Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Phone watch' scam in county?

• 03-02-2015 10:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I bumped into a neighbour this evening and during the catch-up, she told me about two young-ish women who called to her house last week trying to sell her what they called a 'phone watch' burglar alarm.

They gave her a very hard sell by the sounds of it, saying she needed to sign up now on the spot coz they might not be able to call back, then they cut the price dramatically, etc.

The neighbour is a polite woman so she listened for a while and then asked them to go, saying she'd think about it.

She found out later that another 'phone watch' salesman had called to her son's house at the same time, but as her son was heading out he asked yer man for some brochures, or flyers, or something he could read later. But this salesman had neither flyers nor a business card nor any contact number.

Now, to me, this smells of a scam. Has anyone else heard of these 'phone watch' people calling to homes in the county? The above visit happened Wed/Thurs evening last week, around 5.30 in the evening, a few miles from Kilmac.

Is this something people should be wary of? Or does anyone know if genuine, but very pushy, Eircom Phone Watch people were in the area last week?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

2 phone watch people called to me before. I let them in to take a look and they gave me a price. I all ready had an alarm system so did not take them up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a couple of phonewatch people, a young man and woman, call, I said I was not interested and they left. No hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

there are girls going around in two's selling Eircom Phonewatch

They are paid on commission only , so mainly desperate to create a sale .

At the beginning they are given figures which sound attractive as to how much they can make , but its a hard sell.

Advertisement