Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

The dark side just got a lot brighter :D (for me)

You just have to move forums now and your transformation will be complete ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'm just packing up the last of my things, will be over shortly - stick the kettle on for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Ya's aren't getting another one that easy. We put up a fight for the remaining good ones as you guys got enough in the divorce :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Race Licence

Ya wha?

Ya's aren't getting another one that easy. We put up a fight for the remaining good ones as you guys got enough in the divorce :p

Haha :D

Now, now there's no need to be bitter. It really doesn't suit you :p

Aw shucks :D isn't it about time there was a reconciliation! It'd certainly make things much easier!! Maybe I'll start a campaign.
    Ya wha?

I know, it's a bit mad ted, you have to have a licence to take part in any Triathlon (and many duathlons too). I've no idea why, something to do with covering you for insurance, you have to join TI before you can join a club too but I guess that's the same as being a member of Athletics Ireland when you're in a running club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Haha :D

Now, now there's no need to be bitter. It really doesn't suit you :p

You should come back Madame Dora, I miss you :)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Aw shucks :D isn't it about time there was a reconciliation! It'd certainly make things much easier!! Maybe I'll start a campaign.

I know, it's a bit mad ted, you have to have a licence to take part in any Triathlon (and many duathlons too). I've no idea why, something to do with covering you for insurance, you have to join TI before you can join a club too but I guess that's the same as being a member of Athletics Ireland when you're in a running club.

The best of luck with the plans , will you have to wear a big red N in your first race?

TbL

Awww you old sweet talker you :D:D:D

Flattery will get you everywhere!!!!

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try...

Thursday 20th July Open Water Swim - a whopping 304 yards

Went out to Skerries to try my first OW swim with the club. I was more than a little nervous, the last time I was in the water in Skerries was last year sometime with the scuba club and all I remember from that was feeling seasick! Also, believe it or not I'm painfully shy and hate meeting new people in large groups. Luckily I already knew one of the girls. Anyway, rocked up at 8.30 (who am I kidding I was there at 7:45) got into the wetsuit and made my way down to the water with everyone else. It was fairly rough looking with big black clouds over Balbriggan, thankfully they stayed there. Got into the water with not much fuss and followed the others out, one guy was leading the group, everyone else followed. Out was fine, back was no so fine, battling against the current the wetsuit felt like it was choking me. Made it back in. More instructions from the coach and off we went again, out and back, same struggle. Couldn't get the breathing thing down at all, felt really uncomfortable putting my head in the (very choppy) water so I swam head up. Did one more out and back and then decided enough was enough. By the time I got back to the car I was quitting, then I had a little chat with myself.

So, I need a lot, lot lot more practice in the pool before I attempt that again, and, I need a better wetsuit. One of the girls said mine is for surfing :o #morto. But, having chatted to the coach while the others were doing a million more out & backs he said that some of the guys weren't brilliant swimmers when he took over last October so there's hope, right? I need to stop having unrealistic expectations of myself, and I need to look into a proper wetsuit!!

• Advertisement

I think you're doing really well. Don't get discouraged. Sea swimming is not for the faint hearted and it's so difficult to manage your breathing when it's choppy. You got 3 out and backs done tonight. Next time aim for 4. Baby steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I'm in awe of you for just trying! Most wouldn't, including me. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

My wetsuit is for a 16 year old boy so don't bother being mortified you're only new to this.

Sea swimming is tough with the current and you're only getting used to the pool and you are making great progress.

No one starts off perfect, how boring would that be.

Don't leave it too long before going in again as next week it could be calm and much easier. Go easy on yourself.

My friend is a sea swimmer and she suffers from sea sickness at times like car sickness so she uses those wrist bands that people wear on the ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Every accomplishment starts with a decision to try...

Thursday 20th July Open Water Swim - a whopping 304 yards

Also, believe it or not I'm painfully shy and hate meeting new people in large groups.

Isn't this why we get into running in the first place? Nice and safe and solitary. The whole experience sounds quite daunting. Fair play to you for getting out there and giving it a bash. No doubt you'll make great progress in time. It sounds like you've approached it sensibly, with getting lessons and now joining a club. Best of luck!

