Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a higher-end commuter

• 04-02-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Like most blow-in posters on here, I'm looking to get hooked up with a commuter bike on the bike to work scheme. I'm hoping to spend close to the max (1k) to get as good a bike as possible; already have a good lock and helmet, so I won't have to include them in the purchase price.

I definitely do not want rigid forks and don't need disc brakes or hub gear - I would prefer to get something simpler with better spec parts instead.

I need to be able to fit a rear rack and mudguards, and I'd also love a steel frame, if possible.

I like this - www . cyclebike.ie/bikes/tokyobike-sport-matt-black - but I was hoping to hit Tiagra level at this price point.

This also appeals and seems like it's a great deal, although flat bars would be my preference - www . cycleways.com/store/product/72172/Kona-Sutra-2014/

All opinions welcome, TIA.

Edit - apologies for the state of the links, it seems I'm still forbidden from posting proper links.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pound for pound, the Kona is the better bike overall in my opinion but it really depends on what you want to do.
    I need to be able to fit a rear rack and mudguards, and I'd also love a steel frame, if possible.

The tokyo bike does not seem to have eyelets for mudguards or a rear rack, you can get clip on ones and a seatpost mounted rack to oversome this. The Kona has both already fitted.

How far will you cycle and what are your main uses. The Kona Dew deluxe 2014 fits the requirement on the cycleways site, fit a rear rack and its what you want (bar aluminium instead of steel) for 350quid less.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rasgav

CramCycle wrote: »
    Pound for pound, the Kona is the better bike overall in my opinion but it really depends on what you want to do.

The tokyo bike does not seem to have eyelets for mudguards or a rear rack, you can get clip on ones and a seatpost mounted rack to oversome this. The Kona has both already fitted.

How far will you cycle and what are your main uses. The Kona Dew deluxe 2014 fits the requirement on the cycleways site, fit a rear rack and its what you want (bar aluminium instead of steel) for 350quid less.

Thanks for the reply. I get that the Kona Sutra is a tourer and as such is probably not suited to my needs.

I need this bike for commuting, all other needs are subservient at the moment. Right now I'm looking at a 16km round trip - not too far, I know, and it's pretty flat - but I want as easy a ride as possible so I can show up to work fresh and sweet-smelling. Also my commute may increase in the future. That other Kona is ok but the spec isn't too exciting and I don't have a problem spending up to the B2W limit given that savings involved.

Any other recommends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rasgav wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I get that the Kona Sutra is a tourer and as such is probably not suited to my needs.

I need this bike for commuting, all other needs are subservient at the moment. Right now I'm looking at a 16km round trip - not too far, I know, and it's pretty flat - but I want as easy a ride as possible so I can show up to work fresh and sweet-smelling. Also my commute may increase in the future. That other Kona is ok but the spec isn't too exciting and I don't have a problem spending up to the B2W limit given that savings involved.

Any other recommends?

No matter how easy the ride, not sweating is going to be impossible once we get out of this cold snap. I've never been able to do it, even going frustratingly slow to try and not be a mess.

For your needs I'd be thinking a single speed must be a contender. An On-One pompino or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

If its 16K and you don't want to sweat then get an ebike.

The_Sub wrote: »
    If its 16K and you don't want to sweat then get an ebike.

16k round trip so 8k each way.

Baby wipes are a must, you can make the commute without sweating but it won't be easy as you will actively be trying to make not much more effort than walking.

I always recommend Charge bikes as I found mine great: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge/commuter-urban-bikes/steel-fork-material/

(filtered for commuters and steel).

If you are only using the limit to "maximise" the saving, your not really maximising the saving. Maybe buy second hand first and then once you get into it, buy something you know will suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭custom_build

Hey, I'm gonna be selling a Kona Honky Tonk. About 10 months old in great nick. I've upgraded from the nine speed sora/tiara mix to ten speed 105. It's also got a new brooks B17 saddle, a great commuter with reynolds 520 steel.

It's a great commuter and i'll be sad to see it go but i've been spending a lot of time up the mountains which she wasn't made for.
    Anyway just saw your post and thought it might be an option.

oh, i can't post pics for another 10 posts, well nine now actually :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

Looks deadly

http://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3636

I got my Canyon on BTW scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The Kona looks like exactly what you need at your exact budget.

Touring bikes and commuter bikes tend to be quite similar - more relaxed geometry than a racing bike, racks and mudguards. Deore isn't too bad, and you can upgrade as needs be and as parts wear out.

Just leave a bottle of deodorant and some baby wipes in work, and/or a change of clothes in a pannier if you need to - But generally speaking, 8km wouldn't raise too much of a sweat for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Muck off do a sort of no water wash which is handy to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Hey, I'm gonna be selling a Kona Honky Tonk. About 10 months old in great nick. I've upgraded from the nine speed sora/tiara mix to ten speed 105. It's also got a new brooks B17 saddle, a great commuter with reynolds 520 steel.

It's a great commuter and i'll be sad to see it go but i've been spending a lot of time up the mountains which she wasn't made for.
    Anyway just saw your post and thought it might be an option.

Honky Tonk is a very nice bike.
    Going to get one on the Bike to Work in March sometime for the work Commute.

Why exactly did you upgrade from the nine speed sora/tiara mix to ten speed 105?

