Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Ruined today at Cherrywood LUAS Station

• 04-02-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

My first day getting LUAS to work in town from Cherrywood today. I locked my bike at the bicycle stands at Cherrywood LUAS station, just got back and it has been wrecked. The back tyre has been almost completely smashed off, the gears have been knocked off, it is ruined.

That's about a 40 minute walk to the LUAS now without a bike, not even sure if it can be fixed, not that local bike shops seem to be open at this time.

Gutted. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

No advice . Little backstarts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Have you been able to get CCTV?
    Make sure its reported to the guards.they might be able to request access to the video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

Have you been able to get CCTV?
    Make sure its reported to the guards.they might be able to request access to the video

Yes I reported it to the Guards. It was right up beside the LUAS lines so hopefully it should be on the CCTV.

Damn, the metal bar - I don't know what it's called - that the back wheel was connected to, has been broken - can that even be fixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Field east

It is not the end of the world but it must have been very close to it to have your bike wrecked and It your first day at work .Did u talk to stationmaster/ staff on site?. Consider replacing it with a 'battered' looking model and spray it here and there with a eg red or yellow marker.
    Treat it as an experience, hopefully a cheap one. So get up , dust yourself down, get yourself a cheap bike and motor on. Try recycling centres - if the man will let you have a look and those websites that more or less advertise for items to be taken away for little or nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Field east wrote: »
    It is not the end of the world but it must have been very close to it to have your bike wrecked and It your first day at work .Did u talk to stationmaster/ staff on site?. Consider replacing it with a 'battered' looking model and spray it here and there with a eg red or yellow marker.
    Treat it as an experience, hopefully a cheap one. So get up , dust yourself down, get yourself a cheap bike and motor on. Try recycling centres - if the man will let you have a look and those websites that more or less advertise for items to be taken away for little or nothing
    Luas stops are like bus stops, no staff or station masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

Rezident wrote: »
    Damn, the metal bar - I don't know what it's called - that the back wheel was connected to, has been broken - can that even be fixed?

The frame??
    Chain stay??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If it's a steel frame the stays can be welded back together to the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bike sounds like a write off unless it's worth alot. Without pictures hard to tell.

Sorry to hear you had to suffer. Only advice I can give is to never Park bike at a luas stop. No use to you now I know but they are just not safe for that sort of property. Too many absolute scrotes with Time on their hands at them

Field east wrote: »

There were no staff at the station.

Yes I am looking at cheap bikes on Donedeal now and hoping the one I pick was not stolen from another cyclist. But these skangers just wrecked the bike, they couldn't steal it as it was locked. So they can just wreck teh next one too. This was my first day using the LUAS, can you just not leave bikes at LUAS stations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Consider getting a cheap fixie/single speed (as your commute to the station seems very short). Less stuff to vandalise.

Would you not consider commuting full distance to work? Are there facilities in your workplace for locking a bike?

countrykid wrote: »
    The frame??
    Chain stay??

Yes the frame, it has been completely broken on one side. It is metal, that would have taken a lot of battering and a really concerted effort. They must have spent time on it. Somebody put a lot of energy into it. How sad are these peoples' lives? I do feel sorry of them that the only way they think they can be significant is via destruction.

Karma, I mean, I know their lives must be in a pretty bad way to begin with but I can see things getting worse for them in the future.

Consider getting a cheap fixie/single speed (as your commute to the station seems very short). Less stuff to vandalise.

Would you not consider commuting full distance to work? Are there facilities in your workplace for locking a bike?

I did cycle to work one day but it took about an hour and I couldn't walk afterwards! Legs kept buckling all day! Between playing football and the gym, my legs are not quite able for that every day.

listermint wrote: »
    Bike sounds like a write off unless it's worth alot. Without pictures hard to tell.

Sorry to hear you had to suffer. Only advice I can give is to never Park bike at a luas stop. No use to you now I know but they are just not safe for that sort of property. Too many absolute scrotes with Time on their hands at them

No it's not worth a lot, but it's my only bike and my only way to the DART or LUAS without having to walk for 30 - 40 minutes.

It looks like this now: (can it be fixed at a bike shop?)

20150204_212920.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This was my first day using the LUAS, can you just not leave bikes at LUAS stations?

Depends on the station to some extent. The problem with parking at a train or tram station is the same as parking at a cinema. You're effectively telling thieves or vandals that you'll be gone a while.

....It looks like this now...
    Did you lock the bike through that part?

