Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Ants HD IP Camera (Dropcam Clone) for less then €30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

AdrianII wrote: »
    Here is what I did. I tried it on both android and iOS. Both working.
    Download the 1.8.5.1 L FILE FROM http://xiaoyi.querex.be

Install that onto your camera. Then open the app and bind the two together. The camera will bind and you will be able to turn it on.

I had the exact same issue. I don't think the date it was created matters as you can downgrade the firmware.

I hope you are right I ordered a few of them so would love not to have to get something else. I'll give a shot when I get home. Cheers lad

What app version are you on. Or does it matter? I've the Chinese one and I've tried a load of different options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Chinese app v2.1.2 on phone

v1.8.5.1 L on cameras

Chinese app v2.1.2 on phone

v1.8.5.1 L on cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

awesome, just got it working, I will literally never touch the software on this again. Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

Guys,

I have the Chinese version and downloaded the software/app from here:

https://yicamera.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/why-cant-i-pair-my-yi-home-camera/

I have the cam working on several apps and receive push notifications on WeChat.

The apps I have it working on are:

YiCamera - but I can't see what version I'm on or change the time etc because it is all in Chinese.

YiHome - this is in English, the time is fine and I'm on s/w 2.10.1.0_20160129

MiHome - this is in English and Chinese and I seem to be on s/w 1.8.5.1N_201512212009

To be honest I don't really know what I'm doing but at least it's working to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭reignschaos

OREGATO - cheers for confirming that the MI Home app acts like that and it wasn't just my install.
    IBA - that link helps clear up so much about this camera https://yicamera.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/why-cant-i-pair-my-yi-home-camera/

As an aside when I downloaded the Chinese App from the above link via my phone it didn't download correctly. I ended up downloading it onto my PC and transferring it over to my phone manually where it installed fine.

In short for anyone else, there are two versions of this camera, a Chinese one and an International one. If you have the Chinese one, then you need to use the Chinese App to use it otherwise use the international app. The International App is the one available in the Google App store for Android Users. How do you know which version you have, read the link above from IBA.

Whilst I have the Camera working with both Android App Mi Home and Yi Home I would recommend sticking with YI Home, as at least this App will update.

From previous messages in this thread hooking up this camera to a dedicated iCam App is not possible on the latest versions of the cameras firmware. To do this you will need a firmware with RTSP protocol enabled. This site provides links to previous versions of the firmware http://xiaoyi.querex.be/ (but beware you don't know what may have been changed with this firmware by whoever owns the site ie you may be risking your cameras security, as its an unofficial firmware site, as far as I can tell.)

It looks like the Chinese firmware latest version is still at 1.8.5.1L_201510301024 and the international version is at 1.8.5.1N_201601071352.

Now I wonder can we install the International Firmware on a Chinese Camera and associate it with the International app, without bricking it :-), any volunteers !!!

I had one of these but sold it and got a Y-Cam from Amazon. However the Xiaoyi's video quality was much better. The problem I had was with the unstable app and generally unpleasant user experience. Also the motion detection was going off every few seconds and the bloody timestamp was from their Chinese server!!

Don't suppose any of these problems have been solved as like I said the video quality was fantastic. Much better than my Y-Cam which cost about four times as much. But the Y-Cam is just so simple to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

The app I've been using has been fine, it's actually got better.. The issue with the time zones and the markings for the recordings was fixed, the issue is the time stamp is still in a different time zone but this doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Del007

Do any of ye have the night vision camera? Would you recommend it?

• Advertisement

I have one of these but gave up on it. Moved house, and now cannot set it up again on the new network.

Anyone got any up to date firmware for the camera? And the correct App to control it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone got these to work? Is it difficult to set up? Thinking of buying 2 or 3 for house as these are quote cheap. No way I would pay 200 for nest cam, that's crazy expensive. Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Got the one with night vision. Build quality is excellent. It's a very clear picture. There's a little effort required to setup (firmware update + app). If works off your home wifi and has to be plugged into power to work. It only allows recording to network drive if you have an SD card inserted. The app only allows viewing one camera at a time. Great value.