I think you're doing really well. Don't get discouraged. Sea swimming is not for the faint hearted and it's so difficult to manage your breathing when it's choppy. You got 3 out and backs done tonight. Next time aim for 4. Baby steps.

Thanks K, baby steps indeed, will try again! A clubmate suggested a lake (Lough Lene) which is not to far from me, I might go up at the weekend and check it out.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    I'm in awe of you for just trying! Most wouldn't, including me. Fair play to you.

Thanks C, appreciate that :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    My wetsuit is for a 16 year old boy so don't bother being mortified you're only new to this.

Sea swimming is tough with the current and you're only getting used to the pool and you are making great progress.

No one starts off perfect, how boring would that be.

Don't leave it too long before going in again as next week it could be calm and much easier. Go easy on yourself.

My friend is a sea swimmer and she suffers from sea sickness at times like car sickness so she uses those wrist bands that people wear on the ferries.

Ooh interesting on the bracelets, worth a shot for sure, one of the other girls last night was saying she was dizzy for a while too. I'd imagine most of it is getting used to it and there's only one way to do that! Although I wouldn't mind starting off perfectly :P.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Isn't this why we get into running in the first place? Nice and safe and solitary. The whole experience sounds quite daunting. Fair play to you for getting out there and giving it a bash. No doubt you'll make great progress in time. It sounds like you've approached it sensibly, with getting lessons and now joining a club. Best of luck!

Sob! I miss my lovely solitary running! You're right, it is, but it doesn't stay that way for long, some of the very best people I've met have been through running and some I'm lucky enough to call my friends. The group were very nice, it's just daunting being the new girl, the new rubbish girl at that :D Hopefully that will all change in the coming months. I've joined the club up to the end of the year so that's not much of a commitment to stick with really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Have to say I really admire your ability to turn your hand to anything and your willingness to try.

A lot of people would have long given up on an active live. You are fantastic in your approach to trying to find something that your health will allow you to do.

I'm terrified just reading about the open water swimming and I'm in the safety of the indoors. Fair play to you girl!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff for giving it a go there AGYR/AGRS...tbh we'd be very comparable on the swimming front there. I had a stiff neck after my last attempt at swimming last week as the water was so choppy I couldn't put my head down for long....but it was better than the first time I went out and I'll be out again next week and it will be better then too.
    At the moment I am going swimming on my own as a bit embarrassed to go swimming with friends and that until I can hold my own for a bit longer, it's literally like being a child again as I have long since many years forgotten how to swim proper.

Younganne wrote: »
    Have to say I really admire your ability to turn your hand to anything and your willingness to try.

A lot of people would have long given up on an active live. You are fantastic in your approach to trying to find something that your health will allow you to do.

I'm terrified just reading about the open water swimming and I'm in the safety of the indoors. Fair play to you girl!!

Ah thanks Anne, that means alot, especially coming from someone who ran a 50K and is hopefully going to be pacing DCM!! The admiration is mutual :)
    diego_b wrote: »
    Good stuff for giving it a go there AGYR/AGRS...tbh we'd be very comparable on the swimming front there. I had a stiff neck after my last attempt at swimming last week as the water was so choppy I couldn't put my head down for long....but it was better than the first time I went out and I'll be out again next week and it will be better then too.
    At the moment I am going swimming on my own as a bit embarrassed to go swimming with friends and that until I can hold my own for a bit longer, it's literally like being a child again as I have long since many years forgotten how to swim proper.

