Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Physics

• 04-02-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, I'm current in doing LC physics and struggling! My physics teacher isn't great at explaining things and assumes that once he says something once, we all understand it. He's a very smart man and knows his stuff I have no doubt about that, but his teaching methods are in my opinion outdated and boring, he doesn't get you excited about the subject unfortunately. So does anyone have good higher level physics notes they could give me via email or know any good websites that have them
    I appreciate anything you can give me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/ .This site is great has brilliant short study notes divided up into chapters with exam qyestions and experiments! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

thephysicsteacher.ie is great, but to be honest I've found just doing exam questions out again and again works really well, as the questions each year are fairly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Take out a refill pad.
    Pick out the questions that you won't to focus on eg everything but electrostatics and electromagnetism topics.
    Start with one topic, go through all previous exam questions on this and take note.
    Buy the mini booklet which contains all course content answers.
    Take out a good notebook, or use pages.
    Write notes that are included in the mini book, your notes from class, and answers to the questions from exam papers.
    Anything you don't understand, use your physics book or go online. I find it so helpful to learn off something when I understand it. Khanacademymedicine youtube has really good explanation of everything as well.
    So you're stocking up all demonstrations, maths problems, definitions with at least two points and the experiments for section A.
    Everything that has and will be asked all in one notebook :)
    This is what I'm doing, may seem like it will take for ages. And it probably will, but it's definitely worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Exam papers are the way to go. They can be very repetitive. Pick one area like Light and do the past exam papers for the past couple of years and then correct your answers with the marking schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I say it every time . Read the real world physics text book .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I say it every time . Read the real world physics text book .

God no. That book is terrible, both for information, and for questions. Not to mention it's horrifically outdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fablisa

Hi I'm a TY student and c recently confused in picking subjects. I had intentions of doing physics, maths applied maths and chemistry but my physics teacher has made matters worse..." you need to be an A student in maths to be able to do physics", his words. Am a good C in maths . I would appreciate any advise I can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

fablisa wrote: »
    Hi I'm a TY student and c recently confused in picking subjects. I had intentions of doing physics, maths applied maths and chemistry but my physics teacher has made matters worse..." you need to be an A student in maths to be able to do physics", his words. Am a good C in maths . I would appreciate any advise I can get.

He is lying. You need to be competent in Maths to do well but you can get an A/B grade with a C at JC HL Maths.

The Maths in Physics is LC OL standard, its more so the logic behind the questions that are seen as difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

He's got the subjects mixed around there! There will be no hard maths in physics, just plug the stuff into a formula and be able to manipulate a question at times.

Applied maths, however, may prove to be challenging at C level. If you're better at Paper 1 maths (JC is the same format as Lc), then you'll probably get away with it. But, if you find that you're stronger at stats and probability, I would suggest looking further into it. But, you can always change after a few weeks into the subject, it doesnt matter. What's good about physics and applied maths is that they complement each other. The mechanics section of physics is basically the applied maths course dumbed down. So, in ways, Applied maths will benefit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 eoc12

Thats not the case if you have a C in honours maths your grand for physics, but something that isn't mentioned offend is the amount of definitions and English actually in the subject, personal I hate English have always been more inclined to numbers so naturally I found sitting down learning off experiments hard and same with definitions , also make sure you have a good teacher or else you'll end up like me, failing almost every test because you dont understand a topic (not just me entire class) but if your willing to do the work physics is a good choice

• Advertisement
Advertisement