Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt Marathon Oct 25th 2015

Options
  • 04-02-2015 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

A posse of us from the club heading over to do this one. Seems to have a good reputation. Flat, fast, well organised etc. Would love to hear from anyone who's done it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Just signed up this evening. Will have to get lessons in translating Corkonian from RC after looking at the entrants list.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ger664 wrote: »
    Just signed up this evening. Will have to get lessons in translating Corkonian from RC after looking at the entrants list.
    It's probably easier just to ignore all of the Cork people. German is probably closer to English anyway. :D

Aer Lingus seem to have dropped prices on flights that weekend. €97 return from Dublin, if you're willing to come back at 8pm on Monday (or €145, to return at 11am on Monday). Also €80 return from Kerry, via Ryanair (to Frankfurt Hahn).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

It's probably easier just to ignore all of the Cork people. German is probably closer to English anyway. :D

Aer Lingus seem to have dropped prices on flights that weekend. €97 return from Dublin, if you're willing to come back at 8pm on Monday (or €145, to return at 11am on Monday). Also €80 return from Kerry, via Ryanair (to Frankfurt Hahn).

Oi, I might pop up to the race and throw a few (empty) Tanora bottles at ya!

Usual warning on distance from Hahn to the city itself but I guess most people know that by now. Those prices are fairly good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Itziger wrote: »
    Oi, I might pop up to the race and throw a few (empty) Tanora bottles at ya!

Usual warning on distance from Hahn to the city itself but I guess most people know that by now. Those prices are fairly good alright.

Great prices! I booked months ago with Lufthansa who were the cheapest at the time. Great value on Expedia now for the full package. 3 nights accommodation from Friday and flights for less than €250! Was on to the organisers a couple of weeks ago about something and they were very good to deal with. They told me that there were 51 Irish entrants last year. Wonder how many this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Bahanaman wrote: »
    They told me that there were 51 Irish entrants last year. Wonder how many this year?

39 so far according to their entrant database.

belcarra wrote: »
    39 so far according to their entrant database.
    We're up to 58 Irish registrations, with just 10 days left for online registrations. So who's in, from these parts?

Jebuz
    Krusty_Clown
    Emer911
    Bahanaman
    Ger664
    Asimonov

Belcarra? plumber77? demfad? Anyone else?

We're up to 58 Irish registrations, with just 10 days left for online registrations. So who's in, from these parts?

Jebuz
    Krusty_Clown
    Emer911
    Bahanaman
    Ger664
    Asimonov

More importantly...where's the craic after the race?! Never been to Frankfurt meself so looking to all you financial hard hitters for a good steer!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Jebuz
    Krusty_Clown
    Emer911
    Bahanaman
    Ger664
    Asimonov

Not me anyhow, holding off til Manchester in the spring. Haven't done one since Frankfurt '13 due to injury so easing back into it. Looking forward to seeing what ye think of it. Without doubt my fave marathon so far.

Heard Manchester is supposed to be great. Nice and flat.

• Advertisement

More importantly...where's the craic after the race?! Never been to Frankfurt meself so looking to all you financial hard hitters for a good steer!! :D

Krusty did a reccie last year. It's all sorted. The man's a pro, he even ran the race beforehand to add authenticity.

12 Apostles I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Jebuz
    Krusty_Clown
    Emer911
    Bahanaman
    Ger664
    Asimonov

I'll be in Berlin in a few hours for goal autumn race and will be running Dublin the day after Frankfurt so no go this year for me.

Best of luck everyone and ye all have to follow Krusty back to mcgrattans for the DCM drinks the following day!!

The 12 apostles was an amazing feed (with some top-notch beer). The only thing was that it was a very quiet area of town. After having been ejected from the restaurant, we struggled to find an open hostelry that would serve us some refreshing beverages (but did eventually locate an English pub).

Recommended plan of action:
    1) Couple of sneaky beers tucked into the gear-bags, for immediate post-race revival
    2) If it's a nice day, meet up in the central area beside the registration hall, for some outdoor post-race refreshment (there are a select number of outdoor hot-dog/beer vendors, that tend to draw large queues). Nearby supermarket can be used to supplement supplies (there's also a nearby MacDonalds, KFC, Chipotle and other fast food services).
    3) If the weather isn't quite so welcoming, head to the nearby Irish bar about 1km from the finish, for some post-race banter and crap beer.
    4) Quick shower, and out for a German feed in the 12 Apostles for 6pm'ish, or grab some slightly less German fare around the train-station?
    5) Pick a bar somewhere around the bar-district and finish up the night there?

for some post-race banter and crap beer.