What's AGRS? Or do I want to know :D. I can understand that too D but equally you can learn really quickly from others, don't leave it too long before joining a group - how are you getting on with your wetsuit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Crikey I messed up...AGYS (Swim)!
    Yup will go meet a few others as for sure like with running the tips and pointers make it easier. Wetsuit is all good I have to say, managed to actually close it all by myself on my own last time....needed assistance from my wife first time around!
    Def can see the value in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done AM on your jumping off point with the sea swimming, and I'm not saying it will be same for you, but was talking to someone recently that does sea swim events and can cover couple Miles easily in pool but said she needs to get out to the sea more, as she struggles with 500m in sea, so maybe getting out to sea swim maybe if more benifit, but you are the tri fairy after all so fell free to ignore :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done AM on your jumping off point with the sea swimming, and I'm not saying it will be same for you, but was talking to someone recently that does sea swim events and can cover couple Miles easily in pool but said she needs to get out to the sea more, as she struggles with 500m in sea, so maybe getting out to sea swim maybe if more benifit, but you are the tri fairy after all so fell free to ignore :P

I'd kind of agree as I can do a good bit in the pool, but think I would struggle to swim 100m freestyle in the sea (have always resorted to breaststroke when I'm on holidays). It's a very different environment and AGyR you might have an advantage over stronger pool swimmers if you were getting some sea practice ;)

More fun too! And a good time of year for doing it (for example, today, you wouldn't even notice whether you were in or out of the water ...)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! am not :D am just keeping busy while I'm on the road to recovery, it's temporary okay?!
    I'd kind of agree as I can do a good bit in the pool, but think I would struggle to swim 100m freestyle in the sea (have always resorted to breaststroke when I'm on holidays). It's a very different environment and AGyR you might have an advantage over stronger pool swimmers if you were getting some sea practice ;)

More fun too! And a good time of year for doing it (for example, today, you wouldn't even notice whether you were in or out of the water ...)

Yes I think you're both right, those are good points, there isn't much point doing lengths in a pool to train for a race that's in open water. Thankfully the first race I'm hoping to do is in a lake and while I didn't make it this weekend I'll make it my business to do some lake practice next weekend.

17th - 23rd July

Bike: Only 70 miles this week, wasn't well midweek so off sick and working form home, so sensible!

Yoga: 2 x 10 mins
    Signed up for a 14 day online yoga challenge which starts off at 10 mins on day one, 12 mins day too etc etc. Figured it's the perfect way to get me into the habit of doing a bit each day without putting any big drain on time or energy. Everything hurts though, all my muscles are tight from lack of stretching, foam rolling, yoga etc.

Swims x 2
    Open water as above
    Sunday pool swim, 44 lengths broken down into 21 x FC = 525m, 21 x FC = 525m 2 X BS = 50M
    Really really happy with this, managed 21 lengths in one go with only very brief halts when the other person in the lane got in my way. Stopped for a rest then, possibly about a minute (Garmin doesn't seem to record the pause of the watch), then went again, another 21 laps practising my push offs from the wall. Probably not the most graceful push offs anyone's ever seen but I'm getting there. Finished off with 2 lengths breast stroke. Didn't do any drills, back stroke or anything. The purpose of this practice was to give myself a bit of confidence ahead of the first club pool session next Thursday. Watch said two new PR's, fastest 400m and fastest 100m :pac:

Runs x 3
    Thursday 3 miles @ 10:53 avg hr 124. Was working from home today so no cycle so decided to head out after work for a little jog. Was actually feeling great as I went along though and considered extending this to 4 miles but on the last mile towards home thunder and lightning made a dramatic appearance. I used to be terrified of lightening but it looked amazing in the sky overhead. It had started to rain lightly which was so refreshing! Then as I neared the house the heavens opened and monsoon showers joined the T&L to make for a very dramatic run! Headed towards home to get back to the dog who wasn't as scared as I'd feared. Fantastic run in every way.
    Saturday 3. 1 miles at 9:06 avg hr 148. Cycled over to Porterstown parkrun via the back roads on a beautiful sunny morning to see how the professionals do things as Wubble Wubble was doing his 2nd RD stint. I have never run in this park so had no idea what to expect. It's a 3 lap course and the park is quite open but there's some great downhill bits in it and an interesting XC section :p. I tucked in behind a group of chatty girls on the first lap and there were two guys behind me chatting (about the new Lidl that got the go ahead in Castleknock Village :pac:) so I had plenty to distract me although I wasn't pushing at all. Lap two saw some of the girls fall away and others push on, my watch told me I"d run the second lap faster so when one of the lads made a move, encouraged by his mate, on lap 3 I went with him and passed the rest of the girls. He belted off however so I was left solo for lap 3 but pushed the effort levels right up as was feeling pretty good. Came around the XC section knowing the finish was not far and just went for it, good strong sprint finish cheered on by the local crew. Lots of banter in the scanning Q about the Lidl conversation followed up with a cuppa & bun with a clubmate who'd also run. They made us wait for the results though, normally I don't care but was thinking how I was going to re-schedule my planned 50th run (12th August all going well if anyone's around :D) if there were no results :eek: THE STRESS :D Well done to Wubble Wubble & crew on another friendly, well organised parkrun. Back home on the bike then.
    Sunday 5.3 miles @ 11:14 avg hr 129. Headed over to St. Anne's this morning to help Killerz & crew at junior parkrun as there were multiple facebook callouts for volunteers. I know what it's like to be in need and knew I'd catch up with the D3, D5, & D9 crew while there and then get a run in different surroundings. All went smoothly, headed for coffee and great to catch up with everyone. Laura_ac and aquinn were also going running but I let them off as I knew they'd be just a tad too fast for me. Headed off around the park just ambling along, getting lost :D and enjoying some of the more remote trails that I'm not sure are meant for use! Needed a pitstop about 3.5 miles in so back to the cafe where I met the girls again, aquinn was ditching Laura so quick stop and then I joined her for the last bit of our run. An enjoyable chat and the company made the last mile go faster.

Delighted to read all the Fingal 10k pbs today!

TbL

You know you can find her over here C.

Have just realised I forgot to move :D I like this comfy old couch though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Where you doing your 50th park run ???

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Where you doing your 50th park run ???

I considered doing a Killerz on it and slinking off somewhere random, then I thought I might do it in St. Annes util I saw what you do to people over there :D:D.

Cabinteely probably.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Didn't realise how long it was since I ventured into your log AM. Get out of the dark side now while you still can :p

Didn't realise how long it was since I ventured into your log AM. Get out of the dark side now while you still can :p

Sayz yer wan training for IM part deux :D, just looking at your strava feed exhausts me :p:p.

Sayz yer wan training for IM part deux :D, just looking at your strava feed exhausts me :p:p.

Ha, ditto.

aquinn wrote: »
    Ha, ditto.

Hang on, you don't follow RQ on strava.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

EXACTLY. Let that be a warning to ya!
    I keep trying to get out...but they keep pulling me back in.

24th - 30th July

Bike 96.5 miles, best week on the bike in a while, a couple of horrible windy & wet days but equally some lovely summery commutes.

Yoga: erm, think I managed two of the online sessions, I got an email from them about half way through the week asking 'are you still with us' :D #mustdobetter. Will try to be better at this next week....

Swim: zero, zilch, nada Between one thing and another, some of which involved being under the weather, I never made the pool this week, or the lake this weekend. Oh well, you can't win em all! I did spend Saturday lunchtime trying on several wet suits though which in itself is a major workout :D Haven't taken the plunge to purchase one though - something is holding me back. I really don't know if Tri events are the way forward for me

Runs: 3 totalling 11.2 miles
    Thursday 27th July 5 miles @ 10:25 avg hr 136. Met up with younganne in the Phoenix Park for a few miles. Didn't realise the midweek parking was so mental so ended up parking 1/2 mile from where we were meeting, luckily I was early so it didn't matter. Straight down to the business of catching up :D really enjoyed this run and never felt the miles go by at all.
    Saturday 31st 3.1 miles @ 9:37 avg hr 145. Had considered cycling to Castletown parkrun but was feeling a little tired and fancied some good post run chit chat and company so drove to Cabo instead. Started out with one of the other RD's chatting away, it was very warm though and the first hill hurt. Told him to go ahead as I really did just want to take it easy and was then joined by marthastew who was also just jogging around - although her jogging is a bit different to mine :p. Really felt the hills today, haven't run Cabo in a while and it doesn't get easier! Thoroughly enjoyed this though and had a lovely catch up and coffee afterwards.
    Sunday 30th 3 miles @ 11:24 avg HR 121. Was definitely taking this one nice & easy after too 'steady' runs already this week and a smidge tired after a lovely night out the night before which included wine & beer. Have broken my 'no booze' pact only a few times in the last few months which I think is allowed. There wasn't much 'easy' about this run though, found it a struggle even with the low heart rate and was happy to finish after 3 miles instead of dragging it out to 4. With the current strava theme of 'running parks', I took in our one and only local park on this run. It seems some folks on DNS are blessed with the sheer quantity of local parks. I could barley take in 3 if I cycled to each of them!!

