Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General GAA Discussion

• 04-02-2015 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Thought this thread might be worth a go to chat about things that you wouldn't give a full thread to such as the odd retirement, club games, concerts in CP etc etc.

Anyway I'll get it rolling.

Colm Parkinson is hosting a GAA show on Setanta tonight at 10.00. Think its called Allianz Leagues Extra.

Leinster Council are still pushing for a round robin format for weaker teams in football. The aim to improve competitiveness in the Leinster football championship.
    Not a fan myself to be honest. The hurling version isn't too popular and I cant see how giving a couple more games to Div 3/4 teams will get them any closer to Dublin. I think development funding, structures, motivation, coaching etc need to be looked at in Leinster not the format. Also think all provincial championships should have a standard structure. All knock out or all have a round robin.

GAA revenue up slightly but this had nothing to do with the Sky deal. Interesting.
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=231345

Also what does everyone think of the stadium clock idea being canned?

Springsteen in line for a couple of CP gigs, subject to license I should imagine.

Shoot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

iDave wrote: »
    Thought this thread might be worth a go to chat about things that you wouldn't give a full thread to such as the odd retirement, club games, concerts in CP etc etc.

Anyway I'll get it rolling.

Colm Parkinson is hosting a GAA show on Setanta tonight at 10.00. Think its called Allianz Leagues Extra.

Leinster Council are still pushing for a round robin format for weaker teams in football. The aim to improve competitiveness in the Leinster football championship.
    Not a fan myself to be honest. The hurling version isn't too popular and I cant see how giving a couple more games to Div 3/4 teams will get them any closer to Dublin. I think development funding, structures, motivation, coaching etc need to be looked at in Leinster not the format. Also think all provincial championships should have a standard structure. All knock out or all have a round robin.

GAA revenue up slightly but this had nothing to do with the Sky deal. Interesting.
    http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=231345

Also what does everyone think of the stadium clock idea being canned?

Springsteen in line for a couple of CP gigs, subject to license I should imagine.

Shoot.
    Works well in Rugby forum..
    I think opposite on round robin idea. Gives some of the smaller/weaker counties another game or two and a chance to build some real momentum and potentially should give them a better chance against stronger sides.
    Don't think all provinces have to have a standard format. All provincial councils should have the freedom to do whats best for the counties in their province regardless of what other provinces are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Works well in Rugby forum..
    I think opposite on round robin idea. Gives some of the smaller/weaker counties another game or two and a chance to build some real momentum and potentially should give them a better chance against stronger sides.
    Don't think all provinces have to have a standard format. All provincial councils should have the freedom to do whats best for the counties in their province regardless of what other provinces are doing.

Ye saw the one on the Rugby forum and works well

The problem I envisage with different formats is a Team X in Connacht will get a bye to a semi while Team Y in Leinster has to play about 3 games in a round robin just to get the a semi and that will lead to further calls of unfairness and a lopsided format.
    Again not sure how Offaly, Longford, Carlow etc. will get any closer to Dublin by playing a handful extra games, might bring them closer to Meath, Kildare, Laois but this is supposed to be about helping teams get closer to Dublin.

Parkinsons show was ok but the set looked dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Ye saw the one on the Rugby forum and works well

The problem I envisage with different formats is a Team X in Connacht will get a bye to a semi while Team Y in Leinster has to play about 3 games in a round robin just to get the a semi and that will lead to further calls of unfairness and a lopsided format.
    Again not sure how Offaly, Longford, Carlow etc. will get any closer to Dublin by playing a handful extra games, might bring them closer to Meath, Kildare, Laois but this is supposed to be about helping teams get closer to Dublin.

Parkinsons show was ok but the set looked dirt cheap.
    I think if you let provincial councils off to arrange their own championships it's a recipe for bedlam(which is pretty much what is there at the moment) any competition should have the basic tenet that each team plays the same amount of games to get to the same stage of the knockout, ie quarter finals

Mehapoy wrote: »
    I think if you let provincial councils off to arrange their own championships it's a recipe for bedlam(which is pretty much what is there at the moment) any competition should have the basic tenet that each team plays the same amount of games to get to the same stage of the knockout, ie quarter finals

Yeah I would agree, of course how do we get to that point? Some say Champion League but that ignores the political realities. The 4x8 is the best suggestion IMO but its hard to bring about any change from the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Yeah I would agree, of course how do we get to that point? Some say Champion League but that ignores the political realities. The 4x8 is the best suggestion IMO but its hard to bring about any change from the status quo.