Honky Tonk is a very nice bike.
    Going to get one on the Bike to Work in March sometime for the work Commute.

Why exactly did you upgrade from the nine speed sora/tiara mix to ten speed 105?

I upgraded the shifters and front and back mechs to 105 5700 and then obviously had to put on a ten speed cassette and longer chain.
    Honestly its a great bike and i'd keep it if i was commuting but circumstances have changed and I'm looking for something a little lighter, I would recommend the honky tonk if you were thinking of getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I was going to say, if you're doing 16km a day on your bike, on the road, I would go for drop bars rather than flat bars.

I also considered the Sutra when I was looking for my commuter bike 4 years ago, so I tried it in a bike shop. It's solid, but heavy and slow. My commute was 26km each way back then (3 days a week) so I got a Honky Tonk (as is being sold above) and fitted it with a rack, mudguards and a hub dynamo with lights.

25,000km and 4 years later, I'm happy with the Honky Tonk as a commuter bike, but it's definitely an odd one. It's great fun to ride, it's light and it's got a small rear triangle, so it waggles a bit at the backend while you ride, which makes it fun to go fast. On the other hand, that sacrifices some stability. If you want to carry 20kg of shopping/beer/passenger on the back, it's not super stable.

Most of the componentry is good. I'm still running the original shifters, brakes, saddle, etc. However, the rims are notably crap, and the Shimano Sora deraileurs were dead after 10,000km. I replaced them with some better, compatible, long-cage deraileur, and it's been much better since.

So, the above offer might be worth it, since it sounds like the seller has done those changes for you already ;)

Thanks for the replies, plenty to think about. I'll be visiting my new location today and will check out the facilities there which will also inform my decision.

custom_build, what kind of cash were you thinking of for the Kona?

custom_build, what kind of cash were you thinking of for the Kona?

MOD VOICE: Maybe move that discussion to PM as there is no point having it in thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Another suggestion for a commuter would be this. A bit above the bike to work allowance, but a really fantastic bike for the price-maybe in fact the best all-round bike you could get. You need to check of course if Canyon bikes are covered by your company's scheme-not sure if it's still the case, but a few years ago when I got my folder on the BTW scheme, I discovered that there are in fact multiple schemes, and the employers and bike shops on each may not be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I like the genesis bikes - the all one with Alfine is a nice option

http://www.mycycle.ie/mobile/Product.aspx?id=39784

Or a Croix de Fer for something that could double as a winter training bike

http://www.mycycle.ie/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=genesiscdf15

Just my 2c but I've had nothing but problems with my Cdf, wouldn't recommend it.

Just my 2c but I've had nothing but problems with my Cdf, wouldn't recommend it.

Was it the frame or components? never heard anyone complain about them before, just wondering as I had looked at it myself.

Components mostly also cosmetic rust on the dropouts and paint durability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Components mostly also cosmetic rust on the dropouts and paint durability.

Yeah no experiwnce with them myself and surprising to read - would be up there on my fantasy commuter

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I like the genesis bikes - the all one with Alfine is a nice option

http://www.mycycle.ie/mobile/Product.aspx?id=39784

Nice bike.
    My girlfriend has a similarly configured Orbit Orion. Not the fastest rig in the world, but with the Afine hub and disc brakes you're solid, stable and comfortable in all conditions. When the weather out really sucks, I steal her bike ;)

Another very solid one is this
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/awol/awol

a friend has one and I've tried it quite a bit. When used with thinner tyres (the ones it comes with are very slow) it's a good compromise between solid and fast. Not cheap though, and with Specialized written all over it, I wouldn't park it in town!

Thanks for the replies, plenty to think about. I'll be visiting my new location today and will check out the facilities there which will also inform my decision.
    So OP did ya get the Honky Tonk in the end?

I also considered the Sutra when I was looking for my commuter bike 4 years ago, so I tried it in a bike shop. It's solid, but heavy and slow. My commute was 26km each way back then (3 days a week) so I got a Honky Tonk (as is being sold above) and fitted it with a rack, mudguards and a hub dynamo with lights.

Getting a Honky Tonk shortly - just wondering what Dynamo do you use?

In the end I decided on a completely different bike to the one I originally wanted, and chose a Focus Planet 2 - I'm really happy with it so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

cheerspal wrote: »
    Looks deadly

http://www.canyon.com/en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3636

I got my Canyon on BTW scheme.

Are you able to get Canyon bikes on the BTW scheme?

Are you able to get Canyon bikes on the BTW scheme?

Yes, so long as your employer is OK with you ordering from them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

CramCycle wrote: »
    Yes, so long as your employer is OK with you ordering from them.

Oh thats awesome, was not aware of that.

So you just bring the quote to HR, thats perfect, I was considering buying canyon, because the price is awesome, even before you get BTW on top.

• Advertisement

Oh thats awesome, was not aware of that.

So you just bring the quote to HR, thats perfect, I was considering buying canyon, because the price is awesome, even before you get BTW on top.

I would pop over to the bike to work meagathread with any follow ups but yes, once your employer is happy to buy from them, then there should be no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

How about the Scott Sub Sport - the 10 model is just in the BTW limit and well equipped for commuting, with rack, mudguards, dynamo and lights as standard - disc brakes too, which would be an essential for me

http://www.bikestore.ie/scott-sub-sport-10-men-bike-2015.html

Advertisement