Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    How did you manage the 30 mins @ MP, FD?

hope the ankle/foot is ok.

Hi Anna, I spent the first 30 mins trying to figure out why the HR readings were so high V my pace so was glad when the watch beeped and I could just up the pace and worry less about keeping things under control. I'm not sure how I feel about running by HR yet but will stick with it for another while anyway. The MP 30 mins was fine and I was enjoying the pace until the twinges came along to run my fun, I just slowed right back down and was on my way home at that stage anyway. Did you do this session or was this the one you replaced with 20 mins @ 10k pace? I am enjoying the runs with a pace change in them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »
    Hi Anna, I spent the first 30 mins trying to figure out why the HR readings were so high V my pace so was glad when the watch beeped and I could just up the pace and worry less about keeping things under control. I'm not sure how I feel about running by HR yet but will stick with it for another while anyway. The MP 30 mins was fine and I was enjoying the pace until the twinges came along to run my fun, I just slowed right back down and was on my way home at that stage anyway. Did you do this session or was this the one you replaced with 20 mins @ 10k pace? I am enjoying the runs with a pace change in them :-)

that was the one I replaced. I really enjoy the variety too, although some days it feels tougher than others.

as for the HRM, i've abandoned it again for now, it was doing my head in just trying to figure out my max, never mind actually using it to guide a run. I'll get it out again at some point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I felt the same about the HR stuff at the start, mostly because I didn't like how much it made me slow down and I found it hard to keep under control. It gets less head wrecking after a while though and feels second nature at this stage.

That marathon pace run on the plan is one of my favorites, I find it tough and I'm struggling with it for the first few minutes thinking how will I stick it out but then feels good to let the legs get into a faster pace for a change.

Thanks Laura! good to know, hopefully it all settles down eventually and I get to better understand the readings. Got some great feedback from adrian & clearlier earlier on the graduates thread too regarding breaking up the easy part of those sessions into warm up and cool down so next time I'll be better prepared.

Thanks Laura! good to know, hopefully it all settles down eventually and I get to better understand the readings. Got some great feedback from adrian & clearlier earlier on the graduates thread too regarding breaking up the easy part of those sessions into warm up and cool down so next time I'll be better prepared.

Yeah I was going to reply to say the same as Adrian but he got there before me. Honestly - work just gets in the way :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 11th March AIS and 40 mins strength session followed by foam rolling, felt good after this, took my time and concentrated on form then took some extra time on the foam rolling.

Thursday 12th March 40 mins aprox 4 miles. Got soaked twice twice today so really just wanted to get home and veg on the couch! faffed around for a while then brought the dog for a walk when the rain had stopped, it was actually a nice evening then so decided to throw on the gear and out the door. Watch didnt pick up a signal so I decided to forget about it and just run. Felt amazing, had my racing flats on (no idea why!) and the run felt fluid and strong. I imagine I was going faster than easy but really it was just one of those runs that remind me why I enjoy it so much and its not always 'hard work' :-) Iced the foot and did some stretching when I got home and all feels ok.

Hill sprints tomorrow, I didn't do these the last time they were on the schedule, there's really only one hill close to me but its not that steep, anyway, will just go with that and see how I get on.

Friday 13th March AIS pre run & drills. 6*30 sec hill sprints w 1 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down. Did this with a friend who thought we were doing a few easy miles :D The hill available is not the steepest but it did the job. I wasn't sure what recoveries i was supposed to do here so just took enough to get breathing normally again before launching into the next sprint. Thoroughly enjoyed this! it was tough but exhilarating and I was happy enough when the last one was over and we headed back on our cool down run. Once again my watch failed to pick up a signal so I just left it off. It probably just needs a full re-charge.

Saturday 14th MarchAIS pre run. Parkrun! same friend wanted to give this a go as she'd never done one before so I went along and was going to jog around. Then we me half the club when we got there :eek: There was no way I was going to race this though, I would describe it as reasonable effort but not full race pace. Finally got the garmin working again so I have splits from today but forgot to wear the HR monitor, pity, would have been perfect conditions. Didnt look at the watch once during the run though, wanted to just relax and I do think it helps sometimes to have it there but ignore it. Avg pace was 8.45. Again, I thoroughly enjoyed this and admittedly pushed a little more on the final km. Iced the foot and currently foam rolling calves while writing this :)

Plan to to a strength session this afternoon. Happy St Patrick's Weekend!

