Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

ooops FD, there will be no going back now... we have created a pacing monster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Here to help, with additional chatter thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    Here to help, with additional chatter thrown in.

Dont worry, you'll be called up again for sure!!! All I good time :-) how was santry??

Wednesday 18th June AIS stretches, foam rolling and some strength training

Thursday 19th June club session - the board said 'easy with strides' turned out to be 5 x 300 @ 10k pace which should have been easy enough granted but I was in no mood to be chasing other peoples 10k pace this eve so forgot about being paddy last and tried to go easy enough, still ended up doing 7.45-7.50 ish. Recovery was jogging the last 100m & start again. Thankfully only 5 of these, am still knackered / jet lagged and not sleeping properly, should really have been in bed an hour ago :rolleyes: Foot still bugging me too so will do some more foam rolling & stretching tomorrow and a few gentle miles with some strides.

Nerves kicking in now for Saturday. PB from last year (Maynooth 10K) was 55.18, Kclub 10K in April was 56.34, the goal on Saturday is sub 55. If I can do that on Sat then plan then is to do 10K specific training and aim for 50 before the year ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck for tomorrow, hope you hit the sub-55

• Advertisement

Hope all goes well today FD!

annapr wrote:
    Hope all goes well today FD!

Absolutely, all the very best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck, chat to you later.

Thanks guys, the only downside to this race is the llong wait till this eve....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Firedance wrote: »
    Thanks guys, the only downside to this race is the llong wait till this eve....

+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Absolutely. This evening start has me thrown. Good luck, catch you later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Good luck!

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Absolutely. This evening start has me thrown. Good luck, catch you later.

Ah brill, had lost track of who's in & who's out - see you later & good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck FD, don't forget the wand. I think you'll have a good un :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the Best FD! Bring it home:)

Looks like a good result for you, FD!! Well done!

:):):):):)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    :):):):):)

54.10 approx delighted, hot. Off for cake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Brilliant! Knew you'd be well under the 55. Enjoy the cake:D

• Advertisement

You are on a roll!! Well done!!! Can't wait to read all about it :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You are on a roll!! Well done!!! Can't wait to read all about it :)

Will do race report tomorrow, cake has turned into drinks :-) didn't see nope unfortunately but great to catch up with Adrian & Laura & big congrats to our ladies & men's team who came 2nd

Will do race report tomorrow, cake has turned into drinks :-) didn't see nope unfortunately but great to catch up with Adrian & Laura & big congrats to our ladies & men's team who came 2nd

Well done! So pleased for you. Great course but it was warm and windy.

I think I saw you... I saw a lady finishing just over 54 minutes, hands raised in the air and pumped fists? Looking really pleased with her time? From your finishing time, that must have been you..! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, great running there tonight. Sorry for running out at the end, didn't see you when I came back from getting changed.

nop98 wrote: »
    Well done! So pleased for you. Great course but it was warm and windy.

I think I saw you... I saw a lady finishing just over 54 minutes, hands raised in the air and pumped fists? Looking really pleased with her time? From your finishing time, that must have been you..! :)

Yep, sounds like me :-) next time come over & say hi 🙋 well done to you too!!

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done, great running there tonight. Sorry for running out at the end, didn't see you when I came back from getting changed.
    No probs Adrian :-) lots of mingling going on between boards & club mates, great post race atmosphere.

Yahoo. Well done. Head and legs ok today?

Yep, sounds like me :-) next time come over & say hi 🙋 well done to you too!!

Thank you - sorry, I lost you in the crowd after the finish and I had my (rapidly tiring) supporter hanging off me, decided to head back straight away.

Well done again - that's quite a chunk of your PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Well done on the PB!

• Advertisement

Saturday 20th June Dunshauglin 10K

I signed up for this a while ago as I had done it last year and really hoping to see some 10K improvement since the K club earlier in the year. I knew it was very soon after the Chicago half but nothing ventured nothing gained... I must have put my 5 mile time into half a dozen race calculators to see what it gave me, they all said the same thing, well under 55 (in fact under 54) but I knew how tired I was feeling during the week, I was hoping for better but sub 55 was the goal. The pre race nerves kicked in from about Thursday onwards. .

