Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexplained sound in Clontarf/Killester area, evenings and late at night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It's a loud C-E-G-C musical progression

I'm no music expert, but isn't this the opening notes of "Why do birds suddenly appear"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Very interesting. Why don't you drop into the local Guards? If anyone has been receiving complaints it'll be them.

That sounds like the sort of thing that would drive me bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Very interesting. Why don't you drop into the local Guards? If anyone has been receiving complaints it'll be them.

I'd suggest the Council

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mtbop

Heard it last night around 9.30pm too. Thought it was the roommate playing his hipster synthesizers too loud as I was walking up the driveway. Can't put a location of where its coming from at all unlike concerts in Croke Park or Landsdowne where you know exactly where the music is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Port tunnel - some lads doing maintenance ......?

photo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Riskymove wrote: »
    I'd suggest the Council

As the saying goes "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"!!

I've held off contacting Gardai or Council until all easily identifiable sources are ruled out. Last night only was the second night I've heard it but it would appear from some other posters that they've heard it more than I have.

LOL at the poster who thought it was "hipster synthesizers" - when we first heard it we thought it was some new fangled alarm system for the elderly peeps next door...whatever it is it's a ruddy pain in the a$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I know that some lads dirt bike in Fairview park and the noise carries, used to hear it all the time in Clontarf

mtbop wrote: »
    Heard it last night around 9.30pm too. Thought it was the roommate playing his hipster synthesizers too loud as I was walking up the driveway. Can't put a location of where its coming from at all unlike concerts in Croke Park or Landsdowne where you know exactly where the music is coming from.

What's very strange is that it was louder in the Super Valu Killester car park than down nearer the docks area which is the most likely source, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the railway line at Killester either.

Next time I hear it I'll drive down to the ferryport. If it's not a docks issue then it is a complete mystery.

By 11.30 it was going round and round in my head like Chinese torture. I blocked it out by playing Tiga's Bugatti on a loop!

shalalala wrote: »
    I know that some lads dirt bike in Fairview park and the noise carries, used to hear it all the time in Clontarf

It's definitely not the bikes, I know that noise alright. +1

This is as an earlier poster joked a Close Encounters noise, just different notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,941 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's definitely not the bikes, I know that noise alright. +1

This is as an earlier poster joked a Close Encounters noise, just different notes.

Yep, that's exactly it.

Initially I thought it might be a neighbour's doorbell, until I heard it while I was outside one day and it was far too loud.

I then thought it might be one of those speakers at the train station making announcements, but the station was way too far away for a sound like that to carry.

Plus if it were a loudspeaker making an announcement, you'd hear some mumbled speech after the tone - but there's never anything.

Another one to add to the mix, there's also an air raid type siren that goes off around there for some reason. It's very eerie and kind of makes you think the Luftwaffe are approaching :D

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yep, that's exactly it.

Initially I thought it might be a neighbour's doorbell, until I heard it while I was outside one day and it was far too loud.

I then thought it might be one of those speakers at the train station making announcements, but the station was way too far away for a sound like that to carry.

Plus if it were a loudspeaker making an announcement, you'd hear some mumbled speech after the tone - but there's never anything.

Another one to add to the mix, there's also an air raid type siren that goes off around there for some reason. It's very eerie and kind of makes you think the Luftwaffe are approaching :D

+1

The air raid siren I think signals a fire down the docks and usually doesn't last too long.

Close Encounters starts around 6.30pm and lasts continually into the early hours.

It's not coming from Clontarf Rugby pitch either.

F**k me, it's exactly like this (just different notes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQzI3sz83FY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Would it be something to do with the Port Tunnel? That's up that General direction isn't it.

I'll phone the Tunnel people today and ask them. This is driving me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Maybe it's a sound preceding PA announcements on one or more of the ships/ferries on the docks?

These would be common enough - particularly for on-deck announcements directed towards crew...

NS77 wrote: »
    Maybe it's a sound preceding PA announcements on one or more of the ships/ferries on the docks?

These would be common enough - particularly for on-deck announcements directed towards crew...