(The reason I ask is that when a bike is locked with one U-lock, would-be theives sometimes use the bike as leverage to 'pop' the lock by twisting the frame of the bike against the lock. This may explain the damage to the seat stay.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Would locking a bike at Dundrum SC be an option? I regularly leave my bike locked there, not all day admittedly. The racks near Tesco tend to have a lot of passing foot traffic which should deter thieves. I would always use a good lock mind.

I did cycle to work one day but it took about an hour and I couldn't walk afterwards! Legs kept buckling all day!
    There's a ready made training plan:

Week 1 - cycle to Cherrywood
    Week 2 - cycle to Carrickmines
    Week 3 - cycle to Leopardstown
    Week 4 - cycle to Stillorgan

.....in no time you'll be cycling the full commute - no Luas fares, no traffic delays, keeping fit, no need for gym fees etc. :)

(PS - just guessing station names - not too familiar with Luas)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

I did cycle to work one day but it took about an hour and I couldn't walk afterwards! .

Don't know where you work but I cycle most days into Ballsbridge from Shankill (a bit further out than Cherrywood) on a singlespeed and it takes a little over 30 minutes. You would quickly get used to it and it would save you the fares and the worry about your bike!

Did you lock the bike through that part?

(The reason I ask is that when a bike is locked with one U-lock, would-be theives sometimes use the bike as leverage to 'pop' the lock by twisting the frame of the bike against the lock. This may explain the damage to the seat stay.)

Yes it was locked through the frame.

• Advertisement

There's a ready made training plan:

Week 1 - cycle to Cherrywood
    Week 2 - cycle to Carrickmines
    Week 3 - cycle to Leopardstown
    Week 4 - cycle to Stillorgan

.....in no time you'll be cycling the full commute - no Luas fares, no traffic delays, keeping fit, no need for gym fees etc. :)

(PS - just guessing station names - not too familiar with Luas)

Good idea, but I might cycle to the DART stops on the way instead of the LUAS as I would need 4 new bikes in four weeks.

Good plan! Thanks for that. All I need now is the bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

You could get one of those fold up bikes and bring it with you on the Luas? The use it in town too.

Worth considering anyway.

seamusk84 wrote: »
    You could get one of those fold up bikes and bring it with you on the Luas? The use it in town too.

Worth considering anyway.

Can you bring them on the LUAS? There was a sign on the LUAS today saying no bikes allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

I hate skangers. Their mindless energies suck the air of decent peoples lives and walk away with impunity. They are viruses, assaulting their host before being shunted to the next vulnerable opportunity. I am so sorry for your experience. Best of luck, adapt and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Oyva bigwan

Had my bike stolen from a North dublin train station back in June ,reported it,sent Garda pictures and everything,few months later I was back at the same station, low and behold, there's my bike locked up, called the Garda told them the story, I was getting on the train so couldn't wait around but told them they had photos of it, they say u must wait their so u can identify it, told the Garda I was not missing my last train home so they say we will go and have a look, an hour later I get the call, we are here at the station and their are no bikes here, that's a speedy response for ya, Needless to say I was sick as a dog, didn't care about the bike just wanted to see the prick that took it being done

Can you bring them on the LUAS? There was a sign on the LUAS today saying no bikes allowed.
    You can bring folding bikes onto any public transport I'm aware of, at least compact folders, such as Bromptons or Dahons. You might be asked to "cover" it occasionally. A outsize bin bag does the trick. I keep one in my Brompton pannier anyway, as it's best to hide a folding bike bringing it on a bus. You get occasional drivers who decide that you're not allowed bring folders on, though you officially are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You can bring folding bikes onto any public transport I'm aware of, at least compact folders, such as Bromptons or Dahons. You might be asked to "cover" it occasionally. A outsize bin bag does the trick. I keep one in my Brompton pannier anyway, as it's best to hide a folding bike bringing it on a bus. You get occasional drivers who decide that you're not allowed bring folders on, though you officially are.

I think that's kind of the point of folding bikes-they fold up so they can be taken on public transport, stashed under office desks etc. Bringing a cover is a good idea, not that you would have to use it much, but handy to have in case there happens to be an inspector or over-zealous security guard on the train/bus. The folding option also means you don't need to worry about your bike being nicked since it's basically with you all the time. I used to use my folder to commute to UCD for this very reason. Folding bikes are probably not so good for longer commutes since they generally don't handle that well compared to a 'normal' bike, but for short spins (maybe 30-40 mins) they are grand. Come to think of it, since I no longer use my folding bike very much, maybe the OP would be interested? Needs a fair bit of restorative work...(should I put this bit on the adverts section??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Yes I reported it to the Guards. It was right up beside the LUAS lines so hopefully it should be on the CCTV.