I arrived before 6.30 and got a parking spot in the college which would mean I could change on my way to the refreshments, handy. Met Adrian at this point. I was feeling quite nervous and wondering why the hec I sign myself up for these things. Went in to get my number and then off to do a warm up, some strides, & drills trying to replicate what I done before the 5 miler and off to the start where I met a good number of clubmates. The girls team were hoping to do well. There didn't seem to be any of the messing with getting people back to the start line that there was last year and I'm assuming we started on time.

pace plan was 8.25/8.30 for the first two miles then hang on to 8.40 or as close as possible to the finish.

Mile 1: 8.30 HR 157: Last year I shot off here (new to the club) and paid very dearly from mile 2 onwards, this time I kept a very close eye on the watch. Felt at times like I was going way too slow, was being passed by 'everyone' but stuck to the plan.
    Mile 2: 8.44 HR 163: I was still feeling reasonably ok here, lots of support in the first couple of miles which is great, not sure why this was slower than I'd planned but no panic just yet.
    Mile 3: 8.27 HR 166: All going ok although the effort is starting to increase here, beautiful sunny eve and while I was starting to feel the heat I reminded myself I'd run 13.1 miles in far hotter conditions so this was a doddle :-) and I was half way home. The girl calling splits at the 5K mark said 27.18 I think
    Mile 4: 8.39 HR 166. Garmin says the elevation gain starts around here and increases through mile 5, I'm passing people from this stage on, major improvement on last year!
    Mile 5: 8.47 HR 168, my memory of the hills last year was that they went on forever and they were very steep - not so much this year...I powered up them passing 4 people along the way, I can see 2 more runners in the distance and I decide to pick them off one at a time. I know my pace has slowed but the effort felt the same and as long as I was pushing on as best I could I'd be happy. It was hot as hell now.
    Mile 6: 8.53 HR 171. I had ran past what I thought was the last water station a while back but another one materialised with a mile to go, I should have let it go but didn't and slowed to take the cup, most of it going over my head, I said to myself at the time I was going to regret that stop, it possibly cost me 11 seconds (or more!!). Anyway, too late and it did help at the time. Everything was hurting at this point, breathing very laboured, legs very very tired but I'm concentrating on who's in front of me, we're coming back into the town, lots of support out and some kids throwing water over people having a great time.
    Final stretch: at the 6 mile mark a guy was calling out splits here and I heard 52.xx - 52??? OMG sure the finish is only around the corner, I push on but the legs won't respond, come on! surely I can make it to the finish in under a min? move faster, no response from the legs, I run on, where is the finish line??? I hear a few shout outs here but am focusing on looking straight ahead, there's the finish line, there's the clock, it says 53.xx but then it changes to 54! DAMM DAMM DAMM but my goal is sub 55 so I've got a PB and come in over a minute faster than my PB and nearly 2 mins faster than this race last year. I'm happy with that right? Mostly yes, but the brain starts straight away, you held back too much at the start, you shouldn't have stopped at that last water station, you could have had a sub 54 - STOP!

Met some club mates, quick post mortem, the girls have done well. Into the hall for refreshments and prizegiving. Emila has won (2nd or 3rd can't remember) in her age category, then the girls team got 2nd place too, so celebrations all round. Met Laura here and Adrian again, quick chat, Laura is happy (great time!) Adrian less so. Headed home for a quick shower and change and out to the pub for a few celebration drinks.

Couple of things about this race, the support is great, there were impromptu water stations throughout which was a welcome surprise. The lady with her hose on mist, a very welcome sight! the kids out looking for high 5's and giving jellies & a great spread afterwards (although no chocolate cake?? or was it all gone by the time I got there..).

NIggle scan: my right knee (outside the knee) was sore after I finished and I can still feel it niggling now - if anyone has any stretches/foam rolling areas for this I'd appreciate it, never had pain here before. The foot is still a bit sore but I'll work on that in the coming days. Looking at HR stats in last 2 miles my HR max was 178 & 180 which is right on my max limit

Thanks for all the well wishes & congrats & well done to everyone go got PB's :-)

Advertisement