Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Might be time to book aquinn for a sub 25 ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Might be time to book aquinn for a sub 25 ! :D

never mind sub-25, with those splits you're looking at sub 24!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    never mind sub-25, with those splits you're looking at sub 24!!!

what's the opposite of sandbagging!!! no, that wont' be happening :)

Firedance wrote: »
    what's the opposite of sandbagging!!! no, that wont' be happening :)

You're right, 23:30 is actually on the cards with those training paces...

from our friend McMillan...

5Km
    24:00
    7:43

5Km
    23:30
    7:34

You're right, 23:30 is actually on the cards with those training paces...

from our friend McMillan...

5Km
    24:00
    7:43

5Km
    23:30
    7:34

would you g'wan outta that!!! someone will come along and tell me I was really only doing 8:20's due to GPS inaccuracies :rolleyes: also, its much easier to hold those paces going around in circles on a track than in a race with varying terrain/twists/other runners etc etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm thinking if I race the 5 mile I could probably also race the 5K two weeks later? Hopefully there will be other good 10k's later in the year. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice welcome!

With the likes of 5k-10k race there is absolutely no harm doing one every second weekend; in fact doing 2 in a weekends in a row is not really a problem either. Just remember 1 easy day for every mile raced.

Agree with the others; 3 x 1 mile is generally seen as a 5k predictor session. The pace you hold for the reps is generally your average pace for a 5k.

menoscemo wrote: »
    With the likes of 5k-10k race there is absolutely no harm doing one every second weekend; in fact doing 2 in a weekends in a row is not really a problem either. Just remember 1 easy day for every mile raced.

Agree with the others; 3 x 1 mile is generally seen as a 5k predictor session. The pace you hold for the reps is generally your average pace for a 5k.

thanks meno, will keep a close eye on the next few sessions and I guess we'll see from there, I must have a look at the Rathfarnham route & maybe do a reccy too.

never mind sub-25, with those splits aquinn you're looking at sub 24!!!

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

FYP ;)

My pacing needs work, see Anna report as I was a bit too generous with the 30 seconds under (as in I don't think this is a thing for a 5km, oh well), so anything could happen so we could both end up with a PB unintentionally.

I've a 5km on Sept first so will see how I am after that.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    My pacing needs work, see Anna report as I was a bit too generous with the 30 seconds under (as in I don't think this is a thing for a 5km, oh well), so anything could happen so we could both end up with a PB unintentionally.

I've a 5km on Sept first so will see how I am after that.

its ok A, apparently we're doing 23.20 so with your 30 seconds padding it'll be sub 23 :rolleyes: sure feck it, lets go straight to the big two zero yeah?

its ok A, apparently we're doing 23.20 so with your 30 seconds padding it'll be sub 23 :rolleyes: sure feck it, lets go straight to the big two zero yeah?

Cool, as I said to Anna you can hate me afterwards :)

thanks meno, will keep a close eye on the next few sessions and I guess we'll see from there, I must have a look at the Rathfarnham route & maybe do a reccy too.

Oh when MENO says you're all respectful!!!! :p

Please note he is agreeing with me re. your 5k pace!!

Oh when MENO says you're all respectful!!!! :p

Please note he is agreeing with me re. your 5k pace!!

ha ha oops! well in fairness he's from a county that's still in the championship :D & has a 3.04 marathon pb under his belt :p I still think its fantasy though but we'll see how the next few sessions go..

ha ha oops! well in fairness he's from a county that's still in the championship :D & has a 3.04 marathon pb under his belt :p I still think its fantasy though but we'll see how the next few sessions go..

...Cruel...

...until Sunday anyway :D (but hopefully until Sept)

...Cruel...

...until Sunday anyway :D (but hopefully until Sept)

+1 to this, would much rather meet Tyrone in the final than Kerry, although we may need to provide one of these on the big day....http://tiptonpools.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Picture2.png

• Advertisement

Wednesday 19th Aug Rest: 30 mins S&C followed by foam rolling & stretches. got this http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/how-to-foam-roll-your-calf-muscles/ in my in box yesterday and it has a whole new level of pain when rolling calf muscles...

Thursday 20th Aug 6.11 miles @ 9.59, I'm not sure what this turned into! stared off at easy pace and decided I'd try 2 miles @ 8:00ish in the middle somewhere, epic fail, lasted half a mile!! then remembered I'd done a 'steady' run on Monday, speed session on Tuesday and today should really have been kept easy. Legs were v. tired in the last mile
    pace 10:08, 10:21, 9:05, 9:20, 10:36, 10:02, 10:28
    max HR 143, 150, 171, 166, 162 155 149

will do a recovery run tomorrow then two easy runs sat/sun.

