Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Ants HD IP Camera (Dropcam Clone) for less then €30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Folks I've a spare camera in Dublin (very little use)if anyone wants me. Pm me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

corglass wrote: »

keep you kinky sex stuff to yourself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

sent you a pm mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Would this cam work well as just a "plug and play" USB webcam? Or would there be better options for me?

I wouldnt recommend it... USB cameras are much cheaper and indeed truly plug&play these day.
    This is meant to be used for remote video surveillance and similar types of applications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭razor12345

Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 giannidtz

Just wanted to add my 2c, I got the Xiaomi camera today and I followed this guide: http://en.miui.com/thread-125558-1-1.html and it worked like a charm first try. I can hear audio from the camera and also speak through it. When I first connected it told me that a new firmware was available and I bit the bullet and went for it, the camera came with version H and it was updated to version L, I can't really tell what was fixed in the release as it shows you the release notes in Chinese.

Phone= Nexus 4 running lollipop
    WiFi= I have both bands enabled (2.4 and 5Ghz) to be honest I don't know which one is used by the camera with WPA as security.
    Xiaomi App= as per the link above version 1.6
    Firmware= Came with version H, now running L

Hope this helps. So far happy with the purchase, let's see how it goes in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 blaze73

I just rolled back to Firmware "B" from L (0629) because I was having massive network problems, and watching rstp feed is only available with the "B" firmware.
    Used to be unable to connect from phone e.g. external network, but Xiaomi finally fixed some network, server issues on their end.

Anyone uses RSTP feed from outside, external network ? Need some help with ip forwarding, dyndns or however you can fix this to be able to access from remote VLC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

I ordered this last night, how long did delivery take for you guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭spuddy01

deadlast wrote: »
    I ordered this last night, how long did delivery take for you guys?

About 3 wks from ship date seems to be the norm.

Got it today and set up.
    How do you view the list of recorded motions? I have the App v1.8.5 up and running fine, camera version K.

• Advertisement

deadlast wrote: »
    Got it today and set up.
    How do you view the list of recorded motions? I have the App v1.8.5 up and running fine, camera version K.

This is one of the caveats, the recordings are in China's time zone but the app shows the local time, so is kind of tricky to watch any previous recordings. You just need to scroll back in time in the app under the current image being streamed, but because of what I said before is quite jumpy and you can't really pin point a particular time, to workaround this you have 2 alternatives:

1. Set your time zone to China, at least temporarily while you review the recordings.

2. Take the SD card out and see the videos on your PC.

Supposedly the time zone problem will be resolved once Xiaomi goes officially global.

giannidtz wrote: »
    This is one of the caveats, the recordings are in China's time zone but the app shows the local time, so is kind of tricky to watch any previous recordings. You just need to scroll back in time in the app under the current image being streamed, but because of what I said before is quite jumpy and you can't really pin point a particular time, to workaround this you have 2 alternatives:

1. Set your time zone to China, at least temporarily while you review the recordings.

2. Take the SD card out and see the videos on your PC.

Supposedly the time zone problem will be resolved once Xiaomi goes officially global.

That's great thanks. I changed the time and i can see all the recordings very easily. If they just allow the time to be changed it'll be super but for now it's not hard to subtract 7hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭reignschaos

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.
    I got the latest camera with Infra Red, and the night time images are brilliant.

The camera works on the 2.4 WiFi band, so if you have multiple bands on your router and call them the same name, you will have issues connecting. The apps here didn't work for me nor did the QRScan code. I got the latest app from the main site.

Firmware on camera updated itself and in the last few days it seems as if the time zone issue has been resolved. Its now showing for me GMT time.

The only issue i have currently is getting it to record to an SD card. My understanding is it must be a class 10 and 32 gigs max. The one I have in is 64Gigs so that might be the issue.

What I would like to do is save the videos to a hard drive, but from my research it seems as if 1: you need a xiaomi router, 2: a hard drive attached, 3: working SD card in the router.

The way it works is image/video is saved to SD card and then at some interval coped via the router to the Hard Drive. Can anyone confirm this is correct? and has anyone got this working?

If anyone needs additional information let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Firmware on camera updated itself and in the last few days it seems as if the time zone issue has been resolved. Its now showing for me GMT time.

I have one of the 1st Gen cameras without the IR but I still have the Timezone issue!

What firmware version are you on that displays the correct Timezone and not always Chinese Time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 decorativejunk

I got the latest camera with Infra Red, and the night time images are brilliant.

The camera works on the 2.4 WiFi band, so if you have multiple bands on your router and call them the same name, you will have issues connecting. The apps here didn't work for me nor did the QRScan code. I got the latest app from the main site.

The only issue i have currently is getting it to record to an SD card. My understanding is it must be a class 10 and 32 gigs max. The one I have in is 64Gigs so that might be the issue.

What I would like to do is save the videos to a hard drive, but from my research it seems as if 1: you need a xiaomi router, 2: a hard drive attached, 3: working SD card in the router.