Sorry to hear about this. There are some skangers out there that have no respect for anyone or anything. They probably think you wronged them by locking the bike and stopping them from stealing it. Don't count on CCTV. In this country it seems to always be strangely "not working" on the day that a crime was committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

+ put it in a bag. Then its just a bag. Of course how you're dressed might give it away. As you say it just avoids the hassle. On the train its no problem. See a lot of them on the train.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Cherrywood into town is mostly downhill so if you got a fold up bike you could cycle in and get the Luas home

I have to say that I don't find my Brompton very markedly worse than my tourer to do moderate cycles. It's somewhat worse, but it's not exhausting or frustrating. I have done well over an hour's cycling on the Brompton anyway, and felt fine after. I've done somewhere around 50km in a day on it too, and felt grand after. I'm probably reasonably fit though, as I'm quite active every day.

Bromptons are a pricey though, compared to Dahons, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I feel sorry for you.
    All the bikes at all the Luas stops are in that condition.
    I never thought that it'd happen in just a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Had my bike stolen from a North dublin train station back in June ,reported it,sent Garda pictures and everything,few months later I was back at the same station, low and behold, there's my bike locked up, called the Garda told them the story, I was getting on the train so couldn't wait around but told them they had photos of it, they say u must wait their so u can identify it, told the Garda I was not missing my last train home so they say we will go and have a look, an hour later I get the call, we are here at the station and their are no bikes here, that's a speedy response for ya, Needless to say I was sick as a dog, didn't care about the bike just wanted to see the prick that took it being done

Probably not left there by the thief, just the person who bought it from him. There is a good chance that it will be there again, so you MIGHT get some revenge.
    Of course, if you weren't interested enough to wait for the Gardaí, they didn't feel too interested either....
    If its parked there regularly, and you can prove its your old bike, bring bolt cutters.

touts wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about this. There are some skangers out there that have no respect for anyone or anything. They probably think you wronged them by locking the bike and stopping them from stealing it. Don't count on CCTV. In this country it seems to always be strangely "not working" on the day that a crime was committed.

Yes that is what I am fearfully expecting. The Guards were very helpful though in fairness to them. Which is much mroe than I can say for LUAS "customer care" - appallingly unhelpful, they really annoyed me, zero care in their "customer care".

Anyway, hopefully the guards will come up with something, I know the odds are slim but the Guards were very good about it. Otherwise I'll have to lock another bike at the LUAS and hide there with a few friends and baseball bats, it shouldn't take long. Maybe LUAS will not take security seriously until more serious incidents occur at their stations.

• Advertisement

I have to say that I don't find my Brompton very markedly worse than my tourer to do moderate cycles. It's somewhat worse, but it's not exhausting or frustrating. I have done well over an hour's cycling on the Brompton anyway, and felt fine after. I've done somewhere around 50km in a day on it too, and felt grand after. I'm probably reasonably fit though, as I'm quite active every day.

Bromptons are a pricey though, compared to Dahons, for example.

Yes I looked at foldup bikes but they seem to cost over €1,000 which is too high for now. I found a bike on donedeal for €50 so hopefully it will be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Raleigh Twenty? :D
    How many carbon framed wonders from 2015 will be going strong at forty years of age!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RaleighTwenty/?fref=nf

muggles wrote: »

Oh my goodness, that is so bad it is funny. I think I need to find some more like-minded people who are willing to be a bit more proactive about bike thefts in Dublin, still checking out the GPS side of things - amazed the Guards or some TV show have not done this yet, or have they? Found one so far, early days but promising. It's good to have a new project that I can pour creative energy into.

muggles wrote: »
    The most disturbing part about that article is the headline. The writer obviously doesn't know the difference between 'robbed' and 'stolen'.

• Advertisement

Yes I looked at foldup bikes but they seem to cost over €1,000 which is too high for now. I found a bike on donedeal for €50 so hopefully it will be ok.
    Have a look for bike hoops (Sheffield stands) *near* the Luas stop. I think you're less likely to get the bike vandalised if you park a little bit further away. That's what I do when I'm getting the train. As I said, by parking *at* the station, you're saying that you'll be gone a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

The most disturbing part about that article is the headline. The writer obviously doesn't know the difference between 'robbed' and 'stolen'.

I didn't either .... but I've enlightened myself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Tempersteel

Hmm looks like aluminium to me, can you check online for a manufactures description as to what material the frame is made of, or give me the make and model and ill find out, im a welder, big difference between welding steel and aluminium is why i ask

Advertisement