Wednesday 19th Aug Rest: 30 mins S&C followed by foam rolling & stretches. got this http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/how-to-foam-roll-your-calf-muscles/ in my in box yesterday and it has a whole new level of pain when rolling calf muscles...

How horrific was the pain and how good are the calves now?

aquinn wrote: »
    How horrific was the pain and how good are the calves now?

on a scale of 1-10 I'd say about a 12 :eek:, its the part in the video where you rest the 'knot' on the foam roller and rock your leg from side to side, ouch ouch OUCH, and actually, today my right calf is feeling very tender so perhaps I went a bit too far...

Friday 21st Aug 4 miles @ 10.32, tried to keep this around 11 or so for recovery and concentrate on form etc etc, also tried out DG transverse abdominal yokie as I imagined it might be, the result of doing these was a short zippy pace :) anyway, it felt comfortable and v. easy so we'll call it recovery(ish). Absolutely cracking day out there although very windy, hopefully it dies down for tomorrows race.

Saturay 22nd Aug a spot of cheer-leading at Frank Duffy 10 mile with Bungy Girl, a big WELL DONE to aquinn, annpr and murphd & Chickey2 on your shiny new PB's, everyone looked strong and in top form out there today. Also spotted Meno, FB0T & marthastew, well done guys. Managed to find some of the novices from the DCM thread too, Toulouse, Denisb Mrs Mac & Nope, well done to you all today.

We had a club table quiz last night and being the dutiful club member I went along to support it :cool: too many beers later I finally made it home so I was not looking forward to my own run today. Fuelled only by 2 of someone's post race jellies and a bottle of water I headed straight out the door when I got home for a whopping 5 miles @ 10.30 avg hr 139, very hot still but glad to be done and dusted, off to hydrate properly for my long run tomorrow!

• Advertisement

very hot still but glad to be done and dusted, off to hydrate properly for my long run tomorrow!

It was freezing in D.3 ! And wet and windy :rolleyes:. I got my 5.7 done anyway. PM me your email and I'll send you that plan. Enjoy tomorrow's LSR!

crazy stuff we saw today spectating at FD

two guys stopped dead on the finish straight (meaning someone ran into the back of them) and then pulled over to the side. No race numbers on so they what? ran the course without signing up & therefore no chip time etc. Not sure I could see the point but more importantly they nearly caused serious injury to the guy that ran into the back of them..

A girl, who had already finished her race, ran out into the finish straight to accompany her friend over the line running straight into another runner in the process and actually knocking him sideways - what on earth???? took us a few mins to get over that one!

Three guys running fairly close together on the finish straight, one decides he's going to 'win' pulls in front of the other guy who then pushes him away, I actually thought there was going to be a punch thrown - there was plenty of room for Mr Sprinter to jog on without tripping up his fellow competitors...

People walking from mile 1.

Spectators crossing the road when there really wasn't space to do so meaning runners had to weave.

Cheering on people with earphones is a thankless task :rolleyes:

did I miss anything BG :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cheering on people with earphones is a thankless task :rolleyes:

did I miss anything BG :D:D

But I bet they would all argue they had their volume down low and would be able to hear an ambulance :)

Thanks for the shout out today (I think) sorry I couldn't manage much more than a nod!

menoscemo wrote: »
    But I bet they would all argue they had their volume down low and would be able to hear an ambulance :)

Thanks for the shout out today (I think) sorry I couldn't manage much more than a nod!

ha ha yes, I'm sure, although given they couldn't hear us cheering them (respective clubmates) they'd loose that argument...

Yep that was us :) hope you had a good race

Sounds like an accurate summary FD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Whatever about earphones, it's the giant "whole head" cans that get my goat. The message is clearly "I am disengaged, and that's the way I like it".

Sounds like an accurate summary FD!

mad stuff... especially the finishing antics.... imagine if you were flat out going for home and some idiot gets in your way.... :eek:

Sunday 23rd Aug: Boards appears to be broken :eek: Reduced to logging on the phone...

15 mile cycle with club mate at her LSR pace, weather Marty Pello would be proud of. Had brought a change of clothes & planned to do my 10 miles once we were finished but had enough of the park by then. Headed home, quick change & out the door. Decided to do loops of the village so I could ditch the jacket if the rain stopped & mentally no matter how wet I was home wasn't far away.. Did nearly 7 miles close to home & ditched the soaked jacket, headed a bit further afield for the last 3 miles. All in all it wasn't a bad run, struggled a good bit in the last couple of miles but better than last weeks effort at least

10 miles @ 10:29, avg hr 137.

