Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone around Booterstown?

Options
  • 04-02-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently expecting and due in June. Bought in Booterstown last year but not from here so don't know anyone. Would love to know if there are any other mums to be or new mums in the area. Was going to set up a Facebook group but need at least one other member!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

hi PinkChick - first and foremost of all congratulations.

There is actively a reasonable network of places locally to Booterstown for mothers and babies. Starbucks in Blackrock hosts a mother and baby morning on Tuesday I think. Very easy to call in and ask them the details. There is a mother and baby group in Blackrock parish centre as well. Mount Merrion community centre has lots going on for mother and babies, and I know there are a few things going on around the Stilorgan area. This is before you start looking at classes such as Claphandies (started in Blackrock late last year) and Baby Massage in Mount Merrion.

If you are the outgoing type, you will have no issues filling you time come June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Thanks for the reply. That all sounds great. Will definitely follow up. I'm in Trimleston/woodbine/seafield area and know there are other people in same position and would love a way of finding them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I help run a baby and toddler group on Tuesday afternoons in Dun Laoghaire. Expectant mums are welcome too, if you're not at work at that time and it's not too far for you. You would be very welcome.

I'm due no 2 in June as well :) I knew nobody with a baby when I had my first but there really is so much on and I made a lot of good friends - mainly at my breastfeeding support group but at other mum and baby groups/classes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

PinkChick wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. That all sounds great. Will definitely follow up. I'm in Trimleston/woodbine/seafield area and know there are other people in same position and would love a way of finding them!

I live in the same area. The mum and baby meet in starbucks is actually nothing got to do with starbucks, it's just biggest place to meet. It's actually from the breastfeeding meeting in Blackrock clinic. If you plan to breastfeed you should pop along to it, used it on both of mine and it was great - not so much the phn but the other mums, still have a great group I meet weekly from it. When you have the baby the phn's will call and give you all the info.

As others have said there is plenty in the area, baby massage, signing and swimming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi OP, I'm near the mount merrion area. There's loads to do for parents and babies. Mount merrion has a drop in parent toddler group on Wednesdays and Thursday at 10.30. I've never been but have heard its nice. When baby is older there is a nice playground (deer park) which is lovely to play in. The park is also nice for a walk. We're there nearly everyday. There is panda play cafe in Ballsbridge which is great to sit down and chill out. Also lots of claphandies classes around Ballsbridge and dundrum for babies, wobblers and toddlers. They also do baby massage etc.

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    I help run a baby and toddler group on Tuesday afternoons in Dun Laoghaire. Expectant mums are welcome too, if you're not at work at that time and it's not too far for you. You would be very welcome.

I'm due no 2 in June as well :) I knew nobody with a baby when I had my first but there really is so much on and I made a lot of good friends - mainly at my breastfeeding support group but at other mum and baby groups/classes too.

Woshy could you please pm me the details of the toddler group you run? I have a 10month old and a just gone 2 year old :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi OP, I'm near the mount merrion area. There's loads to do for parents and babies. Mount merrion has a drop in parent toddler group on Wednesdays and Thursday at 10.30. I've never been but have heard its nice. When baby is older there is a nice playground (deer park) which is lovely to play in. The park is also nice for a walk. We're there nearly everyday. There is panda play cafe in Ballsbridge which is great to sit down and chill out. Also lots of claphandies classes around Ballsbridge and dundrum for babies, wobblers and toddlers. They also do baby massage etc.

Playgroup is Tuesday and Wednesday, we go on Tuesdays but apparently Wednesday is much quieter. It's really good and well supervised, Alex who runs it keeps an eye to make sure that some of the more robust toddlers don't take over! I've been to the one in Stillorgan and didnt like it at all, just didn't have a nice feel and toys were a little dated.

Alex also runs the baby massage course in mount merrion, I did it with my first and met some nice people, locals which were good.

Sandymount strand is also excellent for walks especially with a new born. If you know winnies cafe there is a mums group that meet there in Friday's apparently, but rumour has it its full so not taking new members 😄

That's teally good to know rentadayblues! It's the Toddler group in the church across the road from deer park right? Is the Tuesday session very busy? I might try it in the next couple weeks.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    That's teally good to know rentadayblues! It's the Toddler group in the church across the road from deer park right? Is the Tuesday session very busy? I might try it in the next couple weeks.

Yep that's the one! I find some weeks it's very quiet, and then there are weeks that you can't hear yourself think with the noise, so just like being at home on a larger scale!

I haven't been on a Wednesday yet, but may try it. My 11 month old is up cruising and trying to walk and I find she finds it too much, but that's because she's afraid of getting knocked. The 2 1/2 year old on the other hand absolutely loves it, she's not in creche so it gives her that interaction she needs. A firm favourite with both is the bubble and song time at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

The mum and baby meet in starbucks is actually nothing got to do with starbucks, it's just biggest place to meet. It's actually from the breastfeeding meeting in Blackrock clinic.

Apologies, I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully in the above post. But as a male who never participated in it, I am sure you will forgive me that slight slip up.
    Actually starbucks is like a creche 50% of the time anyway, as it is the only place that I know of in the Blackrock area that has enough space for multiple buggies. The coffee is so so, but you do actually get accustomed to it (eventually)...

