Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Debit charges

Options
  • 04-02-2015 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I recently bought some items from Amazon Uk and I was charger visa debit 'charges.' Can anyone run me through the details of these charges? Can I avoid them? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Kerrybai wrote: »
    I recently bought some items from Amazon Uk and I was charger visa debit 'charges.' Can anyone run me through the details of these charges? Can I avoid them? Thanks.

Did you buy in sterling?
    I think amazon may offer the purchase in euro, but you then have to use their fx rate

edit just saw uk, so the charges are for buying outside euro zone

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Kerrybai

dobsdave wrote: »
    Did you buy in sterling?
    I think amazon may offer the purchase in euro, but you then have to use their fx rate

edit just saw uk, so the charges are for buying outside euro zone

Yeah I used Sterling as its cheaper with the exchange rate my bank offers compared to the exchange rate they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can't avoid those charges when buying from Amazon UK and you're right to pay in sterling. In the case of my last three purchases I made a note of the euro price they offered, declined and paid in sterling and in every case the charge on my credit card was less by buying in sterling. Consider buying from Amazon.de (Germany), the shipping charges may be higher but there will be no currency charges. You can use the same login and password so you won't have to register a new account.

Advertisement