That's the 64 million dollar question, I suppose there is no system that will get everyone's agreement, personally I think it's putting the horse before the cart coming up with the structure first, I think the GAA needs to sit down first and come up with the principles that any structure should contain, then see is there a structure that fits into that, such as:
    Every team to get 3 meaningful championship games
    No dead rubbers
    Keep provincial borders as much as possible?
    Every team to play the same amount of games before the knock out stages
    Predictable schedule of games so counties can fit in club games
    Every game to have interest for supporters and media
    Very hard to get a structure that facilitates all that, but I think that needs to be the starting point...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Every team to get 3 meaningful championship games
    No dead rubbers
    Keep provincial borders as much as possible?
    Every team to play the same amount of games before the knock out stages
    Predictable schedule of games so counties can fit in club games
    Every game to have interest for supporters and media
    Very hard to get a structure that facilitates all that, but I think that needs to be the starting point...

100% in agreement
    Another is attendance which impacts competitions such as Ulster Football & Munster Hurling where there would be a big percentage of the attendance from neighboring counties.

I would like the provincials to stay with a new backdoor & introduce a last 16 round.The key to it is access for clubs to play championship in the summer.

I also think the Tommy Murphy should be reinvented for certain teams but only after they are eliminated from Championship

Sweet jesus Brolly as GAA president, thankfully he's ruled it out

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=231410

Not a fan of the black card and some very inconsistent refereeing of it last night in navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Jampip

Not a fan of the black card and some very inconsistent refereeing of it last night in navan.

It's happening all over the country to be honest. Referees often take the easier approach and give a yellow.

For example, recent McKenna Cup game between Cavan and Monaghan. About 20 minutes in a ball went into Martin Dunne at full forward and he managed to slip away from Drew Wylie, Wylie turned around and grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him down. Dunne was in the clear to be through on goal so it was a clear black card. Ref gave nothing but a free, despite the fact that it's exactly the reason the black card was introduced.

Second half, Niall McDermott, already on a yellow, loses the ball and out of frustration trips the Monaghan back with his hand while on the ground, referee runs in and gives the black card and Cavan are down to 14.

Inconistent applying of it also cost Cavan in the U21 semi final against Dublin last year.

Wonder how long Bentley will last

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=232078

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Some people may have seen this

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/02/17/lets-settle-this-like-gentlemen/

I understand that fights happen but to then seek to use such a fight as a promotional tool is very wrong to me. The Fight itself and the bizarre sense of pride the two clubs seem to take in it presents the Clubs, the GAA and Irish people generally in a very poor light. Even more so as the clubs are in the UK.

Do people think this should be allowed or should the GAA get involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's a bit unsavoury alright.

Not sure what good the GAA intervening would do. If anything it'll make them more determined to see it through and the usual calls of the GAA being out of touch with its membership.
    Theres better ways of promoting GAA though.
    Having said that I'm glad I saw the video mainly for the 'kick' at 0.42. Bloody hell where did he come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Not sure what good the GAA intervening would do. If anything it'll make them more determined to see it through and the usual calls of the GAA being out of touch with its membership.
    Theres better ways of promoting GAA though.
    Having said that I'm glad I saw the video mainly for the 'kick' at 0.42. Bloody hell where did he come from.

It is essentially using a violent incident to promote the clubs, bringing the Association into disrepute, I would expect that those are things the GAA coupld punish the clubs for with fines etc?

the Kick is unreal alright:eek:

Disappointing to see Offaly needing a bailout for O'Connor Park

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=232210

A decent sized ground, not oversized like others, built to a decent standard and that's not financially viable. How do we improve grounds like Newbridge and Navan when another Leinster county can afford their modest but sensible upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

O'Connor Park is a fabulous little ground. It should get a lot more use given its central location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Was at the two KK vs GY matches played there last year. Great atmosphere in the ground on both days.

BTW anybody know how does the bailout work? Does the GAA provide interest-free/low interest loans? Is there a lien on the grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

citykat wrote: »
    BTW anybody know how does the bailout work? Does the GAA provide interest-free/low interest loans? Is there a lien on the grounds?

Kildare County Board got a loan of €500,000 from Croke Park two years ago which is being serviced at €100,000 a year until 2018.

Good to see the GAA can still bring in big name sponsors

http://www.the42.ie/aib-gaa-football-championship-sponsorship-1949612-Feb2015/

And AIB have done a good job promoting the club championships (The Toughest) but seeing the AIB logo will grate with me given their role in this countries financial collapse.

Advertisement