Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hen Party Help Needed

Options
  • 04-02-2015 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

Wondering if you could help me out!

I am planning my own hen party (let's just say my bms are nothing short of useless!), and had something all planned out for 11th April (not all entirely what I wanted, but hey, compromises!), long story short, the girls didn't come up with the money (or min numbers needed) in time (despite being given almost 2 months notice for the deposit!) and so we've lost our slot.

Now I'm completely at a loss as for what to do. Was thinking of spa night, with meal, nightclub entry, b&b for in and around the same price as I had gotten the other deal for (I had managed to get b&b, dinner, free drink, limo and entry to the butlers chocolate experience (special hen party tour) and also a nightclub for 119pp). Saw a great deal for a spa night inc. most of the above plus cocktail class in Roganstown House for 125pp but it's literally booked solid for the entire month of April and as we're getting married abroad in June, I figured that was the latest we could have it.

Any ideas would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Maybe your friends don't want to go to an expensive hen night as well as traveling abroad for the wedding? Sounds like that, if you had a it all planned and they didn't give you the €s! Try to do something that doesn't cost a lot of money, like just a meal for anyone who can make it, and reserve an area in a pub, anyone who can't make the meal, just meets ye in the pub? Or do you have a house, you could have a good old fashioned girls night in? Drinks, nibbles, karaoke etc? Or else if ye are travelling a few days before the wedding you could have your hen night out over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 benjani825

carrick on shannon is the best place i have been for both hens and stags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭username000

Your wedding is abroad and you want people to go away for your hens as well? Thats going to be very expensive.

Why dont you just have a cheap hens, a bit of a party in your house with nibbles and drinks til 10pm or so and then off to a pub/niteclub later on? That way its not too dear and people can kind of choose what bits to go to - if they just go to the house bit youll still see them etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 thatgirl1

HelgaWard wrote: »
    Maybe your friends don't want to go to an expensive hen night as well as traveling abroad for the wedding? Sounds like that, if you had a it all planned and they didn't give you the €s! Try to do something that doesn't cost a lot of money, like just a meal for anyone who can make it, and reserve an area in a pub, anyone who can't make the meal, just meets ye in the pub? Or do you have a house, you could have a good old fashioned girls night in? Drinks, nibbles, karaoke etc? Or else if ye are travelling a few days before the wedding you could have your hen night out over there?

It's not that at all, they were all perfectly happy with the idea when I originally went to them with it, none of them had an issue with the price (which was a concern of mine), they were more concered about nightclub entry (which I'm not a huge fan of!), they just didn't pay, despite them telling me they were going.

Unfortunately, the house thing wouldn't be an option as we live in an apartment, so theres not a whole lot of room, with most of my friends still living at home (let's just say I'm on the younger side of 25, as are they so they're still with their folks!) and my parents house is pretty far in the middle of the country, while most people are in Dublin, so that was another of my concerns, to keep it in Dublin.

Thanks for the ideas though, appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Wowza, I def wouldn't expect anyone to attend an expensive hen weekend with an overnight stay if you're having your wedding abroad! There's obviously a reason why the girls didn't jump at the idea.

+1 to the posters who've suggested a simple get together at home or in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Sorry, our posts crossed, just saw your other one.

Your wedding is abroad and you want people to go away for your hens as well? Thats going to be very expensive.

Why dont you just have a cheap hens, a bit of a party in your house with nibbles and drinks til 10pm or so and then off to a pub/niteclub later on? That way its not too dear and people can kind of choose what bits to go to - if they just go to the house bit youll still see them etc....

Thanks for the suggestion, but as mentioned earlier, not really an option as far as the house thing goes!

cactusgal wrote: »
    Wowza, I def wouldn't expect anyone to attend an expensive hen weekend with an overnight stay if you're having your wedding abroad! There's obviously a reason why the girls didn't jump at the idea.

+1 to the posters who've suggested a simple get together at home or in the pub.

Thanks again for the suggestion, not getting at you in particular, but I'm looking for ideas for nice places within that price range, not to be told to do it more cheaply.

benjani825 wrote: »
    carrick on shannon is the best place i have been for both hens and stags

Thanks benjani :), I'll have a look, was hoping to keep it within Dublin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I'd say cost is the main issue here, they might not have said it to your face but the fact that they didn't come up with the money makes it pretty clear. A night away for a stag or hen can be done pretty cheaply and at short notice, you'll just need to revise your budget.

• Advertisement

What about renting a holiday cottage(s) and then having a bit of a party there with food/drinks before heading off to pub/niteclub?

These ones in Tibradden are cool: http://www.dublincottages.com/
    And its not that far to Dundrum where you could go to a nice bar and then a niteclub?

I'd say cost is the main issue here, they might not have said it to your face but the fact that they didn't come up with the money makes it pretty clear. A night away for a stag or hen can be done pretty cheaply and at short notice, you'll just need to revise your budget.

Any suggestions? That's really what I'm looking for here. Thanks :)

What about renting a holiday cottage(s) and then having a bit of a party there with food/drinks before heading off to pub/niteclub

That seems like a nice idea, something a bit different too. I'll have a look into it :). Thanks

Ooh - I just thought of one - I think you can rent out a barge on the canal and have a party on it!

Yeah - there are a few: http://lapeniche.ie/exclusive-hire/hen-party-barge/

You could get a hotel nearby for after?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

mmm it sounds like something is suss.. do you mean to say useless with the bridesmaids in like a funny way or they are just shocking..Would be wondering why your having them if they are crap!!