No, another poster above had it right. There's no speech and no interruption and it lasts seven to eight hours at a time.

In the meantime, great version of the theme...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I think some places have an automated intruder alarm type thing, that are probably tripped by motion detection, that make a noise like this (is it almost like the start of a PA announcement tone, in some supermarkets?).

In the Coolock area, there has been something like this for 3+ years, just not as frequent as you describe; it does carry a ridiculously long distance.

I'll phone the Tunnel people today and ask them. This is driving me nuts.

Rang the Tunnel Authority. They were quite helpful actually. No knowledge of the noise and the tunnel was open last night, no works being undertaken.

I think some places have an automated intruder alarm type thing, that are probably tripped by motion detection, that make a noise like this (is it almost like the start of a PA announcement tone, in some supermarkets?).

In the Coolock area, there has been something like this for 3+ years, just not as frequent as you describe; it does carry a ridiculously long distance.

Yes, but I imagine the owner of any business premises would be alerted to check the premises out and turn the alarm off if there's nothing. Am I incorrect in this?

Has anyone in Coolock area tried to trace the source of the noise? Whatever it is, anyone living closer to it must be driven demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Speaking of unusual noises has anyone in Finglas/Ballymun heard a large air raid siren at around 2 or 3am over the last couple of years? I haven't heard it in a few months now but there was a time when it was almost nightly. I suspect it is the Roadstone quarry just out the road in the St.Margarets Road area, my guess is they play the siren before using dynamite to blow rocks up or something but then it was so regular it could have been for something else, unless they always blew rocks at 2 in the morning. I could never figure it out, it appears to be gone for now but it has dissappeared for some time in the past and then returned again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Yes, but I imagine the owner of any business premises would be alerted to check the premises out and turn the alarm off if there's nothing. Am I incorrect in this?

Has anyone in Coolock area tried to trace the source of the noise? Whatever it is, anyone living closer to it must be driven demented.
    I'm not sure if it's ever been checked out or complained about - I'm not aware of anyone having tried to trace it; I only really hear it the odd time in the mornings (sometimes, on the rare occasion, it does end up repeating frequently though).

The sound of it is as if it's being carried a long distance though (on a still morning, I can even hear the DART sometimes, despite being quite far away), so while it's audible, I'd not say for sure that it's around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Sounds most likely explanation.
    Perhaps the Rugby ground? See if they've training / a match on Wednesdays.

I can safely say its not the rugby club
    I'm no music expert, but isn't this the opening notes of "Why do birds suddenly appear"?

Its not that, good guess though

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHi6LjKuNl4

check this out does it sound like this

irish gent wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHi6LjKuNl4

check this out does it sound like this

Thankfully not.

I've just thought of what the sound is, its the paging noise from an intercom, most like the third one in this video

http://youtu.be/q_rPTSzG_xE

I've just thought of what the sound is, its the paging noise from an intercom, most like the third one in this video

http://youtu.be/q_rPTSzG_xE

It's exactly like the Faro & Johannesburg Airport ones on this clip, but blaring, and over and over for eight hours at a time.

Aaah, the memories from the first two sounds - standing in the pi$$ing rain at Killester DART on a Monday morning..."operational problems" (i.e. the drivers are all in bed)

I wonder whether its killester dart stations intercom? I'm pretty sure thats what their paging noise sounds like.

I wonder whether its killester dart stations intercom? I'm pretty sure thats what their paging noise sounds like.

Next time I hear it I'll drive up and park outside. Why would it run for several hours though, uninterrupted?

Next time I hear it I'll drive up and park outside. Why would it run for several hours though, uninterrupted?

Faulty and nobody there to notice? Its unmanned from about 8pm onwards.

• Advertisement

Faulty and nobody there to notice? Its unmanned from about 8pm onwards.

I rang Killester DART there - the guy at the booth told me that someone who lives near Clontarf Golf Club on Malahide Road came in this morning complaining about the sound last night assuming it was Irish Rail works, but Killester said it definitely wasn't them!! Freaky!! :eek:

Advertisement