Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

billpay phone broke.

Options
  • 04-02-2015 12:49am

So I had a htc one m7, bought it on bill pay was 14months into contract And it was broken by someone that I am able to make a Claim through the state agency for it.
    I am having difficulty getting them to agree a price on the phone, I paid 250 Euro for it and to get it at that price I needed to sign up for 2 years at 31 Euro a month.
    Basically they only Want to pay me 250 Euro for it as they see it as I have only lost that Amount, but I cannot buy the exact same phone for that price unless I get it on Bill pay.
    Meteor have told me if I want a new phone I have to buy out remainder of contract and then purchase a new one (would cost me 241 just to buy out contract) so I would be out of pocket more Than what they claim I lost.
    Am I bring unreasonable expecting more than what they are offering me?
    And for the record I have bought a new phone the HTC m8 in between the time it broke a d now.
    Any suggestions or advice are welcome.

Comments

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Tbf there is loads of second hand m7 for sale on adverts for around €250 so that seems a fair price for a 14 month old last gen phone

wilser wrote: »
    Tbf there is loads of second hand m7 for sale on adverts for around €250 so that seems a fair price for a 14 month old last gen phone

My phone wasn't second hand and it was perfect I can't guarantee if I buy online also chance it could be stolen or reported lost for insurance reasons , and I wouldn't have peace of mind.
    14 months old or not I just feel my "loss" was more than the 250 that they quoted me. I told them I'd be happy if they bought me the same phone but it's not available for that price anymore.
    They did ask for receipt of my new phone which is the upgrade but as I paid 500 for it they want to pay the original cost Of phone but I am contesting that part of my monthly fee is for the phone.
    Still waiting to see if meteor can give me a breakdown of all costs for phone.
    Thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

Yeah but if they give you €250 then the m8 only cost you €250, plus you are into 14 months of your contract instead of starting a new contract, which is what most people have to do when getting a top of the range smartphone.
    It sounds like you just want them to compensate you with a brand new m8 instead of replacing a 14 month old phone, which was, at that time, only worth €250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

That's not your providers problem that you broke your phone. I know it sucks but you either buy out the contract and get a new phone with a new contract.

Or buy a new phone to continue the rest of the contract with.

Your going to have to pay it either way.

• Advertisement

That's not your providers problem that you broke your phone.

I know it's not the providers fault I never claimed it was? They have been so helpful.they can compensate me with a brand new m7 I'd be happy with that, I don't want a second hand phone from adverts though never know what has been on the phone or what ever.

@hollister, if I buy out the contract and buy the phone again at 250 Euro then it would cost me 500 Euro altogether. Why should I buy out a contract coz someone broke my phone in temper? the insurance company will pay out they are just trying to make me accept less than a replacement cost.
    There is a garda helping me deal with them he believes I should get more than the 250 as he had similar dealings with it befor.
    I ain't trying to rip anyone off, I could also claim for days missed in work due to the incident but I am not Going down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

So I had a htc one m7, bought it on bill pay was 14months into contract And it was broken by someone that I am able to make a Claim through the state agency for it.
    I am having difficulty getting them to agree a price on the phone, I paid 250 Euro for it and to get it at that price I needed to sign up for 2 years at 31 Euro a month.
    Basically they only Want to pay me 250 Euro for it as they see it as I have only lost that Amount, but I cannot buy the exact same phone for that price unless I get it on Bill pay.
    Meteor have told me if I want a new phone I have to buy out remainder of contract and then purchase a new one (would cost me 241 just to buy out contract) so I would be out of pocket more Than what they claim I lost.
    Am I bring unreasonable expecting more than what they are offering me?
    And for the record I have bought a new phone the HTC m8 in between the time it broke a d now.
    Any suggestions or advice are welcome.

The retail value of the HTC One M7 would have been about 500 euro when you purchased it. Your provider would be subsidising the cost of the handset and the 250 euro that you paid would have been a top-up. On higher contracts you could have gotten the phone for free

If the person that broke your phone has accepted liability for the damage, they should pay the current cost of a replacement phone of the same or higher level.

jahalpin wrote: »

If the person that broke your phone has accepted liability for the damage, they should pay the current cost of a replacement phone of the same or higher level.

The person who broke it hasnt exactly accepted liability, he doesn't have too as there is CCTV footage of him Doing so. But I am very confident I will get paid out. Just need to get the figure agreed with his insurance crowd How much I am due.I have quoted it at 530 which is what it would cost me to get a new phone And I think that is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TempAc

It's generally part of the financial disclosure of public companies about how their phone purchase model works, at least in the US anyway. As such you might be able to provide documentation to that effect in you look through some financial reports for the provider inn question.

People need to stop saying these phones are subsidised. They're not, they are subject to a financing arrangement, you're just paying the full retail (and often more, look at it as an interest payment) in installments. Roughly speaking, anything over €20 a month you're just paying for your phone in installments.

TempAc wrote: »

People need to stop saying these phones are subsidised. They're not, they are subject to a financing arrangement, you're just paying the full retail (and often more, look at it as an interest payment) in installments. Roughly speaking, anything over €20 a month you're just paying for your phone in installments.

Yea I agree with ya there. Problem is I bought it online and there is no contract as such that would outline it.but I can use the wording you have used there to explain that is what I am clatiming for. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The person who broke it hasnt exactly accepted liability, he doesn't have too as there is CCTV footage of him Doing so. But I am very confident I will get paid out. Just need to get the figure agreed with his insurance crowd How much I am due.I have quoted it at 530 which is what it would cost me to get a new phone And I think that is fair.

Just tell the insurance company that they have to replace your phone. Give then the price of a new one add an alternative otherwise it is up to them to source your replacement.

Advertisement