Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Carlingford Q?

Options
  • 04-02-2015 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I had a quick drive through Carlingford recently (son was buying a car so I was press ganged into driving him so didn't get to look around), the place looked fecking stunning so I'm wondering with the bright days now and the slightly longer evenings would it be worth my while taking either of my bikes up that way for a few hours.

Anyone familiar with the area?.. Would you recommend my roadbike and sticking to the roads or there's some lovely looking hills up there so I'm wondering about my hybrid with its cyclocross tyres for some trails.

Any recommends, routes or places to visit would be great appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Can't talk about trails etc but I'm from Carlingford and I like to get out on the Cooley mountains on the roadbike whenever i get home. There's a couple of tough hills around the Long Womans grave. Clermont TV mast (black mountain @ approx 510m) is a tough climb and it's a pass so can be approached from either side. The downside is that the roads aren't great at places so not great descending. There's lots of ways of approaching Clermont, via Newry and the Flagstaff, from Glenmore (Dundalk side) or from Omeath. Theres a maze of smaller hills around Omeath too.

Definitely enough climbing that justify a trip from Dublin. Views from the hills above Omeath are fantastic, especially from the Flagstaff and Clermont.

From Strava, doing 1200m in 50km exactly:
    https://www.strava.com/activities/130005417

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭cjonesy1

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but are there any other routes (road bike) heading out from Carlingford that boardsies would recommend?

I like the look of the above, but will hopefully get out for one or two more spins when I'm there.

thanks

Advertisement