Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Option to train in Tenerife

• 04-02-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice.

Lets just say that you had to take a weeks holidays from work before the end of March.
    Lets say that your better half cannot take any time off until after March.
    Lets say that you have got approval (or better described as not outright disapproval) that you could use this holiday time to take off to Tenerife on your own to get some winter sun training done on Mount Teide.
    While money is not THE issue, it is course an issue as this money could be used for something else.

Given that I am only starting to get back into training after a while off (had a good January but December was a write off) would this be a good use of resources.

The reason I ask is that I could simply take the time off and train here, saving the money but obviously you face the prospect of bad weather and not having anything like Teide to climb.

1st world problem I know!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Simple, stay in Ireland, new bike and train in Wicklow :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes I thought of that, but a new bike will cost me more than the week away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Lets just say I woke up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Go for it! I know I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Doc07

What a dilemma! Enjoy the week, home or abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leroy42 wrote: »
    .... get some winter sun training done on Mount Teide.....
    Go for it - it's a fantastic climb.

016_zps50619ffe.jpg

015_zpsae4d356a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Tenerife is a cycling Mecca, beautiful scenery and roads, but its still a no brainer for me. Going there now when you are still getting back up to speed, you'll get 3 or 4 good spins in max and they'll be a slog. I'd go local for the week off, then try and get over there later this year (with the better half).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

The only word of warning i would add is that a week with only yourself to talk to is a long time,i done 4 days on me tod a few years ago its a lonely road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Go for it

The only word of warning i would add is that a week with only yourself to talk to is a long time,i done 4 days on me tod a few years ago its a lonely road

Yeah, I did a week in France on my tod a few years ago and its is tough enough. Part of the fun in this cycling lark is being able to talk about it afterwards.

Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll skip it in March, just take the time off at home and get some training done.

Will try to to get over there in May when I should have a bit more work done and might be able to handle the climb better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Slightly off topic, but which is better for Cycling? Tenerife or Majorca? Whos cycled on both islands?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Lets say that your better half cannot take any time off until after March.

Lets say that you have got approval (or better described as not outright disapproval) that you could use this holiday time to take off to Tenerife on your own to get some winter sun training done on Mount Teide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

Given the fact that you have been off for a while, and that you have the full day, every day, there is probably no advantage from the pure training side of it (but lots of other factors of course).
    There are only so many hours you can train in the day/week at the level you are at, and neither do you need the longest climb in Europe.
    So, if you ask yourself the questions - how many hours do I want to train in the week and how much altitude do I want to put up? - you'll probably find that you can do this fine at home unless you run into a particularly crappy week of weather. And you'll have two days extra that you would have spent traveling. You won't get an early tan-line of course.
    An alternative strategy might be to save your money, stay at home, train for a few hours every day, have the floor swept and a nice dinner ready when OH comes home, and store up the browne points until you really need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Have you got kids?

What are you training for? I assume you are not a pro rider.

Will you be going totally alone? Dinner for one? You'll You'd need to be out about 7 hours every day to justify it. You'll be bored out of your tits both on the bike and off it.

For training I think you'd be better off going to an organised residental camp thing.

I'd just take the last week of March off, and stay at home, save the money, train here, and have the time to do other less selfish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

http://tenerifebiketraining.com
    These lads look good.

Im for tenerife for a week at the start of April. Training for La Marmotte so obviously going for the long climbs out there. The wife is going as well so i will have a bit of company to lie beside the pool with after my 4 hour slogs up Mt Teide.

el tel wrote: »
    Have you got kids?

What are you training for? I assume you are not a pro rider.

Will you be going totally alone? Dinner for one? You'll You'd need to be out about 7 hours every day to justify it. You'll be bored out of your tits both on the bike and off it.

For training I think you'd be better off going to an organised residental camp thing.

I'd just take the last week of March off, and stay at home, save the money, train here, and have the time to do other less selfish stuff.

Yes, I have kids

I am training for La Marmotte. Having done it in the past I really want to give it everything this year. If I was a pro I wouldn't need tobe asking, they would be taking me.

Going on my own as that is just the way things are working out. Would prefer to go with the wife and kids but wife can't come and therefore can't bring the kids and cycle. Dinner for one I'm not worried about, I'm not going for a holiday as such (although of course that is a bonus). Not sure about 7 hours but certainly will have to be putting in some serious work on the days over there. Would certainly be bored off the bike, not sure how you could get bored with those climbs.

The problem with the camp things is that they are very expensive, I can get a week in tenerife for half the price. Of course you don't get the whole camp thing but tbh if you know what you are going out there for, have the routes etc already planned, not really sure of the benefit of a group. Having someone to cover for you sure.

Am leaning towards May. I can get some more training done over here over the next few months and then head over 6 weeks before the Marmotte to gauge my level. One thing is training here, it is another altogether getting used to the heat and the length of the climbs.

It is selfish, I know that. But then that's what we all do to varying degrees. We all spend hours on the bikes on a Sunday, spend thousands on new bikes, gear etc. Spend hours getting to and from races/sportives or even just watching the tour on the TV. That time/money could be spent on others/other things but there has got to be something in it for us as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

It is selfish, I know that. But then that's what we all do to varying degrees. We all spend hours on the bikes on a Sunday, spend thousands on new bikes, gear etc. Spend hours getting to and from races/sportives or even just watching the tour on the TV. That time/money could be spent on others/other things but there has got to be something in it for us as well.

While I wouldn't get away with a week in tenerife on my todd in a million years, there was no need for the drive-by guilt trips. Enjoy the week and best of luck in the Marmotte.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Dinner for one?

do other less selfish stuff.

Harsh comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you can go for a week March or May just do it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the solo side of it. If there are lots of cyclists about you'll meet people on road, maybe fall in with them for a spin or two. Alternate hard training days with lazy meanderings days on bike.

Eat well, rest well, spend a little more time stretching/foam roller etc and enjoy the break. Pick up a nice thoughtful present for Ms Leroy rather than something last minute in airport and you'll be sorted for next year!

While I wouldn't get away with a week in tenerife on my todd in a million years, there was no need for the drive-by guilt trips. Enjoy the week and best of luck in the Marmotte.

I wasn't trying to do 'drive-by guilt trips' I was merely pointing out, in reply to the selfish comment, that we all to some extent are selfish, cycling by its very nature is just that. It requires time and effort and money. Far more than lots of other sports.

I am very lucky that Mrs Leroy understands how important I see this (that doesn't mean that she agrees) and this is just a special set of circumstances that have lead to this.

I have come close a few times to booking it but always hold off. In the back of my mind is the selfishness of it and of course the extra burden I am placing on Mrs and missing the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Ultimately its a personal decision, but on the face of it, a week in the sunshine with those hills its a pretty awesome prospect. I'd be over like a light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Hi Ho

Will you be going totally alone? Dinner for one? You'll You'd need to be out about 7 hours every day to justify it. You'll be bored out of your tits both on the bike and off it

Some people don't mind their own company.

Advertisement