Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT on online English lessons in EU

Options
  • 04-02-2015 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

This is related to a previous question. I want to provide English lessons online now to other EU countries. But with the new EU rule as of the start of 2015, I must charge VAT at the rate and threshold for the country the resident lives in. Is there any where online I can view the thresholds for VAT and rate of VAT for other EU countries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Talk to an accountant, because "training" is a weird one. Sometimes it can be VAT-0, sometimes VAT-23.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-04617.jsp
    Rate: EXEMPT

Remarks:
    Exemption applies to language training provided by a tutor, similar to school or university education. The supply of Language learning packages including books, CDs etc. where they are incidental to the provision of education/training itself is also exempt. Otherwise, such learning packages are taxable by reference to their content.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

This is related to a previous question. I want to provide English lessons online now to other EU countries. But with the new EU rule as of the start of 2015, I must charge VAT at the rate and threshold for the country the resident lives in. Is there any where online I can view the thresholds for VAT and rate of VAT for other EU countries?

The huge problem for small businesses across Europe is that there is no lower threshold so whether you sell 9 or 9 million euros worth of services you are still subject to the same VAT rules.

More information here:

http://euvataction.org/

Trojan wrote: »
    Talk to an accountant, because "training" is a weird one. Sometimes it can be VAT-0, sometimes VAT-23.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-04617.jsp

If the service is being provided electronically then it falls under the VAT MOSS rules where you must account for VAT in the customer's location. The reference above to CD's and books would constitute physical products being shipped. The problem is that a lot of accountants don't even fully understand the implementation of this new legislation yet. It's complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Teaching services, where the course content is delivered by a teacher over the Internet or an electronic network would not be considered an electronically supplied service so the place of supply rules in this instance do not change. If your customers are non registered persons the place of supply is Ireland and presumably training/teaching are exempt supplies. If your customers are business then the place of supply is where the customer is and they account for the service on the reverse charge basis.

If there is no human intervention eg the customer downloads files, podcasts etc then this would be electronically supplied services and you would need to register for MOSS and account for the VAT accordingly.

dbran

Advertisement