail will not work on our mobile network, outgoing mail will only work when connected to WiFi as Meteor/e-Mobile do not have an outgoing SMTP server. Incoming mail is not affected and will function as normal."

• Advertisement

Eircom Support information here. "Note: eircom Webmail outgoing mail will not work on our mobile network, outgoing mail will only work when connected to WiFi as Meteor/e-Mobile do not have an outgoing SMTP server. Incoming mail is not affected and will function as normal."
    Thanks a lot for that.Looks like the workaround is the one to use and use my gmail account for outgoing

Steve F wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for that.Looks like the workaround is the one to use and use my gmail account for outgoing

Yes, your mail will still be incoming/outgoing from your Eircom email address - it is just being sent out via a gmail server. (to do this you need a valid gmail account)

Advertisement