I haven't been doing the hill repeats off the plan so could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there was no set recovery time - just advice of take ample recovery until you were definitely ready.

I'm sure someone who's been doing them, maybe Adrian, BG or Anna, could correct me if I'm wrong?

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I haven't been doing the hill repeats off the plan so could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there was no set recovery time - just advice of take ample recovery until you were definitely ready.

I'm sure someone who's been doing them, maybe Adrian, BG or Anna, could correct me if I'm wrong?

yeah I think that's probably right and thats pretty much what we did, I noticed the recovery time lengthened a little after each one...

did you get a pass not to do these :-D I think you'd enjoy them too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, take enough recovery as you need. for the 60 second sprints I was taking 3-4 mins recovery.

The plan is based off this article:

http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-5k-puzzle?page=single
    We use our watches to time the first hill repeat of each week's session. Let's say our rep for that week is supposed to last 60 seconds. We stop running as soon as a minute is up. That's our finish line. We won't have to time the rest of our repetitions, allowing us to focus on correct effort and form. Recovery between reps is four to five minutes, including our jog back down the hill and some walking at the bottom. Less recovery won't give us a better workout, but it will increase our risk of injury and burnout. Remember that we're targeting a specific muscle fiber type that is recruited during a specific range of effort. Too little recovery forces us to recruit the other type of fast-twitch fiber and/or to burn through our muscle glycogen stores.

• Advertisement

yeah I think that's probably right and thats pretty much what we did, I noticed the recovery time lengthened a little after each one...

did you get a pass not to do these :-D I think you'd enjoy them too

Ha hardly! No, when I was getting into the plan proper I was in a spell of playing squash as well as my football. So with those plus the weekly session on the plan I said I'd leave off the hill repeats and keep the rest of the runs easy. I didn't want to add too much intensity to the week.

Now I'm well settled into the plan I kept meaning to include them but I just haven't yet to be honest. I've been including strides instead every week or two.

Thanks Adrian that's a great help, will study that article later.

Lots of sprinting in squash & football Laura so your prob way ahead on that score!!

Sunday 15th march

AM: 30 mins easy @10.14 3 miles

Tried out the new runners I bought on Saturday, they feel great, cushioning in the heal where I need it most. Spent ages trying different styles in the shop, Kevin has an abundance of patience!

Enjoyed the run although the legs were tired & feeling Fridays hill sprints & yesterdays parkrun.

PM: 40 mins strength.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What are the runners?

adrian522 wrote: »
    What are the runners?
    New balance 880v4, I usually just upgrade my saucany but these felt better to run in.
    How about you what did u go for?

I got a new pair of Saucony Breakthru. Pretty much the same as the Kinvara but with an 8mm drop. Not sure if I need the 8mm but I thought it might be safer given I sometimes get Achilles pain.

laura_ac3 wrote: »

For the hill sprints I've been doing with BG, each rep is 3 minutes, with all of about 10 secs of running, the rest standing (chatting) recovery. For the longer hill sprint I assume recovery should be at least that or slightly longer. It doesn't seem like much of a workout at the time but I feel really invigorated after it.

I got a new pair of Saucony Breakthru. Pretty much the same as the Kinvara but with an 8mm drop. Not sure if I need the 8mm but I thought it might be safer given I sometimes get Achilles pain.

Adrian, are you back on the shoes again?!?!! :)

I am indeed....

I loved my kinvaras but the drop is too much for me, theres' a great achilles stretch here http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/how-stretch-your-calf-muscles give it a try. Happy running in the new shoes!

