Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator won't power drill?

Options
  • 04-02-2015 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

5kw genny, works fine - powers my angle grinder fine. My draper 230v SDS drill won't work though. It works perfectly off a mains plug, but the genny won't power it. It gives one tiny turn then nada. I tried flashing it with the drill trick (Google it). No joy. Any ideas?

Comments

Brushed drill or permanent magnet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

With regard to that flashing thing, drill with universal motor wont generate anything when spinning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

Not sure, it's a draper SDS 230v. Doubt its brushless. I also tried it with a lidl €20 drill, but there was no resistance so that was generating nothing (universal?). I had to turn the SDS with a cordless because of the resistance.

I meant to add - the genny has a 220v / 110v switch, it's obviously on the 220, but the drill is 230v, does that matter? The drill used to work with this genny in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Not sure, it's a draper SDS 230v. Doubt its brushless. I also tried it with a lidl €20 drill, but there was no resistance so that was generating nothing (universal?). I had to turn the SDS with a cordless because of the resistance.

I meant to add - the genny has a 220v / 110v switch, it's obviously on the 220, but the drill is 230v, does that matter? The drill used to work with this genny in fairness

Slight chance drill has broken lead inside insulation. Vibration of generator could be affecting it more than plugging into wall socket. Plug into wall and move lead around a bit where it enters drill.

Try checking lead on drill or replacing plug on drill if above test shows nothing. Or plug extension lead into generator and drill into lead as a test.

Advertisement