Am still feeling tired, although not as bad so hopefully that's a sign things are moving back to normal range. Had a lovely enjoyable relaxing weekend though, a few more of those will help too.

31st July - 6th August

Bike x 4 days
    53 miles Rubbish week on the bike. Weather was muck, wind was muck, was not feeling the love at all this week so lots of shorter commutes. Briefly considered doing a weekend spin but decided against it. Hopefully 4 days break will do the trick.

Swim x 2
    Thursday 3rd. 1,500m, 60 lengths(!). First session with the tri club. I was very nervous about this, not knowing what the standard was and having zero experience swimming in a group in the pool. Talked myself out of going a few times but made myself go in the end, it's good to push yourself out of your comfort zone now and then. Everyone seems very nice out of the pool, in the pool is a whole other story :pac: I'm (partly) kidding. The best thing I can say about this is that i didn't drown!!! There were 6 of us in the slow lane and you can guess who was paddy last for the first half an hour, I struggled to keep up, I struggled to follow what we were supposed to be doing, I struggled with the lane rules and etiquette and halfway through I was getting out and going home. Thoughts were 'life's to short to endure something this unpleasant' 'you're rubbish as usual you don't belong here'. But one of the other girls in the lane who'd been chatting to me about the standard of the club etc encouraged me to stay and the session changed from what I can only describe as organised chaos to organised order. One person lead out the group and we swam in line down the lane and back up again. The others were doing 200's but coach directed me and another girl to do 50's which helped me relax and finally I got into my groove. I took the lead from the other girl a few times then as I'm faster than her when I'm not panicking :p.
    Had a chat with the coach after the session to see whether he felt I didn't belong but he said that the sessions are adapted to to individuals needs and not to worry about that. The girls were very encouraging in the changing room afterwards too so I guess I'll be back - having said that I'm not sure the whole Tri thing is for me, I think I prefer adventure racing but I guess that remains to be seen until I've done an actual race!
    Saturday 5th Aug 650m / 26 lengths. Headed to the pool with my new pullboy and a print out of Kurt Godel's week 1 workout. The session was:
    200 easy, 50x kick board, 50 x pullboy, 50 x armpit touch, 50 x pullboy, 50 x fc, 200 easy. (the watch didn't record the 2 lengths using the kickboard) I'll be honest, I don't know what I'm doing with the props or the reason for using them so I need to do a bit more research into that. Found the PB and KB difficult. Should really have done 2 x 50 on each of the above but I'd just run 7 miles and am planning to swim on Monday so will cut myself some slack 😃

Runs x 3
    Friday 4th Aug: local loop 3.3 miles @ 11:14 avg HR 120, was working from home so headed out at lunchtime for this.
    Saturday 5th Aug: 7 miles (!) @ 10:15 avg hr 132. Longest run in a very long time (since last December in fact). Loving this 'run the parks' theme as it is certainly making me think about other options for runs. Took in 3 parks including Hartstown parkrun. Was delighted to get up to this distance, it was tough on the legs, they didn't know what hit them! Headed to the pool immediately afterwards.
    Sunday PM: 4 miles @ 10:51 avg hr 131. Had a busy day today and considered resting but was then following The Beast updates and was itching for a run. Went out and did a local loop in the evening, stuck the earphones in and really enjoyed this run, the rain had stopped but it was quiet enough in the village. Quads are a bit sore, must dig out the foam roller now.