The way it works is image/video is saved to SD card and then at some interval coped via the router to the Hard Drive. Can anyone confirm this is correct? and has anyone got this working?

Here is my setup...

Step-1
    created Xpenology NAS virtual machine (VM) setup on my laptop.
    check here xpenology.me

Step-2
    Once setup you will have a synology NAS in your network.
    install surveillance station on xpenology setup.

Step-3
    check this post on how to setup your xiaomi ant cam with surveillance station.
    hxxp://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=95211

Step-4
    Setup Survillance station record schedule

Step-5
    You are done Now you have a professional ipcam DVR setup. enjoy :-)

I have 5 camera setup this way which records directly on my HDD 24/7 (no SD card needed) and I have rotation set for 5 days.

Here is my setup...

Step-1
    created Xpenology NAS virtual machine (VM) setup on my laptop.
    check here xpenology.me

Step-2
    Once setup you will have a synology NAS in your network.
    install surveillance station on xpenology setup.

Step-3
    check this post on how to setup your xiaomi ant cam with surveillance station.
    hxxp://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=95211

Step-4
    Setup Surveillance station record schedule , motion sensing and all.

Step-5
    You are done Now you have a professional ipcam DVR setup. enjoy :-)

And don't forget to install "DS Cam" app from app store to see your all recordings.

BTW did I tell you have now you have Synology NAS setup which means you can access all the photos,movies, songs or any documents from any device within your house network. ;-)

I have 5 camera setup this way which records directly on my HDD 24/7 (no SD card needed) and I have rotation set for 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

You lost me after this bit..............Step-1

eamonnq wrote: »
    You lost me after this bit..............Step-1

:-) Sorry .. NAS is network attached storage which is like a local dropbox.
    its available with in your home wifi network and Synology NAS are best one in market which costs around 200+ euros . But step 1 tells you how to create it(Software) within your laptop for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Looks interesting. I'm a big fan of Xiaomi products. Got the Mipad at xmas and I love it. I think my next phone will be Xiaomi too.

Do you mind me asking g which mipad you went for? Seems to be a lot of choice on the website. Thanks

Reni10
    Actually, I'm wrong, I still have the timezone issue (apologies).
    The display time on the top left is in chinese whilst the timeline on the bottom is GMT.

• Advertisement

decorativejunk
    Many thanks for the instructions. I have a Buffalo NAS now seeing can that software be used on it.

Your setup is very interesting, VM Nas on a laptop for storage. Nicely done.

Anyone else encountering this. I'm using the MI Home app to access the camera. Every time I open it, it tells me there's an update. I can download it, but always fails to install.

I'm on
    Android 5.0.2
    MI Home Version 2.5.3
    Camera Firmware Version 1.8.5.1K_201508311131

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Hi Guys,

I just got this cam and want to view it on my laptop.

I can see the cam on my phone but I can't get it to work with iSpy or IP Cam Viewer (actually I can't even see it in the list of cams in IP Cam Viewer).

But I know the IP of the cam 192.168.11.22 and port 80 and rtsp port 554.

But I can't view my cam in either of these programs. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks

Bumpty bump :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

iba wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I can see the cam on my phone but I can't get it to work with iSpy or IP Cam Viewer (actually I can't even see it in the list of cams in IP Cam Viewer).

But I can't view my cam in either of these programs. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks

What version of firmware do you have on the camera? (You can check using the Smart Home app)

As far as I know, there was a security issue a good while back which meant that the camera was able to access the camera with just your IP address so they enabled a password on the device so that this loop hole would be closed but in doing this, it meant that you wouldn't be able to link the device to applications like iSpy as I don't think anyone knows the password.

I think you actually need to roll back the firmware to access the camera the way you described above. Take a look at a few pages back in the post as I think it's mentioned somewhere. I wouldn't recommend it though, I'd stick with the latest firmware and just use the phone to view.

HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Anyone else encountering this. I'm using the MI Home app to access the camera. Every time I open it, it tells me there's an update. I can download it, but always fails to install.

I'm on
    Android 5.0.2
    MI Home Version 2.5.3
    Camera Firmware Version 1.8.5.1K_201508311131

Yeap, that app has never updated, there is another app that works a bit better that has updates called Yi Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

iba wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thanks

I think others have had more success using VLC (open-source video player available for both Mac/Win). There have been issues getting audio through and getting the camera to start recording when it detects movement/sound but you should be able to get a video stream on your laptop.
    Although I found a lot of useful troubleshooting answers for the Xiaomi Ants here on this forum, it really started out to point out the good economic value of the product (ie bargain). For more technical type questions I'd visit the Xiaomi EU forum... a good place to start would be this post http://en.miui.com/thread-137413-1-1.html
    hope it helps

Guys thanks for your replies.

I have read through this thread and Xiaomi forums -although I have to say I found navigating them very confusing. And the link that you have just posted Yoshmitsu is one thread that I had not come across.

