Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Inflating Tyres in Petrol Station

• 04-02-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

On the CB500 I had installed right angled valves and never thought too much about it. Today on the TDM I felt the front tyre and it felt a bit flat, so I went to a petrol station to inflate. First thing that got me was they charged 50c for 6mins of air. I had loads of loose change so I put it in the meter.
    Next thing that got me was, you set the pressure at the guage, which is a mile away from your bike so I couldn't see it. I'd imagine some sort of beep would tell you when its reached the desired pressure.
    And the third thing was, it was a bugger to attach the solid steel connector to the valves. Next tyre change I'll install right angled valves,but that wont be for a while as the tyres are good.
    Blue said he carried one of these with him to avoid the problem. Where do I get one? Rant over :D
    blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    I would imagine it would offset the balance or put pressure on the valve at speeds.

I carry one of these in my pocket, I dont like leaving it on the valve, just screw it on when needed and take it off when done.

$_12.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Cheers man, That seems to be in the cycling section of Halfords though, is it the same type of connector at the top end ie schrader valve and not a prestler? (theres a dust cap at the top end so its hard to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cheers man, That seems to be in the cycling section of Halfords though, is it the same type of connector at the top end ie schrader valve and not a prestler? (theres a dust cap at the top end so its hard to tell.

I've seen them in Halfrods in the proper bike section. Most bike shops should have them as they are fairly handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I enjoyed that rant! LOL

Blue, is the linked one in halfords the one you have?

• Advertisement

Blue, is the linked one in halfords the one you have?

Looks very similar, mine is a different colour. Same type too.

Blue, this is like extracting teeth:pac: Would it be at all possible to tell me where you got yours? A link online or the shop you bought it from would be great.
    Cheers man

And just more little extra rant, Once I'd inflated them, I let half the air out disconnecting the fúckers :mad:

Blue, this is like extracting teeth:pac: Would it be at all possible to tell me where you got yours? A link online or the shop you bought it from would be great.
    Cheers man

And just more little extra rant, Once I'd inflated them, I let half the air out disconnecting the fúckers :mad:

lmao! I have images of you battering your keyboard in anger!
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/90-DEGREE-TYRE-VALVE-EXTENSIONS-ADAPTOR-5-MOTORCYCLE-VAN-LORRY-MOTORBIKE-TRUCK-/221292031894?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3386086f96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Yeah, does my tyres no problem Skill ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Far as I know schrader valves are the same across cycley bikes, motos and cars.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Far as I know schrader valves are the same across cycley bikes, motos and cars.
    ye man, its easy to see from the above photo, but from original link it was hard to define
    1 because it had the dust cap screwed on the whole way
    2 It was posted in the cycling section

A preslter valve is one of those really skinny ones, that typically go on race bycycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those adaptors don't weigh that much but when they're going around at speed they put strain on the tyre valve, it's possible to pull the valve out of the rim.

Charging for air is a disgrace but many places don't have it at all, or it's not working right. This is a safety issue.

The best thing to do is over-inflate the tyre according to the pump (and 90 degree adaptor if you need one) then take the adaptor off, and let the tyre down to the correct pressure using your own gauge that fits properly and will be more accurate than a petrol station gauge that gets whacked around and driven over.

Scrap the cap!

Those adaptors don't weigh that much but when they're going around at speed they put strain on the tyre valve, it's possible to pull the valve out of the rim.

Charging for air is a disgrace but many places don't have it at all, or it's not working right. This is a safety issue.

