Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Barden has retired

• 04-02-2015 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭

Super player, one of the best forwards in the modern game and has been for many years. Direct, powerful runner... inspirational for Longford.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Brilliant player alright.

Named on the Leinster best 15 of the previous 25 years in 2009 and deservedly so.

He should have been nominated for an all star in 2012 whe he was outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Never heard of him. What age is he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Class footballer. Very hard to stop in full flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Never heard of him. What age is he ?

34 I think. Fabulous footballer. Himself and his brother kept Longford competitive for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ive known Paul for more than 20 years and you would be hard pressed to find as dedicated and as down to earth a footballer anywhere in the country. A model professional and at his peak, as good as anyone of the big county players. From under 16 to senior he was the catalyst for Clonguish and he has won everything there is to win at club level. He is more modest than anyone yet took defeats more personally than anyone, thats the measure of the man.

Longford seem to produce one exceptional talent per generation, in the 80s/early 90s it was Dessie Barry, then Padraig Davis, then Paul.

3 players that if they were from the likes of Kerry or Dublin would have allstars and All Irelands coming out of their ears.

Its a sad day for the county but at this stage he deserves a break, he has given everything for the last 17 years and utterly earned all the plaudits he has received, though not nearly as many as he deserved.

Cracking soundbite from Michael below, cant get much more of an endorsement than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Good player great servant to Longford wouldn't have looked out of place in the current Dublin senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Never heard of him.
    :eek: I'd say you would be one of the few that never heard of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

:eek: I'd say you would be one of the few that never heard of him.

Genuinely hadn't but I'm from Cork so I'd never get to see Leinster Games and I don't ever remember Cork playing Longford.

I think guys like him are the unsung heros of the GAA - they put in as much if not more effort than the players in the top counties and usually never win much. It's great to have the lower division finals in CP and the other trophies that have been introduced are also a help.

I think threads like this are great and the post by Business Cat is a fantastic tribute.

I wish the guy well on his retirement and I'd love to see RTE use guys like him as Football Pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Genuinely hadn't but I'm from Cork so I'd never get to see Leinster Games and I don't ever remember Cork playing Longford.

I think guys like him are the unsung heros of the GAA - they put in as much if not more effort than the players in the top counties and usually never win much. It's great to have the lower division finals in CP and the other trophies that have been introduced are also a help.

I think threads like this are great and the post by Business Cat is a fantastic tribute.

I wish the guy well on his retirement and I'd love to see RTE use guys like him as Football Pundits.

A nice idea, if he would be keen to do that.

There are some sub-standard pundits about, who seem to get selected on the basis of what county they come from.

No arguments when you're talking about someone like Peter Canavan, but how in the name of God Senan Connell got a pundit job is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

freddiek wrote: »
    A nice idea, if he would be keen to do that.

There are some sub-standard pundits about, who seem to get selected on the basis of what county they come from.

No arguments when you're talking about someone like Peter Canavan, but how in the name of God Senan Connell got a pundit job is beyond me.

I quite like Senan Connell. Unlike a lot of other pundits he's always in a good mood and has great enthusiasm for the game, its a pleasant change for the merchants of doom on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Being a good player doesn't mean you're a good pundit at all. In fact, some brilliant players have the most boring, dull insights into the game which tell you nothing... you have to be able to articulate your knowledge too.

I have no idea whether Barden would be a good one or not, but I've seen plenty of great players talk absolute shíte, in all sports.

Advertisement