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    For the hill sprints I've been doing with BG, each rep is 3 minutes, with all of about 10 secs of running, the rest standing (chatting) recovery. For the longer hill sprint I assume recovery should be at least that or slightly longer. It doesn't seem like much of a workout at the time but I feel really invigorated after it.

eek! we definitely weren't taking enough of a break so! we walked or jogged back as recovery, will defo make sure to do them better next time thanks Anna :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

This might explain the logic for the long recoveries. It's from Pete Magill's Solving the 5K puzzle schedule:

'Short hill repeats are 40-to 60-meter sprints up reasonably steep hills. Our effort level should be slightly less than an "all-out" sprint – but just slightly. Also, remember that this workout is designed to challenge our legs, not our lungs. Our legs should feel momentary fatigue as we recruit their full range of muscle fiber, but we should recover quickly. Don't make the mistake of turning this stride-efficiency workout into a fitness session. After each repetition, we walk back down the hill, wait until a full two to three minutes have passed, and then sprint up the hill again. Eight to 10 reps will do the trick'

This is what he says about longer hill reps:

'Recovery between reps is four to five minutes, including our jog back down the hill and some walking at the bottom. Less recovery won't give us a better workout, but it will increase our risk of injury and burnout. Remember that we're targeting a specific muscle fiber type that is recruited during a specific range of effort. Too little recovery forces us to recruit the other type of fast-twitch fiber and/or to burn through our muscle glycogen stores'

that's great BG thanks a mil :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

FFS Firedance I've only stumbled across your log this morning, apologies but it seems to be my remit. I thought I'd finally cracked boards and had successfully followed everyone.

Well done on following the plan and obviously on the new runners, very important around these parts.

I hope the foot is ok and fantastic work on the AIS and swimming.

Happy St Patrick's day.

You're missing some good shoe discussions aquinn!

I'm still waiting on trail runners photo Anna :p

aquinn wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on trail runners photo Anna :p

ha ha Anna did you actually buy those trail runners in the end? Actually I see you mentioned them on your log so yes :) I went down to have a look but decided they didn't match any of my running gear..... (for fear anyone thinks I"m being serious - I'm not :p )

are you following the graduates plan aquinn? we must meet up for another lunchtime run soon, I've been going out most Mondays at 1, lets see if we can get a day to suit in the next week or so. Looking forward to the Howth run too, have a recipe for the most divine chocolate cake ever that I might try out! nice & light on the inside with a perfectly chocolatey coating... too much I wonder??

I did invest in them... Saved myself money! I now have a little bit of muck on them so they're almost broken in.

ha ha Anna did you actually buy those trail runners in the end? Actually I see you mentioned them on your log so yes :) I went down to have a look but decided they didn't match any of my running gear..... (for fear anyone thinks I"m being serious - I'm not :p )

are you following the graduates plan aquinn? we must meet up for another lunchtime run soon, I've been going out most Mondays at 1, lets see if we can get a day to suit in the next week or so. Looking forward to the Howth run too, have a recipe for the most divine chocolate cake ever that I might try out! nice & light on the inside with a perfectly chocolatey coating... too much I wonder??

Eh no. I managed one week and going back to bootcamp I can't have a class on a Monday and attempt a session on a Tuesday, well not yet so I've fallen off that wagon yet again.

Definitely let me know for a lunchtime run. Tue/Thurs best as out with colleague Mon/Wed.

Cake sounds great!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 17th March Happy St Patrick's day! was out southside this morning so had no choice but to do todays session after scoffing a very nice Teddys 99 :-) AIS pre run.
    Session was 5*3 mins @5k pace off 3 min recoveries. I set up the watch correctly for this today so was much better able to see my pace on the 5K sections, that doesn't mean I did the session well though!! went off waaay too fast in the first one and most likely in the first min of each of the others, I am so bad at pacing its unreal and its something I really have to get a better handle on, as you can see I suffered badly on the last rep and was glad to be finished. Anyway, here are the stats.

warm up 1.28 miles @10.06 avg HR 142

lap avg pace avg hr distance
    1 8:05 156 .37
    2 11:30 143 . 26
    3. 8.13 162 .34
    4 11.38 141 .27
    5 8.25 155 .35
    6 12.04 143 .26
    7 8.22 162 .35
    8 12.27 138 .25
    9 8.40 163 .32

cool down 1.18 miles @10.52 pace avg hr 142. Despite botching the paces I did enjoy this session overall, it was tough but good. Iced the foot when I got home and about to tackle the foam roller now.

Advertisement