But after all that pondering..I would say just book a table someplace for dinner, with no deposit needed, get an early bird or ask the restaurant to arrange a menu price for the bunch and just leave it at that.. Seems like the ladies who should be doing it either don't want to do it, or are just being muppets. So this way you wont loose anything really youll have a nice dinner out and a few drinks

Honestly, I know it's not what you want to hear, but if they didn't pay it was for a reason. You also said that you didn't meet minimum numbers for your original plan. I don't mean to sound cold - but perhaps take the hint?

Asking people to go away for your wedding and for your hen is just too much, and it sounds as if your friends just don't have the heart to tell you. I'm going to a wedding away too this year, and the hen weekend is also away and it's definitely put a bad taste in peoples mouths.

How about booking something more local? Dinner and reserve a section in a late bar/club?

thatgirl1 wrote: »

Well if you're set on going away I would suggest picking a city such as Cork or Galway and look at hostel style accommodation. There are excellent hostels around for a fraction of the price of even a cheap hotel. If that's not suitable you could look at renting a holiday home for the weekend and splitting the cost, that can often be quite cheap also.

If all of that fails I would suggest Dinner and Night Club in your home town, essentially a good night out and everyone can spend as much or as little as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

People will be slow to say to your face that they can't afford to go OP, it can be embarrassing, but as long as they didn't pay a deposit, you can't really take their initial enthusiasm as confirming they definitely want to go.

I'm not sure how many people you are talking about here, but perhaps price your own preferred option, and then one about half that price maybe more local, then email the options and ask for a vote? Put a time deadline on it so you are not hanging for too long. It's a lot easier to say no to something when you are saying yes to something else! Especially if they could leave before the nightclub, for example. Or join you after a meal maybe for drinks only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Early bird dinner followed by a nearby pub.

If someone expected me to go away for a hen as well as a wedding I would refuse as well. Like someone else said, take the hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't go to a night away hen regardless of cost as it is completely over the top. What's wrong with dinner drinks? Hen and stag nights away are extremely self indulgent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tarmon

+1 for Carrick on Shannon. Lots of great places to stay, restaurants, pubs and nightclubs. Its only 10 min from Lough Key Forest Park which has lots of great activities like the Boda Borg (crystal maze type thing), boat hire and Segways! The Segways are great fun and I'm sure they'd make a very memorable hen party!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

thatgirl1 wrote: »

Carrick on Shannon as already mentioned. My hens is there in august. Great packages available and the house sleep 10 people. Think its 119 (can double check definite prices) which includes 4 course meal with drinks, cocktails an champagne in nightclub, activity, 2 nights accommodation, finger food in reserved area of pub. To add the train is about 50 euro or you could car share our look into mini bus hire.

lazygal wrote: »
    I wouldn't go to a night away hen regardless of cost as it is completely over the top. What's wrong with dinner drinks? Hen and stag nights away are extremely self indulgent.

Ah no it's great to get away for a carefree weekend with your friends. People do go over the top with activities or accommodation sometimes but it doesn't have to be that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

If I were you, based on what you have posted, I'd be arranging a local pub night out and then on to the nightclub.

Sounds to me like your friends either don't have the money or want to spend the money on a big hen.

If you continue with your plans you will end up out of pocket and disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Honestly, I know it's not what you want to hear, but if they didn't pay it was for a reason. You also said that you didn't meet minimum numbers for your original plan. I don't mean to sound cold - but perhaps take the hint?

?

It may be the wedding abroad has people strapped for cash.

But having been best man twice I can tell you this , you have to hound people for the money for the stag. i can only assume a hen is similar. You have to go into debt collector mode. It's not about them not having the money , it's having the wherewithall to actually go do something. In other words most people are useless.

Having useless bridesmaids doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ah no it's great to get away for a carefree weekend with your friends. People do go over the top with activities or accommodation sometimes but it doesn't have to be that way.

But the friends are already going away for the wedding. Why does any one need to have a weekend away just because they're getting married? It's a Celtic tiger thing that should be left to that era.

lazygal wrote: »
    But the friends are already going away for the wedding. Why does any one need to have a weekend away just because they're getting married? It's a Celtic tiger thing that should be left to that era.

Because its fun to go away with just your friends every once in a while?

My own experience of Stag parties is that everyone loves going away for a night or two but that they don't want it to cost too much. If there is a group sharing a hostel or AirBnB accommodation it can be done very cheaply, nothing Celtic Tiger about spending two nights in a hostel in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ooh - I just thought of one - I think you can rent out a barge on the canal and have a party on it!

Yeah - there are a few: http://lapeniche.ie/exclusive-hire/hen-party-barge/

You could get a hotel nearby for after?

OHHHH I want a barge this looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Because its fun to go away with just your friends every once in a while?

My own experience of Stag parties is that everyone loves going away for a night or two but that they don't want it to cost too much. If there is a group sharing a hostel or AirBnB accommodation it can be done very cheaply, nothing Celtic Tiger about spending two nights in a hostel in Cork.

Wedding away, hen party away, that's twice in a very short while!

I can't imagine many people can afford both. Hostel for the hen is all very well but on top of going away for a wedding it's all big money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 CurvesAndBoots

Hi, you could try the Osprey Hotel in Naas? they have a €75 package, for overnight stay, meal in the restuarant, with breakfast and use of their swimming pool sauna etc and free entry into their nightclub..its great fun down there me and my friends go anytime the packages run the deals :) or they have the €105 package that will include all the above, plus a spa treatment
    Have a great hens! :)

Advertisement