There are a few play cafe's around - Panda in Ballsbridge, Fraggles in Rathfarnham, Meerkat in Monkstown, BuzzBees has moved to Greystones from Blackrock. But they are all activities for 18 odd months time

• Advertisement

Apologies, I should have chosen my words a bit more carefully in the above post. But as a male who never participated in it, I am sure you will forgive me that slight slip up.
    Actually starbucks is like a creche 50% of the time anyway, as it is the only place that I know of in the Blackrock area that has enough space for multiple buggies. The coffee is so so, but you do actually get accustomed to it (eventually)...

There are a few play cafe's around - Panda in Ballsbridge, Fraggles in Rathfarnham, Meerkat in Monkstown, BuzzBees has moved to Greystones from Blackrock. But they are all activities for 18 odd months time

Wasn't having a go at you, just letting the OP know. And yes, coffee is starbucks is awful, but it's great for kids. They do a colouring morning every second Saturday where they will take the kids for an hour!

Wow thanks for all the replies! I live literally a 30 seconds from Winnies. Can't find anything anywhere about a group there. Is it just word of mouth? I will definitely give Mount Merrion and Starbucks a try. Where is the breastfeeding group and where would I get info on that?

Wow thanks for all the replies! I live literally a 30 seconds from Winnies. Can't find anything anywhere about a group there. Is it just word of mouth? I will definitely give Mount Merrion and Starbucks a try. Where is the breastfeeding group and where would I get info on that?

The breastfeeding group is in the hse health centre in Blackrock, Tuesday's at 10:30. It's a drop in thing, you can get baby weighed, ask any questions you might have and get to meet other new mums, I found it invaluable on my first but I think that had to do with the amazing group of people I met - never thought I could spend 5 hours in starbucks talking about babies but it so helped during those winter months, my first was born in July. On my second the group didn't click but I still went and did coffee afterwards. What I found is we met in clinic for about 3-4 weeks then instead just met in starbucks once we got to know each other. On my second, there was a pregnant lady at one of the groups, which is a great idea. She got to ask questions and got to see feeding, neither of which I had before I started.

The group in winnies seems to be a local group, I don't know any of them, but did hear a comment from a local dad that they weren't accepting new members?!?!? Not sure it's an actual group rather than a set of friends.

The breastfeeding group is in the hse health centre in Blackrock, Tuesday's at 10:30. It's a drop in thing, you can get baby weighed, ask any questions you might have and get to meet other new mums, I found it invaluable on my first but I think that had to do with the amazing group of people I met - never thought I could spend 5 hours in starbucks talking about babies but it so helped during those winter months, my first was born in July. On my second the group didn't click but I still went and did coffee afterwards. What I found is we met in clinic for about 3-4 weeks then instead just met in starbucks once we got to know each other. On my second, there was a pregnant lady at one of the groups, which is a great idea. She got to ask questions and got to see feeding, neither of which I had before I started.

The group in winnies seems to be a local group, I don't know any of them, but did hear a comment from a local dad that they weren't accepting new members?!?!? Not sure it's an actual group rather than a set of friends.

Will have to start stalking Winnie's on Fridays :-) As we are newish (a year tomorrow!!) to the area and are both working full time we only really know our immediate neighbours, other than saying hello to a few people when we were doing the front garden! It's an area that's changing hands at the minute and lots of newbies in over last few years but so hard to know how to meet people! Hopefully baby will help!

Will have to start stalking Winnie's on Fridays :-) As we are newish (a year tomorrow!!) to the area and are both working full time we only really know our immediate neighbours, other than saying hello to a few people when we were doing the front garden! It's an area that's changing hands at the minute and lots of newbies in over last few years but so hard to know how to meet people! Hopefully baby will help!

I just has that exact conversation with my husband! I'm hoping to stay home and although I met a lot of people from Blackrock I really don't know many here at all, I suppose it's what comes from living on a road rather than an estate. Having said that I love the area and winnies is great for those lazy brekkies mid week when you're off on maternity leave :)

I just has that exact conversation with my husband! I'm hoping to stay home and although I met a lot of people from Blackrock I really don't know many here at all, I suppose it's what comes from living on a road rather than an estate. Having said that I love the area and winnies is great for those lazy brekkies mid week when you're off on maternity leave :)

Lol we could be neighbours ;-) Really appreciate all the tips. Looking forward to trying them all out.

Lol we could be neighbours ;-) Really appreciate all the tips. Looking forward to trying them all out.

I think we probably are! Best of luck with the pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I am living in Stillorgan and due my baby in 5 weeks. I was just reading through this thread and there seems to be a few groups in the Stillorgan/Mount Merrion area. If someone could let me know more details that would be great. I would definately like to get involved with a Mother and Baby group after she is born. Thank you :-)

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I am living in Stillorgan and due my baby in 5 weeks. I was just reading through this thread and there seems to be a few groups in the Stillorgan/Mount Merrion area. If someone could let me know more details that would be great. I would definately like to get involved with a Mother and Baby group after she is born. Thank you :-)

There really is lots in the area.

As mentioned there are baby and toddler playgroups in mount merrion parish centre and st Lawrence's parish centre every tueday and Wednesday during term time.

Alex who runs the mount merrion one also do baby massage: it's called dimples

There's lots of stuff in blackrock too: baby massage, baby signing and the new library has a baby/toddler group on Wednesday. There's also lots of music classes in the area, we've done blue birdies in Blackrock. Swimming is great too, we've done baby swimming since 3 months with baby splash in the Mespil pool, they also do one in dun laoighre now too.

And come the summer the best amenity is deer park, the playground is great and the park for walks

Advertisement