I grabbed two more but but got done for 18euro from customs.

Regarding the set up.

Here is what I did. I tried it on both android and iOS. Both working.
    Download the 1.8.5.1 L FILE FROM http://xiaoyi.querex.be

Install that onto your camera. Then open the app and bind the two together. The camera will bind and you will be able to turn it on.

I had the exact same issue. I don't think the date it was created matters as you can downgrade the firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Anyone have issues when your try review footage on iOS app and it jumps around hard to actually scroll to what you want to see?

has anyone got this to save data onto a network share??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

I got the Xiamomi wifi router, plugged a usb into it and AFAIK the camera is persisting its captures to it.

krazyklown wrote: »
    I got the Xiamomi wifi router, plugged a usb into it and AFAIK the camera is persisting its captures to it.

I also have the router. how did you set it up. I placed the English firmware on mine to but cannot get it to record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭krazyklown

Hi Adrian - Off the top of my head - i think the first thing is the camera only works off the 2.5GHz band of the wi-fi router. I inserted a usb key into the back of the router and used the xiaomi router app and tested creating a folder on it. I have had a few problems with the camera software (dont have an android or iphone) so using blueStacks emulator to configure the camera. On the camera app, I think i had to go to advanced settings and specify the backup folder or something. Sorry thats a bit vague - when i get a chance i will double check and see if i remember anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

If you have any old Android phones lying around, there is an android app "IP Webcam" available that turns the phone into a security camera. It can be set up for continuous or motion detected recording, does live streaming of video and sound and you can also take photos at full resolution remotely etc.
    It's only limited by the quality of the phone really but even on a fairly basic model it's going to be far superior to the likes of the Xiaomi.
    The exception is if you need the infra red illumination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

air wrote: »
    If you have any old Android phones lying around, there is an android app "IP Webcam" available that turns the phone into a security camera. It can be set up for continuous or motion detected recording, does live streaming of video and sound and you can also take photos at full resolution remotely etc.
    It's only limited by the quality of the phone really but even on a fairly basic model it's going to be far superior to the likes of the Xiaomi.
    The exception is if you need the infra red illumination.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam

This one ?

• Advertisement

Another option for today only, remote pan and tilt for €52.50
    http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product-specs/10810/23583/skytronic-ip-camera-wifi.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Are there any cameras like the xiaomi in style but have rtsp as standard and SD card recording etc. as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Got one delivered yesterday, a Chinese version.

I just had to get the Chinese apk for yi home.

Camera firmware is 1.8.5.1L but there's an update available to 1.8.6.1B. Has anyone updated to this on one of the Chinese ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bigmike99

reni10 wrote: »
    Are there any cameras like the xiaomi in style but have rtsp as standard and SD card recording etc. as well?

check geekbuying, this week that have a promo THIS WEEK with some other brand with about 5 model choices of survalance cams...

QUESTION!
    Is there an internation version app? ( i presume so since ive seen an int version cam)
    Does the international app work with the chinese version of the night vision Xioami Yi cam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

bigmike99 wrote: »
    check geekbuying, this week that have a promo THIS WEEK with some other brand with about 5 model choices of survalance cams...

QUESTION!
    Is there an internation version app? ( i presume so since ive seen an int version cam)
    Does the international app work with the chinese version of the night vision Xioami Yi cam?

I couldn't get the Chinese camera with night vision to work with the international app from playstore. I downloaded the Chinese app for the phone and it worked fine, most of the app is in English so it's easy enough to figure it out.

Keith186 wrote: »
    Got one delivered yesterday, a Chinese version.

I just had to get the Chinese apk for yi home.

Camera firmware is 1.8.5.1L but there's an update available to 1.8.6.1B. Has anyone updated to this on one of the Chinese ones?
    Hi,

I'm on version 1.8.6.1B_201603181307.

