Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving house and UPC not available: recommendations?

• 04-02-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm moving house soon and the new place doesn't have UPC (its a new development just outside Malahide and the developer only has Eircom installed): is there anything I can do or is there a period of time after which the lines are 'opened'? UPC claim that the developer won't deal with them: I thought all that stuff was finished now?

If I am stuck with Eircom then what is the Eircom for BB and calls and then Sky for TV option like? I currently have Horizon and its fine for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

ollie103 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm moving house soon and the new place doesn't have UPC (its a new development just outside Malahide and the developer only has Eircom installed): is there anything I can do or is there a period of time after which the lines are 'opened'? UPC claim that the developer won't deal with them: I thought all that stuff was finished now?

If I am stuck with Eircom then what is the Eircom for BB and calls and then Sky for TV option like? I currently have Horizon and its fine for me.

Was a common problem years ago, UPC wouldnt pay for the work to be carried out and either would the builders so alot of new estates in Limerick went uncabled and had to use the mmds network...a mistake UPC were sure to regret...I find it incredible that it still goes on, if there is a cable system in next estate it surely should be possible to put it in if there is ducting there...but u mite need to wait till more people want it...a disgrace...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Go Freesat and Saorview. No bills, and you get nearly everything that UPC charge for, except Sky Sports of course.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

steveon wrote: »
    Was a common problem years ago, UPC wouldnt pay for the work to be carried out and either would the builders so alot of new estates in Limerick went uncabled and had to use the mmds network...a mistake UPC were sure to regret...I find it incredible that it still goes on, if there is a cable system in next estate it surely should be possible to put it in if there is ducting there...but u mite need to wait till more people want it...a disgrace...

Not true, UPC pay the full cost of installing cabling for their service in new builds.

I know, because that is exactly what they did in my own apartment building 8 months ago.

Originally the building was wired up for Smart Telecom broadband. Over a period of 5 years, UPC kept coming out to my building, surveying it to try and figure out how to cable it up within their install budget. It wasn't easy, but eventually they found a way and went ahead :D

More likely the developer was looking for "hello" money to allow UPC into the building, which I know UPC point blank refuse to do as it is illegal.

Unfortunately this sort of bs is still going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Go Freesat and Saorview. No bills, and you get nearly everything that UPC charge for, except Sky Sports of course.

Unfortunately not; most new developments prevent you from putting up a satellite dish.

On the other hand, if you're in Malahide you might be able to pick up Freeview signal from the UK with a decent loft aerial.

Advertisement