Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food contamination

Options
  • 04-02-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I discovered a foreign object in a jar of single-ingredient peanut butter. It appeared to be bone with hair attached - worse still it was halfway down and the third jar I'd consumed from this particular manufacturer.

I took digital photographs and sent them to the manufacturer by email. I also contacted the environmental health dept of Belfast City Council ( City of purchase), where an EHO was allocated. In the meantime the manufacturer asked for the object and the jar contents to be forwarded to them which I duly did. The EHO liaised with the manufacturer andvisited the retailer.

After several weeks the EHO has confirmed that the laboratory tests -carried out by a lab appointed by the manufacturer- show the foreign object is part of a mouse! The EHO is going to ascertain if there's an immediate risk to the public then investigate my case.

The manufacturer has not been in direct contact to confirm their findings.

As a lifetime avid peanut butter fan I'm most disconcerted by this news and wondering if it has damaged my health.

I'd like some opinions on how I might handle this situation.

Note to moderators: If there's a more apt forum, please do transfer the thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We cannot give medical advice here or offer legal advice. Your best advice is to approach the relevant professionals and seek their opinions.

please note - no legal or medical advice to be offered

OP - as a consumer, your contract is with the retailer of the peanut butter. Did you contact theM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Any word back on this? IME the jar will "get lost" and they won't contact you again unless you go legal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Any word back on this? IME the jar will "get lost" and they won't contact you again unless you go legal
    It's clear enough from the OP that the jar did not get "lost".

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Scruffy...The Janitor

I would have thought the only way you'd be entitled to anything more than a refund is if it has had any adverse effects on your health. So if you're genuinely concerned then make a doctors appointment.
    That said you'd think they'd offer you something from a customer loyalty and satisfaction point of view.

Advertisement