So I be able to get Coors over there. Sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

KC that sounds like a plan. One less variable to deal with.

We are staying in the Adina - flying out Friday morning and back Monday morning, I think with aer lingus.

Haven't done a marathon since 2012, forgotten how consuming they get in the final few weeks.

ger664 wrote: »
    So I be able to get Coors over there. Sorted :)
    Run a sub-3, and I'll find you some Coors. Even if I have to travel back to the West of Ireland to find it!

I'll drink Coors meself if I manage the sub 3! It's the Corner Hotel for us which is only down the road from the start/finish. Still some great value to be got for flights and accommodation. Much cheaper than Dublin that weekend! We're flying with lufthansa Friday evening and Monday afternoon. Bigger Irish crowd than last year. I like the idea of a common meeting place. There's an Irish bar down the road called O'Reilly's but to be honest I'd prefer a German spot for a nice weissbier! Krusty seems to be the man to follow!

Staying in the Concorde Hotel, Friday morning Aerlingus from Dublin early back on Monday to make McGrattens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Sneaky post-race beers in the bag, Krusty you're a pro. Great to see there'll be a group of us heading over. I'm heading over with a clubmate and we'll be staying in the Citadines which is pretty close to the start. That plan of action sounds great!

Flying back to Kerry at 13:25 on Monday which allows me plenty of time to curl in a ball and shiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Recommended plan of action:
    1) Couple of sneaky beers tucked into the gear-bags, for immediate post-race revival

Good plan there! I remember how incredibly hard it was to get a beer post-race last year, not what you'd expect in Germany either.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Good plan there! I remember how incredibly hard it was to get a beer post-race last year, not what you'd expect in Germany either.
    It wasn't hard - we were just lazy. Plenty of beer in the supermarket in the nearby shopping mall. But it was sooooo far away....... :)

opus wrote: »

It was a bit of a pain, yeah. In Karlsruhe last week, after I exited the official runners zone - where I understand they won't serve beer - we asked in a tent what was for consumption............ Alkoholfrei only!! I had a bit of a laugh with the guys and did a faux, "This is unacceptable, I'm in Germany, I want real beer" rant. They took it in the spirit it was meant in, but it did mean we headed back to the hotel instead for a jar or two.

It wasn't hard - we were just lazy. Plenty of beer in the supermarket in the nearby shopping mall. But it was sooooo far away....... :)

Ah Krusty it was RELATIVELY difficult.

If you boys ever come to Lux to do the marathon you'll see how quick and easy it is to get beer. Get a jar of it before you exit the finishing hall area. Then outside there are a good few stalls with sausages and beer for sale again..... and it's evening/night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Far away & closed cause of it being a Sunday! I remember someone (DrQ?) going on a reconnaissance mission there.

I go to Germany enough these days to know that you have to stock up on Sat to avoid disappointment :)

Itziger wrote: »
    Ah Krusty it was RELATIVELY difficult.
    Yep, just remembered the supermarket was closed on Sunday. Best to stock up. Don't leave it to chance... :)

There are lots of small shops around the train station, but by the time you've gone up that far, you're surrounded by bars..

63 Irish entries. Some crowd from Mallow! Fair play. Just wondering if anyone is on the Lufthansa flight at 17:50 from Dublin on the Friday? Also suppose it's a bit early for weather talk??!!! :eek::P

It's never too early to start speculating about the weather!
    Flying out on Friday afternoon, but with Aer Lingus. Back early on Monday for post Dublin marathon pints.

It's never too early to start speculating about the weather!
    Flying out on Friday afternoon, but with Aer Lingus. Back early on Monday for post Dublin marathon pints.

Post Frankfurt pints is the reason I'm not coming back until Monday afternoon! So it's ok for some wild weather speculation then! Great! I suppose we could expect Dublin like conditions?

Post Frankfurt pints is the reason I'm not coming back until Monday afternoon! So it's ok for some wild weather speculation then! Great! I suppose we could expect Dublin like conditions?
    Well, last year, we had around 12'C, dry and clear with sunny spell, with no wind to speak of - in other words, perfect conditions. The year before (2013), they had strong winds (19km / hr), which affected performances. 2012 looked pretty good. 2011 was nice and cool, when Kipsang ran what was (at the time) the second fastest marathon time in the world. So I guess we've a pretty good chance of near-perfect conditions, with a small risk of poor conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Overweight, undertrained and not afraid of a massive fail. here goes...

Name|Current PB|Prediction|Corral|Beer
    asimonov|2:46:17|2:49:59|1st Asics| Ja

Advertisement