Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO strategy / optimising "non competitive" websites

Options
  • 04-02-2015 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how you would implement an SEO strategy, if any, to websites that wouldn't really be competing with anyone else.

Let's assume they are using social media to keep consumers/users updated regularly as well as a news section.

For example, a transport website. Out of curiosity I was looking at a public transport website for a UK city.

There is probably no need to rank for certain terms as they'd get a lot of direct traffic.

I did notice they didn't include twitter or Facebook icons on any of their pages. You only got links to these when you went to their contacts page.

I would have thought it would be important for a transport website to have these icons clearly visible on their website?

Apart from that, all you can do then in theory, is to come up with a social media strategy across the board?

If the site is set up well, and the meta tags have been optimised, is there much more you can do? You're not really competing with anyone else, because if it's a bus company, or a tram company, or a train company, say, in London, it's all going to be under the one umbrella....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Does such a website even need an SEO stragegy?

Who do they want to find them by search?

Goals should drive strategy. If there are no goals, then no strategy is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I suppose. What about maintaining a satisfactory web presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Satisfactory for what?

For example, some people believe that for many small businesses, a Google Places listing is quite satisfactory for web-presence: it gets them hits from local mobile searchers who are going to spend money imminently, and doesn't waste cash paying for traffic charges from other searchers who are unlikely to benefit the business in any way.

In your example - satisfactory might mean that the official city transport website comes up ahead of any private sector advertising initiatives. IMHO the SEO strategy would involve backlinks from very authoritative sites (eg the local council, local newspapers), and all the normal stuff. (header tags, alt tags, keywords).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Satisfactory for what?

In your example - satisfactory might mean that the official city transport website comes up ahead of any private sector advertising initiatives. IMHO the SEO strategy would involve backlinks from very authoritative sites (eg the local council, local newspapers), and all the normal stuff. (header tags, alt tags, keywords).

Yes, I reckon in this case, it would be probably just be the case of maintaining a good user friendly website, with up to date content etc.

Advertisement