Took the dog over to Sandymount earlier on to do a recce of the new Poolbeg parkrun course. Walked most of it (2.6 miles) Am very excited by this one, it's going to be tough as there's a sharp hill and also very exposed to the elements but stunningly beautiful. From the path you can see Bray Head, Dun Laoghaire, the Sugar loaf's, 3 Rock and the Dublin Mountains not to mention the sea/sky combo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

good week, well done getting your self down to the club, definitely takes bit of time to find your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

What's this "Poolbeg parkrun" you speak of? Another bit of tourism will be on the card, me thinks! :)

(good job on 7M followed by 4M!)

good week, well done getting your self down to the club, definitely takes bit of time to find your feet.

Don't you mean my flippers :D
    nop98 wrote: »
    What's this "Poolbeg parkrun" you speak of? Another bit of tourism will be on the card, me thinks! :)

(good job on 7M followed by 4M!)

Oooh you're gonna like this one! It's here, it's beautiful. Starts on 26th August.

By the way, if you're not doing parkrun tourism, there's a milestone run happening in Cabinteely this Saturday, there might even be cake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Absolutely up for Poolbeg Parkrun but the inaugural race is on same day as Frank Duffy :(.

Must pop over and take a look at that course. And it is another Park.

Thanks for all the online support over the weekend :D Well done with the swimming. You're making good progress and KG sessions will help you a lot if you can stick with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Oooh you're gonna like this one! It's here, it's beautiful. Starts on 26th August.

By the way, if you're not doing parkrun tourism, there's a milestone run happening in Cabinteely this Saturday, there might even be cake :D

No Cabinteely this Saturday, on account of non-parkrun tourism :) But I will float the idea of the Poolbeg parkrun with the young master. Enjoy!

nop98 wrote: »
    No Cabinteely this Saturday, on account of non-parkrun tourism :) But I will float the idea of the Poolbeg parkrun with the young master. Enjoy!

What is this 'non parkrun' tourism you speak of?!!! Enjoy your holidays :D I won't make the inaugural Poolbeg run as I'll be away (but I choose somewhere that has a parkrun) :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Monday 7th August.

Swim:
    Headed to the pool after a 5 mile run with the second KG session in my bag. This was not easy!.. Session said:
    200m easy, 4 x 50m kb, 3x100 off 2:40, 3x100 off 2:30, 3x100 off 2:20, 3 x 100 off 2:10, 200 easy (1 min rest between sets) I either read this wrong or Kurt is MEAN! That's a huge jump from the previous session.
    Did the 200 easy in 6:39, then did 2 x 50 with KB in 2:24, there was one other person in the lane with me and KB slows you down so it wasn't working out, ideally you need a lane to yourself to do these properly. Jumped to the first set of 3*100's then.
    3x100 in 2:29 (too fast) and was at the pin of my collar for this - not sustainable and certainly no chance I could go faster.
    3x100 in 2:35, did this 'steady' so I could actually manage to complete all sets
    3x100 in 2:39, slower again but mainly due to interruption of a 3rd person in the lane now - sake, could he not see I was doing a session!!!
    3x100 in 2:49, last guy got out but another guy got in and he really fecked things up!
    3x100 in 2:45
    Took 1 mins rest between the sets. The first set I did I was quickly loosing form so I deliberately eased off in subsequent sets as well as having to deal with others in the lane.
    Was chatting to Career Move afterwards about these and she advised that rather than focus on specific times I should focus on effort, so start off easy, steady, tempo and speed - same as running. Next time I'll be better prepared. I see I also did one too many, there were only 4...:rolleyes:
    Did the last 200 easy in 8:06 but did have to stop briefly, twice, to fix my googles which were letting in water.

Run:
    Monday 7th, 5 miles @ 10:54 avg hr 131. Headed from the pool car park (before my swim) into a nearby park, did an in and out then headed for the canal and ran it up as far as Ashtown Gate and on into the trails in the PP and back towards the pool, one more loop of the local park so I could make the mileage and even 5. Felt great on this run, amazingly, the more I run the more my run fitness is returning. Imagine that! I will keep the runs to 3 per week though, no more than that but am overjoyed to be able to do that many more regularly.

