Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Ireland living in Spain

Options
  • 04-02-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

My Uncle has been living in Span for the last 16 years and has used his Sky UK Dish and box with subscription for all that time. He has cancelled that subscription and has now got an Irish Sky box and subscription.
    He brought that with him to Spain late last year and it worked fine. No BBC or RTE though.
    Now the last time he went out it did not work.
    Any suggestions how to fix it as he will be going back full time after recovering from an illness here in Ireland.

Does it need a new satellite or be changed in direction? I heard something about BBC changing satellite last year or something

Any advice is welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

BBC's are gone, see link below. He might need to have activated the Irish box here in order to get RTÉ's, I'm not really sure.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g187435-i317-k7180609-TV_Satellite_Switch_Over_BBC_channels_gone-Costa_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭serious

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how to activate the box? The box is in Ireland right now and is going to Spain on Saturday for good

• Registered Users Posts: 82,586 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

See if the Irish channels work here, if they do they should work in Spain. As far as I know the RTE access was not changed with the move they did on the satellite footprint last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

To the best of my knowledge, RTE is on the UK beam of Astra 2E, & that's where most of the BBC channels are too. (Think the BBC have 1 tp on 2F UK beam as well.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

I think he may be out of luck :-( http://skyinmadrid.com/pages/reports.html seem to be very on top of the situation in Spain. Internet/VPN may be the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

OP you are getting a lot of misinformation here.

Channels are no way gone! They only changed Satellites/transponders in space meaning you have to retune certain boxes but a sky box retuned itself automatically.

What size dish has your uncle got and what part of Spain as thee are variations in reception as Spain is a large country?

I have a 1.4m dish down on the Costa Blanca (southern Spain) and that gets me more or less everything.

There is no such thing as activating a box.

A sky card is activited by sky at the fery start of its life and if that has to be done from Spsin he will have to hide his number or call from Skype when calling sky and pretend he is in Ireland or they will switch him off as using it in Spain is not under the terms of a Sky contract.

Whether or not the sky card is activities he should be able to view all the Free to air channels such as sky news, BBC's, ITV's, Channel 4 etc.

I get RTE 1 and Newstalk radio on the box also free without need of sky subscription.

Simplest starting solution is to check cables are all connected and then power it up and leaving it for a few minutes to let the box boot up and then go to Sky News and see.

There is a fantastic website for help and the guy is in Spain and I can't recommend him highly enough and her is link:

http://www.satandpcguy.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

there is no discussing circumventing regional restrictions here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement