Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill Goldberg

• 04-02-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Watched a few hours of him in WCW and then the E and started thinking about one thing...why did he ultimately fail in WWE?

The man was a monster in WCW. And should have been given a similar build in the E. To an extent he was but they should have been given an extended run as champ. To me he was money.

Maybe that's what it was...money. But there was also the fact that Hunter wanted the title too much and ay e there where too many Bulls as good ole JR. Would say.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Watched a few hours of him in WCW and then the E and started thinking about one thing...why did he ultimately fail in WWE?

The man was a monster in WCW. And should have been given a similar build in the E. To an extent he was but they should have been given an extended run as champ. To me he was money.

Maybe that's what it was...money. But there was also the fact that Hunter wanted the title too much and ay e there where too many Bulls as good ole JR. Would say.

Any thoughts?

I remember watching him in e and he just did not seem interested in being there, most of his matches where boring and had very little enthusiasm, his last match was a snore fest, This may be down to how he was treated(though i don't know if he was treated badly at all) e did have allot of stars at the time and Vince isn't exactly known for his niceness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I think Goldbergs problem was he wasn't booked or portrayed like he was in WcW. He got over having short squash matches and not saying much and just destroying guys. WWE had him in longer matches, putting people over etc etc.

The infamous wig segment with Goldust absolutely killed him imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gavster1982

Personally I believe could have been the next Hogan. I also Believe Hunter was jealous of his popularity. They could have had a Long feud swapping the title if necessary.

Still get goosebumps watching destroy Raven and the Flock in WCW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The problem was wwe and HHH, they couldnt have Bill Goldberg the wcw wrecking ball coming in mowing through the wwe roster, no chance, the one time he was booked like he was a monster was in the elimination chamber, that is until HHH entered of course.

They took everything he had and tried to wwe him, was never gonna work from the start, sure they even changed his entrance music.

Just put it down to yet another wwe missed opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The problem was wwe and HHH, they couldnt have Bill Goldberg the wcw wrecking ball coming in mowing through the wwe roster, no chance, the one time he was booked like he was a monster was in the elimination chamber, that is until HHH entered of course.

They took everything he had and tried to wwe him, was never gonna work from the start, sure they even changed his entrance music.

Just put it down to yet another wwe missed opportunity

This mainly. Like with everyone else that comes in, they have to be fed to HHH. Scott Steiner was the same. He has to get involved with everyone new that comes in. Sting will be no different.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    This mainly. Like with everyone else that comes in, they have to be fed to HHH. Scott Steiner was the same. He has to get involved with everyone new that comes in. Sting will be no different.

Steiner was ****e when he came to WWE in fairness. Well past his prime. The matches he had were horrendously bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Steiner was ****e when he came to WWE in fairness. Well past his prime. The matches he had were horrendously bad.

He was. But could he have done better, if Trips wasn't straight in there with the weighlifting and bodybuilding competitions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

They pretty much booked to Steiner's weaknesses and didn't treat Goldberg like the beast that his reputation (and presumably his contract) demanded. The first year of Brock's return run would be a good comparison to Goldberg, it makes absolutely no sense to not make him completely dominant for the first while at least, but they let their egos get in the way instead.

While we're on the subject, we can safely say HHH absolutely buried Booker T into oblivion.

Steiner and Goldberg are debatable. Booker most definitely not. That WM19 match still makes me mad.

Dont forget DDP to, squashed by the Undertaker

Also the best thing about Steiner was his debut in the garden.

• Advertisement

Sting will be no different.

Oh i disagree, its taking them this long to get him, there is no chance hes coming in to do a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The Vigilante Sting will be no different.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Combination of things hurt him in WWE -

1. Came in and feuded with The Rock. Rock was so far ahead of him on the mic that he was making Goldberg look bad in comparison. Fans loved Hollywood Rock at this point and the feud didn't work the way it could have.

2. Comedy segments with Goldust.

3. He didn't go over at Summerslam when the crowd was at their hottest for him.

4. Evolution feud was poorly booked. Too often Evolution got the upper hand, which works with a sympathetic babyface but not with someone like Goldberg.

5. Kane - Kane was hot after unmasking but it was wearing off quickly. He was shoehorned into the title picture for no real reason and it was just poorly executed. The buildup was bad and the triple threat was even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Coupled with the fact is he actually wasn't very good in the ring i recently watched the monday night wars special on him and was amazed he was so poor in ring ..Having never really seen much of him in WCW i think the minute he lost his streak the interest in the character went, Much like Joe in TNA a few years back with the main diffrence being Joe was a fantastic wrestler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I think the OP's question has been pretty much answered but it was a missed opportunity not bringing him in 2001. The Invasion PPV sold 700,000+ even without the big names of WCW's heyday, they could have afforded him.

Fwiw, the only Goldberg match I ever saw that I thought was really good was vs Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000 I think it was. If you've seen one of his squash matches you've seen all of them.

Ageyev wrote: »
    I think the OP's question has been pretty much answered but it was a missed opportunity not bringing him in 2001. The Invasion PPV sold 700,000+ even without the big names of WCW's heyday, they could have afforded him.

Fwiw, the only Goldberg match I ever saw that I thought was really good was vs Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000 I think it was. If you've seen one of his squash matches you've seen all of them.

The match with DDP at Halloween Havoc 98 was really good. Matches with Saturn and Raven were decent too.

He was limited, but he did what he was good at amazingly well. I doubt anyone else could have made that streak work as well as he did.

The accident with Bret was unfortunate, but it can happen. No one would say Owen was a bad wrestler and look what happened with him and Austin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Goldberg failed simply because he was a WCW star. At the time, anyone who made their name in WCW got treated like crap. DDP, Booker T, Scott Steiner and so on. Triple H does deserve some of the blame, but most of it goes to Vince himself. He only wanted to make the WCW stars look inferior to his own stars. With no other company anywhere close to his level, he could afford to do it. Why do you think Sting kept turning them down for so long? He knew Vince was willing to cut off his nose to spite his face. It's been said many times but Vince is a Millionaire who should be a Billionaire. Decisions like this is why he isn't.

Look at the end of the invasion for another example of Vince wanting his own guys to look great at the expense of what made sense. The focus was almost never on the WCW (and ECW) guys, it was all on Austin, Angle and the McMahon kids. Pretty sure RVD is the only invader who came out looking good and that wasn't due to his booking.

Advertisement