Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass in National Concert Hall

Options
  • 04-02-2015 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

https://www.nch.ie/Online/Perspectives-Philip-Glass-04May15

For some reason website is not working correctly but I spotted today and found google cached:

Perspectives 2015:
    Philip Glass - The Études
    Monday 4th May, 8.00pm
    Philip Glass
    Philip Glass: The Etudes
    Start Date04-05-2015 20:00
    Room: Main Auditorium
    Price: €35, €40
    10% discount for Friends of the National Concert Hall

Philip Glass, piano
    Maki Namekawa, piano
    Timo Andres, piano

The American composer performs his now complete twenty Études for Piano, alongside pianists Maki Namekawa and Timo Andres.

An introspective portrait of the composer over two decades, The Études is an immersive journey into one composer’s personal soundscape as expressed in the depth and breadth of a single instrument.

One of the most influential composers since the 1970s, Philip Glass started writing this series of twenty piano pieces in the mid-90s to expand his piano technique with music that would enhance and challenge his playing. The result is a body of work that has a broad range of dynamic, tempo and emotion. Throughout the 1990s, he completed 16 of the etudes, each of which take a unique approach to the instrument. The final four études were commissioned in celebration of Glass’s 75th birthday in 2012.

Presented by the National Concert Hall

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Philip Glass is about as relevant to the classical forum as our President is to the Poetry one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Philip Glass is about as relevant to the classical forum as our President is to the Poetry one.

Which one you recommend then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

zom wrote: »
    Which one you recommend then?

Just ignore them, some people think anything this side of Verdi is not Classical music. I seen Glass the last time he was in Ireland. Have to admit, my biggest issue was that I didn't think he was an overly good piano player which affected my overall enjoyment of the concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Oh, I'm not a fan of the Études. I would love to have seen the Timp concerto though!

I've seen criticisms of Glass playing his own piano pieces before.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

dibkins wrote: »
    Oh, I'm not a fan of the Études. I would love to have seen the Timp concerto though!

I've seen criticisms of Glass playing his own piano pieces before.

One day it'll be done here :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

¡Ay, caramba! It's almost sold out already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I saw Glass play some of his etudes and other works in Louth a few years ago.... had built it up to be 2 hours of repeated scales but was pleasantly surprised that it was quite 'Lyrical'.

Some of his works do have really good melodies in there.

Have a listen to Facades.. it's as good as any mozart in it's simplicity.

Folk saying 'it's not classical' are just showing their misunderstanding of the word (the word is a misappropriation in itself).

Actually in terms of the whole Lineage in the history of 'classical music', then minimalist music plays it's part as a logical progression in the western art tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Besides all that I didn't think he was a bad player at all.

Why should Philip Glass be sitting at home while some other shmohawk is out touring and collecting all the dosh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jillymayr

I love Philip Glass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

He's to classical music, what Blink 182 are to punk rock music!

• Advertisement
Advertisement