Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lackadaisical landlord

Options
  • 04-02-2015 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭

Lads, anything to be done about a landlord who leaves the tenant with no running water except the kitchen cold tap for 2+ days? Can't wash clothes, can't flush toilet, can't wash! Completely pissed off and she's delighted that the water pump is still under warranty so it won't cost her anything to get a new one..

Second time in 6 months it's happened, last time we were without water for 4 days as she kept assuming it worked ah la "sure leave it alone it will sort itself out" way of thinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lads, anything to be done about a landlord who leaves the tenant with no running water except the kitchen cold tap for 2+ days? Can't wash clothes, can't flush toilet, can't wash! Completely pissed off and she's delighted that the water pump is still under warranty so it won't cost her anything to get a new one..

Second time in 6 months it's happened, last time we were without water for 4 days as she kept assuming it worked ah la "sure leave it alone it will sort itself out" way of thinking.

Well technically and in reality you do have water and can eg wash by boiling a kettle...and you can also flush the toilet by filling a bucket and then filling the cistern.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well technically and in reality you do have water and can eg wash by boiling a kettle...and you can also flush the toilet by filling a bucket and then filling the cistern.

Technically the property does not meet the minimum standards for rented housing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

OP when did you last talk to the landlord, what was agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ah now, boil a kettle to have a wash, I don't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Is this your landlord??? Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

If you paid for a night in a hotel, and they said this to you, would you say "that's grand"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Graces7 that technicality might wash (no pun intended) for a 24hr water loss, but when it pushes on past that, and it is obviously down to the landlords can't be bothered attitude then heck no. The OP is entitled to have a decent water system in the accommodation that he is paying for and it is the landlords responsibility to see to that. I'd also be wary over the fact that the pump only went six months ago. Was the replacement of sound quality, will the new replacement be? Or is it down to the workman who replaced the pump and therefore does the landlord intend to use same workman this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Graham wrote: »
    Technically the property does not meet the minimum standards for rented housing.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

Ll came back to me today and said it would be fixed tomorrow. Gave a, what I believe, narrow timeframe for getting it fixed. No apology came until I mentioned again how there is no running water. Apologised for delay and blamed everyone else. It was under warranty by an English company who had to authorise a replacement to be sent out. Only arriving this evening I assume as it will be put in tomorrow morning. Last time apparently was an electrical fault and not the pump itself so it wasn't replaced then. Guy doing it is someone she knows and trusts, could be relative or just a cheap handyman, no idea at all.

hdowney wrote: »
    Graces7 that technicality might wash (no pun intended) for a 24hr water loss, but when it pushes on past that, and it is obviously down to the landlords can't be bothered attitude then heck no. The OP is entitled to have a decent water system in the accommodation that he is paying for and it is the landlords responsibility to see to that. I'd also be wary over the fact that the pump only went six months ago. Was the replacement of sound quality, will the new replacement be? Or is it down to the workman who replaced the pump and therefore does the landlord intend to use same workman this time?

This is a temporary emergency situation.

If you paid for a night in a hotel, and they said this to you, would you say "that's grand"?

He is not in a hotel. Emergency situation here. I have been left in rentals with NO water when a pump has broken down and managed with bottled for a short period.

petes wrote: »
    Ah now, boil a kettle to have a wash, I don't think so!

Actually that is all I have frequently as I cannot afford to use an immersion heater so I boil water atop the solid fuel range. You guys are hot house flowers! In the bad winters I have to boil snow. When pipes freeze etc.

• Advertisement

Ll came back to me today and said it would be fixed tomorrow. Gave a, what I believe, narrow timeframe for getting it fixed. No apology came until I mentioned again how there is no running water. Apologised for delay and blamed everyone else. It was under warranty by an English company who had to authorise a replacement to be sent out. Only arriving this evening I assume as it will be put in tomorrow morning. Last time apparently was an electrical fault and not the pump itself so it wasn't replaced then. Guy doing it is someone she knows and trusts, could be relative or just a cheap handyman, no idea at all.

There you go then!

Graham wrote: »

Emergency situation... Leeway is courtesy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Locked pending review.

Advertisement