Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Maths

• 04-02-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

seems this forum is geared mostly for higher level and fairly smart students. figured id make this thread for anyone doing foundation level maths.

could anyone give me some study tips? ive gone bak to do my leaving cert in a course. finding it difficult to get into the groove of studying or even how to. i figure that im capable of doing well in this subject but i really want to get a B.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Choose your questions carefully and try to finish as many of them in full as you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

spurious wrote: »
    Choose your questions carefully and try to finish as many of them in full as you can.

yeah my teacher said to write every step down. so i get some marks when the examiner sees i had the right idea. 0 marks for just a wrong answer!

would it be a good idea to type all of the different questions into youtube to see different ways of explaining them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

MarkY91 wrote: »
    yeah my teacher said to write every step down. so i get some marks when the examiner sees i had the right idea. 0 marks for just a wrong answer!

would it be a good idea to type all of the different questions into youtube to see different ways of explaining them?

You could try that. Once you understand what they are asking, it's much easier answer. Have a look at past papers and see what types of questions come up every year.

Your teacher is right about showing every step. Even if you get the wrong answer in the end, you will get marks for having the right approach or method.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

Maybe pair up and study with somebody. Or in a group. Chances are if you don't know it they will and vice versa.

ftse100 wrote: »
    Maybe pair up and study with somebody. Or in a group. Chances are if you don't know it they will and vice versa.

This is a great idea. Teaching someone else to do something is a great way to consolidate your own knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Forum isn't deliberately geared to any level, Mark, it's for everyone doing LC ... just depends on who gets involved / posts etc., but you're right in that it often means that FL and even OL are often under-represented.

Welcome along, good to see someone taking a bit of initiative! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Best way to study Maths is doing as many exam paper questions available in each topic. If you've done all the ones available in your papers, ask your teacher for past mocks exams and sample papers. Maths is just practice, once you know how to approach something, you can virtually always do that question.

Write down every step, even if you get the incorrect answer, if your method was correct you will pick up the majority of the marks.

Khanacademy is brilliant for Maths!

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. I'll be sure to visit back and take all the advice tomorrow when I study!!

im at a loss with doing a foundation exam paper. its the algebra thats confusing me. im on examinations.ie and have the answer page and have no idea how they even did it. anywhere i can go to actually see the process?

2014 foundation Q6 (c) << bewildered :(

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Forum isn't deliberately geared to any level, Mark, it's for everyone doing LC ... just depends on who gets involved / posts etc., but you're right in that it often means that FL and even OL are often under-represented.

Welcome along, good to see someone taking a bit of initiative! ;)

I feel like the people who come on here are the people who can't let go and are just constantly thinking about the leaving cert all the time and want to talk about it. (probably why everyone is so geared towards medicine and really high points)

The people who do FL and OL probably want to forget about the subject until school the next day :p.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    im at a loss with doing a foundation exam paper. its the algebra thats confusing me. im on examinations.ie and have the answer page and have no idea how they even did it. anywhere i can go to actually see the process?

2014 foundation Q6 (c) << bewildered :(

This link might help understanding factorising in general..
    http://www.purplemath.com/modules/factquad.htm

You can use the quadratic formula to solve it. Does it ring a bell for you? Do you remember doing it in class?
    quadratic-formula.jpg

thanks, ill have a look in a while. itd be so hand if i knew what to search for when im stuck on a certain question like other subjects. you seem to be a great help around these forus spurious :D !

MarkY91 - that was a mistake link I put up. Check the link in the post I edited.

This link might help understanding factorising in general..
    http://www.purplemath.com/modules/factquad.htm

You can use the quadratic formula to solve it. Does it ring a bell for you? Do you remember doing it in class?
    quadratic-formula.jpg

Hm it doesn't ring a bell. My teacher maybe chose to skip it for now. I must learn it myself just to be ahead

It's possible it's not on the foundation course, so your teacher might kill me now. That's why I asked did it ring any bells. No harm ask your teacher for ten minutes some afternoon or morning to go through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

It's possible it's not on the foundation course, so your teacher might kill me now. That's why I asked did it ring any bells. No harm ask your teacher for ten minutes some afternoon or morning to go through it.

I always thought when the roots aren't integers that the quadratic formula is needed.

Feel free to keep asking any questions you'r stuck on here btw, I like refreshing a bit of maths every now and then!

Advertisement