Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog eating it own poo

• 04-02-2015 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I can't stop my dog from eating her poo .
    I'm not around during the day so I can't stop her ...anyone any ideas how to stop this ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've heard that feeding a slice of pineapple a day makes the poo unappetising, I've never tried it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yes Pineapple can work alright but it can be a very hard habit to break. Can you confirm the breed and age of the dog?

I know with my Lab she seemed to outgrow it once she hit about 3 years old. I had to follow her out to the garden everytime though and pick it up straight away to stop her eating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

What food are you giving her, as sometimes they do it because what is coming out hasn't been digested properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 loughree39

Thanks for the reply all ..
    It's a stray dog I took in I think its around 2 but cant be sure
    It's a cross of 2 small dogs as she is no more than a foot high..I feed her tins of pedigree ,its just I have kids and I don't like the idea of her licking them ..I'm thinking of bringing it to the pound if I can't get her to stop

• Registered Users Posts: 8 loughree39

It's a cross of 2 small dogs as she is no more than a foot high..I feed her tins of pedigree ,its just I have kids and I don't like the idea of her licking them ..I'm thinking of bringing it to the pound if I can't get her to stop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

loughree39 wrote: »

It may simply be the food you are feeding? If a food has a high cereal content that could be a factor. Pedigree wouldn't have the best of ingredients.

As an example I used to feed my dogs Burns dry food. Good brand but has over 60% rice in it. 2 of my dogs used to eat their poo aswell. Since I have changed to a food with more meat this bad habit has stopped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

One good way to invite a dog to eat its own poop is to feed tinned food.
    OP, there are all sorts of reasons why dogs do this, but the first logical thing to try is changing onto a half-decent quality diet.... Tinned pedigree is about the worst you could be feeding her.
    And could you do something just for me? I have a bugbear about owners calling their dog "it"! Will you refer to her as "she"? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Piping in as the owner of a rescued dog that ate his own poo - change the diet. Once I cut cereal out, he completely stopped doing it, except on a few rare occasions when he had accidents and ate them out of fear (but that's to do with previous abuse).

On a side note, did you just take in a stray off the street? Did you report her to the dog warden and let her do her obligatory week-long stay there? You can't really just take a dog in, she could belong to someone who is looking for her! Plus, if you surrender her to the pound, there is a fee you will be obliged to pay as you are ebso facto the owner, and she might only have 24 hours before being put to sleep. If you are serious about owning her, work with her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Pineapple normally works. Makes the poo distasteful, and also perhaps adds some mineral that's missing temporarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Having the same problem here op and I started putting pineapple juice in their food. Got a new jack russell pup rescue & started eating my other 4 dog's poo aswell. It seem's to be working already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Makeup

I've been following this thread as I'm hoping to get a dog and want to be prepared. What food do you recommend that has high meat content rather than high cereal content? Can you get dry food that has a high meat content?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, plenty of foods have a high meat content but are a little pricier. Try the likes of Taste of The Wild, Acana, Orijen etc. Just look at the ingredients on the bag or on the website and ensure the first ingredient is meat and not cereal.

Dogfooddirect do a high meat content one, 50% and its around 49 euro. Im currently feeding it to one of my dogs along with raw too which I hope to switch over to totally when I get a freezer to store it all properly.

Advertisement