Spent the afternoon on the couch watching semi no 1, super match all in all but very disappointing result.

I know she didn't get through her heat and I don't care what anyone else thinks, we are immensely proud of you Sara Treacy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I know she didn't get through her heat and I don't care what anyone else thinks, we are immensely proud of you Sara Treacy :)

For once I agree with you, well said.

• Advertisement

Monday 24th August 4.11 miles @ 11:12, avg hr 129, max hr 140
    again made a concerted effort to keep this in the HR recovery zone which for me is less than 140, much more pleasant conditions this eve :)

something felt very odd with my foot on my 10 mile yesterday, I couldn't figure it out for a while until I realised - NO PAIN! none, not even a teeny tiny bit, had to look down a few times to see if foot was in fact still attached :) having said that my calves are feeling very tender on both legs and TFL/IT band and hips are all making their presence felt, so might need to pay a visit to physio this week. Noticed the same again this eve, no.actual.pain.. did some foam rolling & stretching post run.

Tuesday 25th August grrrrrrrr! was really looking forward to this session, I wanted to see if I could repeat the reps from last week, everything felt good, I got an early night last night, eating well (5lbs down) hydrating well etc. Got to the track and it was in bits from the rain today so coach decided to take the session out on the road instead. 'Good' I thought, 'that'll really give me a chance to see what 3 x 1 mile on road conditions is like'. We were to jog to a point and start our first mile there. The 'jog' was at 8.48 pace though (had already done 1.5 mile warm up on the track) problem 1 :rolleyes: I hit the lap button when we reached the start point completely forgetting that the distance wasn't pre measured and we'd already run 1/2 mile (I hadn't checked the distance when I hit lap) so when the watch clicked 1 mile I slowed for my recovery jog but I'd only gone 1/2 mile at pace :( I had yet to realise this though.... continued recovery jog then hit lap again for the '2nd mile' at some point here I realised my mistake when the distance was showing 1.xx, now I had no idea what distance I was doing. I stopped the watch completely to measure the 3rd mile right so I'd at least have one right but we reached the village junction before the mile was up and my running mate (a younger girl I wasn't going to leave on her own) was anxious to stop. So this is what I've ended up with.

1.84 miles @ 10.24 warm up
    1.74 miles @ 8.37 as follows
    .66 @ 8:48 'jog to start point'
    .36 @ 7.34
    .27 @ 11 recovery
    .49 @ 7.36
    2.08 miles @ 11.03 as follows
    .70 @ 8.13
    1.37 @ 11.06 including several walk breaks

Completely stupid I know, I did think the distances felt short(!) but the effort was all out so I was only too happy to think I'd done a mile, idiot :rolleyes:

I should have gone off on my own and done mile repeats on the dual carriageway where I had a set distance etc but anyway, lesson learned. Although I'm dammed if I know how to use the watch for stuff like this when the distance isn't pre measured - am I supposed to do maths while running??? Bit like Ray Darcy doing maths on air :eek:
    One thing I did discover, although I already knew this, is that it was much much harder to hold pace on the road, we were up & down on footpaths etc and when I realised my f*ck up with the watch on the 3rd mile mentally I'd given up. The other thing is that my legs absolutely felt that! way more than on the track. Tomorrow is a rest day but I think I'll do a couple miles very slow recovery. Foot feeling slightly tender after that too. So I'm a little less positive re race pace and back to reality with a big bang :)

p.s. Anna, does mcmillan have a calculator for gob****e :D

You can't take anything from that session... other than understandable frustration!

...not sure what watch you use, but you can program in interval sessions so it will measure them for you. Of course, you have to know in advance you're going to need that feature :)

You can't take anything from that session... other than understandable frustration!