The best thing to do is over-inflate the tyre according to the pump (and 90 degree adaptor if you need one) then take the adaptor off, and let the tyre down to the correct pressure using your own gauge that fits properly and will be more accurate than a petrol station gauge that gets whacked around and driven over.
    i hear ye, I normally inflate them with a track pump but will need to get one of thes 90 degree jobbies for the pocket, I'll have to get a pocket guage while I'm at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I just carry an RAC compressor around with me and power it off the socket on the bike sorted!! Even has an inbuilt light if using it in the dark.....works brilliantly.
    Its a no brainer for the price of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAC-Compact-Air-Compressor-12/dp/B00BYORVMG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When you get new tyres don't be a miserable bugger and get some right angle valve stems fitted.https://www.motomummy.com/valve-stems/bridgeport-90-degree-angled-valve-stem-set/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely worth getting right handed valves. Any garage I go to where the gauge is on the compressor, you set the pressure you want. So you dont need to see it.
    At the moment I always go to a garage that's got free air, just need a trolley token

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I'v noticed a trend with the garages over the past couple of months that they have started charging for air

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Air is free , compressors cost money , I hate paying for air myself but it's a sign of the times .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

jay48 wrote: »
    Air is free , compressors cost money , I hate paying for air myself but it's a sign of the times .

I was at the train station in Cork a while back, and at the coffee kiosk they had a notice up saying that they charged for hot water.
    You don't get much for free from businesses these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

On the CB500 I had installed right angled valves and never thought too much about it. Today on the TDM I felt the front tyre and it felt a bit flat, so I went to a petrol station to inflate. First thing that got me was they charged 50c for 6mins of air. I had loads of loose change so I put it in the meter.
    Next thing that got me was, you set the pressure at the guage, which is a mile away from your bike so I couldn't see it. I'd imagine some sort of beep would tell you when its reached the desired pressure.
    And the third thing was, it was a bugger to attach the solid steel connector to the valves. Next tyre change I'll install right angled valves,but that wont be for a while as the tyres are good.
    Blue said he carried one of these with him to avoid the problem. Where do I get one? Rant over :D

50c? Its €1 for 5 mins in the Esso garage on Ballymun Road. I had to put air in the car tyres a couple of weeks ago, bit the bullet & went in, someone waiting after me, cheeky fecker used up me last minute for free. I'm actually thinking of hanging around the garage to do the same with the bike :D

Where are the garages with free air?

The Topaz round the corner beside the Autobahn has free air, as does Tescoes clearwater

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    50c? Its €1 for 5 mins in the Esso garage on Ballymun Road. I had to put air in the car tyres a couple of weeks ago, bit the bullet & went in, someone waiting after me, cheeky fecker used up me last minute for free. I'm actually thinking of hanging around the garage to do the same with the bike :D

Where are the garages with free air?

This one on the naas road just before the red cow has free air.
    http://goo.gl/maps/OFa2f
    Think it's just changed from an applegreen though. You'll need a euro or a trolley token to use it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

The J4 Turvey services near blakes cross have free air round the back. Loads of space and a supermacs as well :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I've yet to come across any that charge for air. To be honest if I did I'd probably turn around and just head to one I know where I know doesn't charge. Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I like the ones with the trolley coin attachments, least you know there not getting driven over ... much :D

gerrowadat wrote: »
    The J4 Turvey services near blakes cross have free air round the back. Loads of space and a supermacs as well :-)

One I linked to has a mcdonalds :pac:
    Get there early on a sunday morning so you can be blanked by the harley riders who stop there!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

I wouldn't mind paying a small bit if the machine worked correctly. So many of the machines out there don't work or give an incorrect reading.
    Must head to Lee Motorcycles on Saturday and get one of those valves. They look the business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    50c? Its €1 for 5 mins in the Esso garage on Ballymun Road
    That's inflation for you... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AD! wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind paying a small bit if the machine worked correctly. So many of the machines out there don't work or give an incorrect reading.

It's the operators who break the machines, people leaving the nozzle on the ground or damaging the air lines none of which are cheap to replace, which is why they have to start charging. I never trust an airline reading always carry your own pressure gauge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've used those valves, and left them in place for the last 30 years without a bother.

But even taking them off you won't lose enough air worth mentioning so do what you feel is best.

Advertisement