I find myself with a small dilemma. Facebook as advised me that the weekend before the Lough Key Triathlon, there's an adventure race in Trim. Have been speaking separately to two boards adventure racing legends and both suggested I do the AR and to hec with the triathlon :D It didn't take much to convince me and means I don't have to spend a small fortune on wetsuit or get up at the craic of dawn to drive to Leitrim. So new goal is the Boyne Adventure Race on 27th August :pac: It looks fairly harmless on paper. A 4.5km run, 1km kayak, 21km cycle then it says 'Stage 4 is the 'Fatal Deviation' quarry scramble' okay, will just gloss over that bit :D and then a final 3km cycle back to Trim. Am excited about this now that I've decided to do it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Hope you did the 350m of the kick board first? ;) *yeeuck*

That's a huge session you just did; I was at the pool this evening and got 1500m in (untimed I might add) and I was feeling delighted with myself.

+1 to the AR over the triathlon :), a wise choice.

Hope you did the 350m of the kick board first? ;) *yeeuck*

That's a huge session you just did; I was at the pool this evening and got 1500m in (untimed I might add) and I was feeling delighted with myself.

+1 to the AR over the triathlon :), a wise choice.

And so you should be, 1500m is brilliant, timed or not. Nope, only did 2 x 50 with the kickboard instead of 4 x 50 - not fun but I probably should have done the 4 and dropped a 100 instead as the drills are there for a reason.... sigh.

Ha ha, it's unanimous so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

You're going well lately I must say... Looks like you're enjoying the variety :)
    I find myself with a small dilemma.......

Well that dilemma lasted all of about 5 seconds :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done on getting to the club AM sounds like you enjoyed it.

martyboy48 wrote: »
    You're going well lately I must say... Looks like you're enjoying the variety :)

Well that dilemma lasted all of about 5 seconds :D:D

:D:D I guess it wasn't really much of a dilemma. On the going well, I think something's gonna have to give and it'll probably be the bike, if I can figure out the best way to do that without having to get the train to work!!!
    Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done on getting to the club AM sounds like you enjoyed it.

Does it?! I don't remember any joy :D in fact, the next session is tomorrow and am already trying to think of reasons why I shouldn't go.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I'm slowly catching up on the goings on in everyones log.

You've really taken to the swimming :) you really don't do things by halves do you ;) Love it.

I'm very glad you've decided on the adventure race ...... eh .... quarry scramble, I guess that's some kind of vertical madness n your hands and knees is it?

p.s. is there any way that I could tempt you to do Run the Line again?

Neady83 wrote: »
    I'm slowly catching up on the goings on in everyones log.

You've really taken to the swimming :) you really don't do things by halves do you ;) Love it.

I'm very glad you've decided on the adventure race ...... eh .... quarry scramble, I guess that's some kind of vertical madness n your hands and knees is it?

p.s. is there any way that I could tempt you to do Run the Line again?

Good to have you back!

Oh definitely, I must register :D nop and denisb are doing it too but you three will do the long course, I'll see you all after for the food :pac:

I might try and do a recee of the quarry at the weekend, and the bike route, especially as one of the locals has offered to help with that.

No, I don't do things by halves, it's a million or nothing :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

denis b wrote: »
    Absolutely up for Poolbeg Parkrun but the inaugural race is on same day as Frank Duffy :(.

Must pop over and take a look at that course. And it is another Park.

Possibly even 2?

...and well done AM on all that swimming... had no clue what KB and KG are, but think I figured out from Hilly's comment that KB is kickboard.... :p

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Possibly even 2?

...and well done AM on all that swimming... had no clue what KB and KG are, but think I figured out from Hilly's comment that KB is kickboard.... :p

My KG but unlikely to be connected, him from the dark side more likely.

https://www.kurtgeiger.ie/

Advertisement