...not sure what watch you use, but you can program in interval sessions so it will measure them for you. Of course, you have to know in advance you're going to need that feature :)

nope, you have a fancy watch with bells & whistles, mine doesn't program anything and when the recoveries are by time and the intervals by distance its a step too far for me :rolleyes:

Thursday 27th August 4.03 miles @ 10:29 lunchtime run, forgot the HR monitor this morning but just kept it easyish, roasting out although a nice little breeze. A few niggles making themselves known on this, in particular my right IT band and across the top of my shoulders is extremely tight. Sports massage booked for this evening so hopefully can get those ironed out

So, have recommitted to The Lakes 10K having decided that no-one would notice if I went missing for a few hours next Saturday and I wouldn't be needed until at least lunchtime and god forbid I'd miss something :Dhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96763104&postcount=938 and am especially looking forward to the cheerleading squad extraordinaire :p

My targets for the end of the year are sub 50 10k and sub 25 5k. Dunshaughlin in June was 54.11 so for next Sat the goals will be A: 52:xx B: sub 54, C: have a good race with no mental battles. 'You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them' (thanks JackEim!). The Lakes is not a flat course but it does hold a special place in my heart as it was the first race I ever targeted a finish time (2013, I was targeting my first sub 60 10k & came home in 58.32).

On another not unrelated topic Bolt has done it again and beaten Gatlin in the 200m final. Class act :)

Good 5k in Longwood in October to target that 5k time if Rathfarnham isn''t already the target race for that.

tang1 wrote: »
    Good 5k in Longwood in October to target that 5k time if Rathfarnham isn''t already the target race for that.

thanks Tang, will have a look at that too, no reason not to do both :-) are you back running yet?

thanks Tang, will have a look at that too, no reason not to do both :-) are you back running yet?

6 easy miles yesterday that went well, will get out for another few later hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Sorry for the log highjack FD but what's the course like- is it quick?

Good to hear you are back at it!

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Sorry for the log highjack FD but what's the course like- is it quick?

Good to hear you are back at it!

Direct from the horses mouth J:

Direct from the horses mouth J:

'part of the route includes a kilometer of boreen' holy god, how is that fast :D:D

'part of the route includes a kilometer of boreen' holy god, how is that fast :D:D

Ah ya can't beat the Dub if it's not called the M50 it has to be a bumpy old rickety road!

never mind the quality of the road surface its the cowshíte on it that you should worry about :D

The boreen section, currently cow****e free:

Ah ya can't beat the Dub if it's not called the M50 it has to be a bumpy old rickety road!

ah tang I'm only winding you up :p it looks lovely and as I've already fallen, face first, into cow dung (ok it was 1982) I don't mind the odd cow pack here 'n there :pac:

• Advertisement

That's a quality boreen - looks like a good possibility for October!

Ah here, in donegal that would be a main road. How can it be a boreen when there's no grass in the middle of it? And it has a paved surface. We're just getting so spoiled these days. :cool:

Ah here, in donegal that would be a main road. How can it be a boreen when there's no grass in the middle of it? And it has a paved surface. We're just getting so spoiled these days. :cool:

The road I grew up on got the grass in the middle of it cut once a year by the county council, it brushed off the bottom of the cars during the summer. Alas they resurfaced the road a few years back & the grass is now gone.

Friday 28th August
    Last nights physio/sports massage was uber painful, could barely walk when done my calves were so tender! also she worked on my IT band which I don't normally have a problem with – ouch ouch ouch plus back & shoulders, neck & very painful glutes.... Basically I’m a wreck :)

4 miles @ 10.21 avg hr 136, very enjoyable run accompanied by the fantastic Pink Floyd, I'd completely forgotten I had this album and had to upload it to my ipod last night when TBL mentioned them on his log - Goodbye Blue Sky playing as the sun went down behind the trees :) legs felt good after the first couple of miles so massage clearly did the trick.
    Need to make up a few missed miles tomorrow, might take in the Rathfarnham 5K route & add some miles on my home from parkrun volunteer duties, Sounds like it will be water pistols at dawn between BG and FBOT over in St Annes :D don't injure each other guys!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Friday 28th August
    Last nights physio/sports massage was uber painful, could barely walk when done my calves were so tender! also she worked on my IT band which I don't normally have a problem with – ouch ouch ouch plus back & shoulders, neck & very painful glutes.... Basically I’m a wreck :)

4 miles @ 10.21 avg hr 136, very enjoyable run accompanied by the fantastic Pink Floyd, I'd completely forgotten I had this album and had to upload it to my ipod last night when TBL mentioned them on his log - Goodbye Blue Sky playing as the sun went down behind the trees :) legs felt good after the first couple of miles so massage clearly did the trick.
    Need to make up a few missed miles tomorrow, might take in the Rathfarnham 5K route & add some miles on my home from parkrun volunteer duties, Sounds like it will be water pistols at dawn between BG and FBOT over in St Annes :D don't injure each other guys!!!

Comfortably numb is the Floyd track of choice when my arse/glute gets very tight :)

TbL

• Advertisement
Advertisement