Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to keep Title Deeds?

Options
  • 04-02-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Where would you suggest is the best place to keep home title deeds?

I suppose options include;
    a) pay conveyancing solicitor an annual fee to retain them.
    b) keep them at home (though presumably this is potentially risky)

Are there any other possible options, or do you have any comments on the options above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You could install a safe in your house and keep them in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Just to add another option for you.

c) Safety Deposit Box

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

You could get your solicitor to register the property with the Land Registry; the Registry will take the deeds and issue a folio for the property, so that removes the risk of lost deeds, etc. (It also makes any future sale much simpler.) Could be costly enough depending on the complexity of the Title, but it's a 1-off cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

I think all property purchases are now registered. So the paper deeds are less valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.kefron.com/solutions/kefron-filestores/deed-storage

They have thing called Safe keep for household deeds for indivuduals.

Bascially in a vault for 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You could install a safe in your house and keep them in there.
    What if there is a fire? :) I realise that some safes are fire rated, but that might not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Victor wrote: »
    What if there is a fire? :) I realise that some safes are fire rated, but that might not be enough.

You have the same risk in any other small storage facility like an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You have the same risk in any other small storage facility like an office.
    But at least your house wouldn't have burned down. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Sorry Imroy for asking this on your thread........... Can anyone tell me, what would happen if you lost the deeds to your property and if they were stolen, would the thief be able to sell your property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sorry Imroy for asking this on your thread........... Can anyone tell me, what would happen if you lost the deeds to your property and if they were stolen, would the thief be able to sell your property?

Nope would have to prove ownership, which would be difficult. If they had enough information they could probably get a mortage pretending to be you.

Costs a few quid to get an old deed reinstated, newer ones not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I know a guy(not another urban myth!) Who got his hands on the deed of a homestead. Nobody knew he had them. He went two towns away and into a solicitors, and attempted to get them changed to his own name. No problem, leave it with me and come back in two weeks, ill have good news by then
    Two weeks later he walks in and there's the rightful owner to meet the greedy hound!

You should see if you have any replies in the legal forum as well. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

wowy wrote: »
    You could get your solicitor to register the property with the Land Registry; the Registry will take the deeds and issue a folio for the property, so that removes the risk of lost deeds, etc. (It also makes any future sale much simpler.) Could be costly enough depending on the complexity of the Title, but it's a 1-off cost.

This, deeds are increasingly of historical rather than monetary value now, all deeds are moving to being stored electronically. You don't necessarily need a solicitor in order to register deeds, certainly if it is straight forward you can do it yourself, I have found them very helpful

http://www.prai.ie/fees/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

With regards to the original question, my parents property deeds are kept in Ulster Bank. I think they said they pay €50 a year for them to be kept there

Advertisement