Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a car - San Francisco

Options
  • 04-02-2015 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Going to the west coast next week, renting a car in SF, driving to LA & then to LV & back to SF.

What car recommendations are there ?

In terms of comfort, there'll be two of us with two bags, so I'm thinking of a standard size car as it will have more comfort for 2000 miles. or should I book an economy.

Any suggestions about who to rent from ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dratw

Book a ford focus sized car and chance your arm for an upgrade. We hired a yaris and got offered a convertible Chevvy Camaro at LV but couldn't take it as we were under 25...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

What roads are you taking? Are you planning on Yosemite type mountain roads or purely freeway/coast road?

Personally, a standard car would suffice - anything 2.0 or above should do it. The freeway (I-5) from LA to SF has a fairly tough going pass ( the Tejon) which i would only be comfortable doing in 2.0L car or above. Also, before you set out look at the weather. There is a fog at this time of year called the Tule fog which makes driving horrific and sometimes worth taking 101.

The coast road is a lot of fun and a mid size sedan will be fine on that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Book a standard car, and when you get there, wait to see what they have before asking for an upgrade. I've had a few occasions where I reserved a cheap car and then gotten a free upgrade because they were out of standard cars when I got there.

Upgrades can be cheap. We got a $5/day upgrade from the cheap car to a Lincoln MKZ last time we rented. The MKZ was a nice car.

For that part of the country, I would really try for a convertible. A Camaro or Mustang would be great, a Chrysler 200 would be ok. Some companies rent Minis and VW Eos convertibles too.

Book a standard car, and when you get there, wait to see what they have before asking for an upgrade. I've had a few occasions where I reserved a cheap car and then gotten a free upgrade because they were out of standard cars when I got there.

Upgrades can be cheap. We got a $5/day upgrade from the cheap car to a Lincoln MKZ last time we rented. The MKZ was a nice car.

For that part of the country, I would really try for a convertible. A Camaro or Mustang would be great, a Chrysler 200 would be ok. Some companies rent Minis and VW Eos convertibles too.

Weather can be unpredictable a best, we are due some rain all along the coast from sf bay to L A next week, and the fog and cold can be intense on the 1 and in the desert. Convertibles are great in theory but at this time of year...not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, where are you staying in SF and do you have to pay for parking? Most hotels in the down town area charge a lot for parking and the public car parks can be pretty pricey. The streets are so hilly that parking in them can be very challenging, if you aren't used to parking on steep hills. Public transport there is pretty good compared to most US cities. So all in all, don't get a car for your time in SF unless you are sure you will really need it. Having one can sometimes be more trouble (and expense) than it is worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Weather can be unpredictable a best, we are due some rain all along the coast from sf bay to L A next week, and the fog and cold can be intense on the 1 and in the desert. Convertibles are great in theory but at this time of year...not so much.

Well, for fog and rain, just keep the top up. As for cold, I used to drive my car in temps down to 20F with the top down and the heat cranked up. I like open air motoring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭OU812

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, where are you staying in SF and do you have to pay for parking? Most hotels in the down town area charge a lot for parking and the public car parks can be pretty pricey. The streets are so hilly that parking in them can be very challenging, if you aren't used to parking on steep hills. Public transport there is pretty good compared to most US cities. So all in all, don't get a car for your time in SF unless you are sure you will really need it. Having one can sometimes be more trouble (and expense) than it is worth.

Haven't booked anywhere yet as waiting to hear if a meeting is going to be at the start or the end of the trip. Need one night at the start & two at the end. Will most probably book somewhere near the hotel.

OU812 wrote: »
    Haven't booked anywhere yet as waiting to hear if a meeting is going to be at the start or the end of the trip. Need one night at the start & two at the end. Will most probably book somewhere near the hotel.

The best thing you could do is book the car from San Francisco airport when you need it via hertz etc. Parking in the city is a nightmare - most hotels are valet only so you are looking at $35 -$70 a day parking. Downtown is mostly off limits for street parking....not because you can't but because car theft/windows being smashed is really common.

If you rent from San Francisco Airport, you can get the BART down to pick up for about $10 and you are right out on the freeway from there.

The city itself is really walkable, i never use my car when I am going downtown or anyway within 49 square miles -way too much hassle. The muni system is creaking a bit but works well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hired a Focus for 2 weeks for $450 including all the cover from AVIS at the airport. That was via a British Airways booking fwiw. A Focus would be fine for 2 people.

Be aware that some high mountain roads will probably be shut eg. Tioga Pass into Yosemite NP from the Death Valley/east side is pretty much guaranteed to be shut.

Consider doing the PCH/route 1 over at least 2 days, it's spectacular. Not sure what the weather is like for it at this time of year. iusedtoknow would know more about that.

+1 on the parking availability nightmare.

Also think about getting a SatNav. I found them indispensable though some of the ones from the hire companies have got mixed reviews. (I borrowed mine from a local)

Lastly, if you are under 25 and don't have a credit card as opposed to a debit card, there might be some hurdles for you. These topics are well covered in recent threads here or on the Travel forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Isn't it cheaper to rent from a downtown location rather than the airport?

I always thought there were extra taxes on airport rentals, right?

• Advertisement

Ended up ordering a ford focus size through Argus (Alamo rental) - €210 for the ten days with unlimited milage & additional driver free. Will see what they have when we get there & maybe upgrade.

Do I need to get the extra insurance ?

Do I need to get the extra insurance ?

Possibly, do you know how much is included?

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Possibly, do you know how much is included?

The extra is an additional €5.99 per day & includes:
    Windows (€800)
    Tyres (€100/ tyre)
    Undercarriage (€500)
    Roof (€600)
    Rental car key cover (€550)
    Personal possessions (€300)
    Misfueling (€300)

Already included is:

Collision damage waiver (CDW)
    Theft waiver (TW)
    Third party liability protection (TP)
    Collision damage waiver (CDW) No Excess

tricky D wrote: »
    Consider doing the PCH/route 1 over at least 2 days, it's spectacular.

Yes. Highway One. Dont even dream of taking 101 or 5.

If you have to drive back to SF then you can take the 5 one way but you cant miss taking hwy 1 at least once.

The extra is an additional €5.99 per day & includes:
    Windows (€800)
    Tyres (€100/ tyre)
    Undercarriage (€500)
    Roof (€600)
    Rental car key cover (€550)
    Personal possessions (€300)
    Misfueling (€300)

Already included is:

Collision damage waiver (CDW)
    Theft waiver (TW)
    Third party liability protection (TP)
    Collision damage waiver (CDW) No Excess

Hmmm.

Tbh I have no idea. It seems good.

I think i'd wait to talk to the Alamo agent at the rental desk when I arrived though.

Ended up ordering a ford focus size

I dont know how into cars you are but I'd recommend asking not to have a hyundai. Or any focus sized chrysler or chevy. I think there's something called a chevy aveo which should be avoided at all costs.

Rental agents are usually very accommodating if you ask about specific makes.

I would go Ford or Japanese (nissan, toyota are common rentals) when getting "focus" size. Also consider upgrading even if you dont get a deal on it because you're going a long way and a little larger will be more comfy. You're going to be spending a lot of time in the car.

Got back this week. Did a total of 1900 miles done mostly over three days. They (Alamo) wouldn't allow us to take the standard car we had booked when we told them the route, but upgraded us to a luxury car for €110 for the duration. Didn't mind so much because it was an incredible drive & would have been much less comfortable in a standard. All in, the car cost €320 for the 10 days for a C-300. Fully loaded, GPS included.

Advertisement