I didn't realise that one could not view the cam through iSpy etc, I must have missed those posts. I did read that the rtsp feed was no longer accessible and the cam could not be viewed with the like of VLC player.

I'm on f/w 1.8.5.1M_201512011815

I have no problems recording or motion detect. But I don't get an email or the like (the way I can do with my Tenvis cam), I just get a 6 second recording that I have the access manually.

I can also relay and receive audio through the cam

I'm using a 32gb class 10 card.

I am using the Yi home app.

I have also tried the smart home app (but who knows if I'm using the right one coz there are so many in the playstore) but cant get it to work at all. My phone will just not scan the QR code on the back of the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

anyone selling one of these in the cork area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I have the app working on my android in Chinese but can find none in English has anyone a link or any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

using YI Home app they seems to have finally sorted out the time issues with the latest update

McG wrote:
    using YI Home app they seems to have finally sorted out the time issues with the latest update

But it's in Chinese

Carpenter wrote: »
    McG wrote:

But it's in Chinese
    Not for the last version or 2 of it (for me anyway).

I'm using 2.10.0.7_20151224

McG wrote:

Hi have you an sd card in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is this the same camera?

Currently on sale for $28.77. Temped to pick it up!

• Advertisement

Carpenter wrote: »
    McG wrote:

Hi have you an sd card in it
    Yes, got a 32gb card in it. Records a few days worth of footage. Used to be a nightmare trying to get to correct time when searching but ok now since they sorted time issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

OREGATO wrote: »
    Just received a letter from customs looking for the receipt!

Any ideas on how much the charges are for this item?

Cheers,

O

The same as every other item, it'll be 23% of your purchase price (including postage) + a €6 handling fee if it's An Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

Is there any improvement on the ability to run more than one on a single LAN with the latest firmware update does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

air wrote: »
    The same as every other item, it'll be 23% of your purchase price (including postage) + a €6 handling fee if it's An Post.

I'd say he has received it by now!! :D

Basq wrote: »
    Is this the same camera?

Currently on sale for $28.77. Temped to pick it up!

Yep, that's the one... but that is pretty much the price now.

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    Is there any improvement on the ability to run more than one on a single LAN with the latest firmware update does anyone know?

I have 3 running simultaneously, so far no problems...

How do I upgraded the software from its present state so I can have it in English on my phone?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Just wondering if anyone can help me with the set up of one of these.

Current set up is half working but a few issues that are stopping this product from being a top top bargain.

i have two cams running the firmware v1.8.5.1L_201510301042.
    I am using the iphone app Mi home - version 2.1.2

First issue - language is chinese (i have installed the english Firmware but when i do that the camera and app do not bind.

Second issue - i cannot connect the second camera, same firmware, flashed the same way, updated, downgraded you name it it just will not connect. at times it did bind to the software but the camera would not turn on.

Third - the time in the video is chinese local time as opposed to GMT

Any one have any idea's about any of the above. willing to try anything at this stage. Does the second camera sound like it is broken?

Thanks

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

been wrestling with this camera for the last two evenings, just will not connect to the livestream, connected, can see the camera and change settings but won't leave me see the video. Did a bit of googling, if the camera is a CN (chinese version) and was made after november 2015 then it will not connect outside of mainland china. Basically rendering the thing bloody useless.:mad:

https://yicamera.wordpress.com/author/yicamera/

thats the blog i found detailing the problem

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of picking one up, I got mine from gearbest

bazery wrote: »
    been wrestling with this camera for the last two evenings, just will not connect to the livestream, connected, can see the camera and change settings but won't leave me see the video. Did a bit of googling, if the camera is a CN (chinese version) and was made after november 2015 then it will not connect outside of mainland china. Basically rendering the thing bloody useless.:mad:

https://yicamera.wordpress.com/author/yicamera/

thats the blog i found detailing the problem

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of picking one up, I got mine from gearbest

mate I have this working on the iPhone. it took me two evenings, numberous f'ing and beeping but I got there. drop me a PM if you want

AdrianII wrote: »
    mate I have this working on the iPhone. it took me two evenings, numberous f'ing and beeping but I got there. drop me a PM if you want

I'm on android, I've tried Chinese version, and English version. It pairs with Chinese app and Chinese firmware but tells me that my camera is turned off. Even though I can change settings the feed never plays.

AdrianII wrote: »

Was your camera made post November 2015?

Here is what I did. I tried it on both android and iOS. Both working.
    Download the 1.8.5.1 L FILE FROM http://xiaoyi.querex.be

Install that onto your camera. Then open the app and bind the two together. The camera will bind and you will be able to turn it on.

I had the exact same issue. I don't think the date it was created matters as you can downgrade the firmware.

Here is what I did. I tried it on both android and iOS. Both working.
    Download the 1.8.5.1 L FILE FROM http://xiaoyi.querex.be

Install that onto your camera. Then open the app and bind the two together. The camera will bind and you will be able to turn it on.

I had the exact same issue. I don't think the date it was created matters as you can downgrade the firmware.

• Advertisement
Advertisement