Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice place to give private lessons?

Options
  • 04-02-2015 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for somewhere like a library in the general area of Fairview/ North Strand for an hour-long class for an hour-long class twice a week. Could be a total long shot but I just thought it was worth a try! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Depends on what the lesson is. If it's drums, no idea. If it's something academic, sure there's a library in Fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Birneybau wrote: »
    Depends on what the lesson is. If it's drums, no idea. If it's something academic, sure there's a library in Fairview.

Sorry I should have said, it's Spanish lessons. The library in Fairview closes at 5 on most evenings, so it might suit for one of the classes at a push but not both. Are there any other similar facilities anywhere nearby? I've only recently moved here myself so still getting to know the local area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How about a quiet coffee shop?

January wrote: »
    How about a quiet coffee shop?

Thanks January- a coffee shop would probably work but I'm trying to make a few bob from the lessons without ripping her off so having to buy something at every class would eat into my profit margin a bit :-( I appreciate the suggestion tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭bren2001

tradhead wrote: »
    Thanks January- a coffee shop would probably work but I'm trying to make a few bob from the lessons without ripping her off so having to buy something at every class would eat into my profit margin a bit :-( I appreciate the suggestion tho!

Is there a reason you cannot give it to her in her house or yours? I give Math grinds in the students home all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

tradhead wrote: »

Not sure it's allowed to charge money for a lesson in a library. My mother is a librarian in another part of Ireland and it's strictly banned there. Any classes using the facilities are voluntary groups or organised by the council.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Is there a reason you cannot give it to her in her house or yours? I give Math grinds in the students home all the time.

We're both in shared acommodation. She lives with about seven people(!) and I've only just moved into a place with two girls that like their downtime after work (which I completely understand). There's one evening a week that would suit in my house as both girls are out but its a good bit later than I was hoping to do the lessons...but if I don't come up with anything else it'll have to do! :-)

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not sure it's allowed to charge money for a lesson in a library. My mother is a librarian in another part of Ireland and it's strictly banned there. Any classes using the facilities are voluntary groups or organised by the council.

That's an excellent point and one I hadnt even considered :-( I'll enquire anyway, but thanks for the heads-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Try a hotel lobby either
    Usually pretty quiet spots

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

East end of Hamilton building in Trinity is used by people giving Grinds in evenings all the time, not much facilities wise basically a big corridor, but quiet enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You could try some community centres or the like. They often have small offices or spaces to rent by the hour for as little as €10/hr.

Have a look at these and get in touch on the chance they have some ideas or pointers for you.
    http://www.marino.ie/contacts
    http://www.fairview-marino.com/cymclc

Advertisement