Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Issue

Options
  • 04-02-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey all,

I have this weird connection issue that I can't figure out at all. My PC connects to my LAN but the only web page it will load is Facebook. Everything else on the LAN can load any site I try, it just seems to be my PC. I have checked to see if there was any security set up on the network that will only allow a connection to Facebook but nothing. I tried to ping a few sites such as google and that will work. I then tried to connect to google.ie by entering their IP address in the URL bar but nothing on that either so I doubt it's a DNS issue. But to tel the truth I have no idea what the problem is and if anyone could be of any help it would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you tried a different browser and checked your machine for infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lkavo

Yes, I have tried it on Chrome, Firefox and IE noting and I ran a scan twice yesterday and today just to be sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What did you use for the scan? Have you tired something like Malware Bytes? Also did you try turning off the firewall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Could it be an issue with HOST file?

That's what I used to do the scan.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

That's the HOST file, I don't know anything about it so I don't know if that is how it's supposed to look.

• Advertisement

That looks fine so its not that.

Have you tried starting Firefox in safe mode? Hold shift key while you start it I think.

The connection is starting to drop on all my devices and the speeds are well below what they should be so I think it might be a problem on UPCs end and not mine.

No starting firefox in safe mode doesn't help at all.

lkavo wrote: »
    The connection is starting to drop on all my devices and the speeds are well below what they should be so I think it might be a problem on UPCs end and not mine.

No starting firefox in safe mode doesn't help at all.

Wat about booting in safe mode?

Yea I tried that, doesn't work.

Yea I tried that, doesn't work.

What devices are on your LAN, switch? ISP supplied router? Etc

• Advertisement

Hijpo wrote: »
    What devices are on your LAN, switch? ISP supplied router? Etc

ISP supplied router, 2 Phones and the PC and there's a smart TV connected via Ethernet cable.

ISP supplied router, 2 Phones and the PC and there's a smart TV connected via Ethernet cable.

Where any changes made to the PC at all? settings changed? Software installed?
    Is it just staying on Google when you type the address or is it giving an error like server not found?

Hijpo wrote: »
    Where any changes made to the PC at all? settings changed? Software installed?
    Is it just staying on Google when you type the address or is it giving an error like server not found?

Nope nothing new installed.

When I try to load google it just looks like it's trying to connect but never does.

Any proxy settings setup?

Nope, no proxy settings, no VPN nothing like that. Tried moving to a less congested channel but that doesn't seem to work either.

Nope, no proxy settings, no VPN nothing like that. Tried moving to a less congested channel but that doesn't seem to work either.

After that the only thing I can think of is ruling things like performing a hard reset of the router to clear any changes that may have been made ie rule out the router completely.
    Then boot in safemode with networking to try rule out some of the adware/malware issues.
    Short of that try it on someone elses LAN.

Advertisement