Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unexplained sound in Clontarf/Killester area, evenings and late at night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

I wonder is it possible that this noise is running around the clock and can't be discerned during the day as it is being buried under the ambient noise of the city?

Also, and maybe I've got this arseways, but wasn't there an issue with weird noises being generated by the wind interacting with the Liffey Service Tunnel a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ekimiam

is that it now?? i can hear something in d5!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

ekimiam wrote: »
    is that it now?? i can hear something in d5!

There was a siren going off for about 15 minutes over by the power station.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,890 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a siren going off for about 15 minutes over by the power station.....

Pre-blast warning at the quarry. Mentioned up-thread, a few times possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

rob w wrote: »
    Living close to the Artane Roundabout myself, don't think I've ever heard it up that far, although I think I remember hearing some sort of humming noise during the night that used to keep me awake a while back but its either stopped or I've gotten used to it! Always thought it was rail related! Sounds like its a different one anyway!

Nonetheless this thread has caught my attention......so out of pure procrastination, I've plotted those points where its been heard above on an editable Google map, which anyone with a Google account can edit and add markers too! Might help pinpoint it.....happy hunting!! :p

Link to map is here

Thanks so much for that. :)

• Advertisement

wally79 wrote: »
    Purely following this out of interest in the result as I don't live in the area.

From what is mapped so far it is centred around the Golf course. Is it some sound device meant to scare away nocturnal animals who might dig up the course.

Or someone is trying to fix a King of the Sheep competition using BBC sound effects vol 5

Yep - vicinity of Clontarf Golf Club/Mount Temple hockey pitch/Mount Temple School on Malahide Road first line of investigation now...

The sound wasn't on last night. What's really weird about it is that whereever you are hearing it (as per map above), it sounds proximate and loud. Move "towards" it and it mysteriously moves away!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

I live by Holy Faith in Clontarf/Killester .. I'd put money on any four tone chime being heard is from the schools tannoy bell system.

I would imagine the chime being heard between 6pm-6.30pm is the end of evening study.. Anything between 630pm - 8am/9am is beyond me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I live by Holy Faith in Clontarf/Killester .. I'd put money on any four tone chime being heard is from the schools tannoy bell system.

I would imagine the chime being heard between 6pm-6.30pm is the end of evening study.. Anything between 630pm - 8am/9am is beyond me!

Schools finish at 3.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

chopper6 wrote: »
    Schools finish at 3.30!

...but bell/chime timers run continuously. If it is set incorrectly it'll carry on doing so.

I'd take a note of times and days etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Its emanating from the Dart stations (its the status theme tune)
    Is more obvious in different locations based on wind directions.

I still like the 'close encounters' like theories though

• Advertisement

interested wrote: »
    Its emanating from the Dart stations (its the status theme tune)
    Is more obvious in different locations based on wind directions.

I still like the 'close encounters' like theories though

It's not the DART, that's been checked out already.

Is it a Hum ? I dont understand your explanation of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

*follows thread*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

...but bell/chime timers run continuously. If it is set incorrectly it'll carry on doing so.

I'd take a note of times and days etc.

If there was bells ringing constantly from Holy faith,half the old biddies in clontarf would've complained about it...from the Indo to Joe Duffy.

is it like this ?

This has been popping up all over the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytGTENZhMs

There is also a story about it in Kerry

http://www.thejournal.ie/healy-rae-wants-killarneys-mystery-noise-investigated-392207-Mar2012/

Have another friend suffering it in Sligo. Its happening on all coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Naw, it's from Dublin Port.

The lads on the cruise ships have the horns rigged for music nowadays.

Here is one:

And sometimes they turn the sound down a bit to drive the locals crazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Could be a giant bitcoin mine?

sound like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

That sound is most likely caused by HAARP, who manipulate and transmit high frequencies based on Tesla Technologies that they stole via Satellite to ANY country on the earth. It is controlled by the bad Military, based in Alaska. Search and learn about HAARP. then learn about Tesla, amazing guy that knew in the wrong hands, his technologies would be compromised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

irish gent wrote: »
    That sound is most likely caused by HAARP, who manipulate and transmit high frequencies based on Tesla Technologies that they stole via Satellite to ANY country on the earth. It is controlled by the bad Military, based in Alaska. Search and learn about HAARP. then learn about Tesla, amazing guy that knew in the wrong hands, his technologies would be compromised.

and they hang out in Killester? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭irish gent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

spurious wrote: »
    and they hang out in Killester? :eek:

tin_foil_hat.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

safetyboy wrote: »
    Could be a giant bitcoin mine?

sound like that?

Really? Have you read any of the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Conspiracy Theories is over here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dee5

If it's between 9am - 4pm it's the school bells in Holy Faith on Clontarf Road... mystery solved?

The school bell plays four chimes..

LMAO I can here that bell chiming in my heasd now! Goodbye Double maths! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Any update lads? I don't even live near ye but its bugging me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

corsav6 wrote: »

I haven't heard it in a few days myself

corsav6 wrote: »

It hasn't been heard since last Tuesday.

Before that it was just under a fortnight.

We're all ears to the ground..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Are you sure you heard it at all?

;)

Did you check the batteries in your hearing aid, dears?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcliR8kAbzc

z

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Is it the cleaning out of oil storage tanks in the docks in preparation for statutory inspection ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭goiko

I know the noise hasn't been heard in a few days, but I live on the Howth Road, close to Copeland Ave., and I've never heard this noise at all since the thread was created. How could it be heard in Hollybrook Grove but not across the rail track is beyond me. I go to Supervalu Killester once or twice a week and I've never heard it while being there either. However this thread has managed to freak me out :D

Advertisement