I can't view my cameras outside of my network anymore. Any one else notice this.

iOS app updated last week and could be the issue.

seems there is an issue accessing video outside of your home network

http://en.miui.com/thread-270554-1-1.html

Yep I'm on 1.8.6.1B_201603181307 on the camera

• Advertisement

Yep I'm on 1.8.6.1B_201603181307 on the camera

Can you access the video on 3G? Or are you having the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Anybody recommend this item? I am considering one but seems to be alot of issues with it according to this thread.

@tylercheribini It depends. My post on page 11 should help clear up the options. However if your on Apple OS then their seems to be a universal issue when trying to connect over 3G.

Let me know how do you wish to use the camera and I'll ill let you know if it may or may not suit your needs.

@AdrianII I'm using Android and on the home wifi and under 3G I can use the Yi Home and get a camera feed.

Not sure what is going on.

Trying to access my cam outside of my home network on wifi.

All I get on the Yi Home camera app is a black screen.

However using the Yi Camera app and the Mi Home app I'm picking up the feed perfectly.

I know, I know, three different apps to do the same thing; I just like to try everything.

I wonder if I need to do a reset on the camera to get the YI Home app to work again.

Regards

@tylercheribini It depends. My post on page 11 should help clear up the options. However if your on Apple OS then their seems to be a universal issue when trying to connect over 3G.

Let me know how do you wish to use the camera and I'll ill let you know if it may or may not suit your needs.

Took the plunge anyway, 30 euro wont break the bank. Ill pick your brains when it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone know is it possible to set one of these to transmit to server or watch on browser ? since looked many on amazon and most are only compatible with tablets phones,and only few support live feed to browser usually explorer and dont have any dedicated software for pc.

scamalert wrote: »
    anyone know is it possible to set one of these to transmit to server or watch on browser ? since looked many on amazon and most are only compatible with tablets phones,and only few support live feed to browser usually explorer and dont have any dedicated software for pc.
    Add your reply here.My understanding is that you can not view the Yi Camera in a browser.

• Advertisement

Another reason an old android running "Alfred" or "IP Webcam" or any number of similar apps is going to be far superior to these things. Proper reliable interfaces from phones, web or anything else. No issues with multiple nodes on your network either and you could even use it somewhere without WiFi or fixed broadband.

Would a 32gb sd card suffice for this or should I go larger? I would probably only have camera set to record only when motion detected and I wouldn't be away too long from recording site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Would a 32gb sd card suffice for this or should I go larger? I would probably only have camera set to record only when motion detected and I wouldn't be away too long from recording site.

It depends on where the camera is and how much movement it's likely to detect. I have one in my living room to check in on my kids (so I won't miss first steps, etc) and it holds over a week set to record on motion.

I plan to use it for exterior security purposes primarily, most it will probably pick up is the postman or the odd raffle ticket seller I hope. Yours is a 32gb too? Sounds more than enough for me then I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

I plan to use it for exterior security purposes primarily, most it will probably pick up is the postman or the odd raffle ticket seller I hope. Yours is a 32gb too? Sounds more than enough for me then I reckon.

yeah. 32GB should be loads for you.

McG wrote: »
    yeah. 32GB should be loads for you.

Cheers

• Advertisement

What is the recommended combo of camera firmware and apk versions for these ?

Can't get the the app to see my camera at all now (was working fine a while back), but when I get as far as pointing the camera at the QR code nothing happens.

@ Tyler - I use 32gb (i've a feeling that they can't take 64gb)

@ Eamonn - more info. please. Is it the Chinese version of the cam or not? What app. are you sing, there are several. Mine is no longer working on Yi Home, but is on Mi Home and Yi camera.

iba wrote: »

@ Eamonn - more info. please. Is it the Chinese version of the cam or not? What app. are you sing, there are several. Mine is no longer working on Yi Home, but is on Mi Home and Yi camera.

Was using the Yi Home app, chinese version of the cam. Will try the others and see if I can get any further when I get a chance.

eamonnq wrote: »
    iba wrote: »

Was using the Yi Home app, chinese version of the cam. Will try the others and see if I can get any further when I get a chance.
    As I said Yi Home not working for me either (since last update) and I have not had a chance to try and fix it yet. Also using Chinese version.

Anybody got a link to the Mi Home apk that works ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement