Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfurt Marathon Oct 25th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Name|Current PB|Prediction|Corral|Beer
    asimonov|2:46:17|2:49:59|1st Asics| Ja
    krusty_clown|2:35:03|2:32:50|1st Asics| much

Hmmm... If it had said 'target' I'd have said 2:31:30. But it says 'Prediction', so I have to say 2:32:30. If we get a perfect day, and I'm in perfect health, I may throw caution to the wind and give it a proper lash, but I'd be pretty happy with either of the above times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

How do I add to this table without messing it up?! I have form here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

here you go...

bahanaman|3:00:0X|2:54:59|1st Asics| carlow brewing co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Lost September to knee injury was hoping for sub 3:10. Will make a call next wednesday on target time if any. So krusty is off the hook on having to keep coors in his gear bag for post race celebrations.

ger664|3:18:12|?:??:??|1st Asics| does a duck swim ?

ger664 wrote: »
    Lost September to knee injury was hoping for sub 3:10. Will make a call next wednesday on target time if any. So krusty is off the hook on having to keep coors in his gear bag for post race celebrations.

bahanaman|3:02:19|2:54:59|1st Asics| carlow brewing co.

Seeing it in black and white like that frightens the bejaysus out of me!!! That's the A+ prediction by the way! Cheers Asimonov! Anything beginning with 2.. would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Seeing it in black and white like that frightens the bejaysus out of me!!! That's the A+ prediction by the way! Cheers Asimonov! Anything beginning with 2.. would be great!

You first sub 3.....
    Thanks to the short marathon in the sunny south east

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

jebuz|2:46:59|2:35:00|1st Asics|would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Wow, Jebuz, that's an impressive target there man. 12 minutes you're looking for. All the best with it, hope it goes well. Must admit I haven't followed your training but I'm guessing it's gone to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Hope you smash it up Bahanaman, I still feel the Waterford pain, and I wasn't even running it!

Impressive looking targets from ye all, hope you have a good one.

TbL

Hope you smash it up Bahanaman, I still feel the Waterford pain, and I wasn't even running it!

Impressive looking targets from ye all, hope you have a good one.

TbL

Cheers TbL! Asimonov being a bit mischievous putting that time down but sure it's there now. Wouldn't want to be accused of sandbagging!

• Advertisement

Weather update!: Accuweather says completely dry, 6 deg (feeling like 9 in the sunshine!), little wind. None of the other useless weather forecast sites seem to have anything further than a ten day forecast!!!:eek: WTF fellas!!!

Weather update!: Accuweather says completely dry, 6 deg (feeling like 9 in the sunshine!), little wind. None of the other useless weather forecast sites seem to have anything further than a ten day forecast!!!:eek: WTF fellas!!!

Was thinking of you folk on my last two runs. It's got well cold here all of a sudden. Went out for a Long run on Sunday, not crack of dawn or anything and had to go back for a long sleeve top after 1k. 'Twas about 3 degrees. Last night it was cold too. Had forgotten what running in the cold was like!

Looks like those arm warmers will come in handy ASIMONOV!

Hope everyone's final training is going well.... Some stuff:

The long-cut: When you see this gate at the 7.5km and 39km mark, don't bother going through it - take the shorter route (keep left). It's not an official chip-timing mat. It's a charity gate in aid of the refugee crisis, and running through it will in theory automatically deduct/donate €3 from your bank account. However, it doesn't seem to work for non-nationals (I ran through it twice last year (unknowlingly) and nothing was donated), so take the shorter route, and make a separate donation to the refugee crisis!

The time-change: If I'm not mistaken, clocks go back at 2am on Sunday morning, so it means you'll have an extra hour in bed. If in doubt about whether your alarm clock will auto adjust, bring an old school alarm clock that's not connected to the internet and set it back before you go to bed. Less worrying and you'll sleep better.

The start time: The race starts at 10am local time. That's 9am in Ireland. But the clocks will have gone back an hour by the time we start. So if you want to head out for your final medium long run this weekend at the same time as the race starts, wearing your race gear, having eaten your race nutrition (that's some dilligence!), then you should head out at 10am Irish time (I think. Time changes make my head go all fuzzy).

Rugby: Assuming Ireland get through the match against Argentina this Sunday (1pm), it means that we will be playing the winner of QF4 (either Scotland or Australia (for convenience, let's just say Australia!)), on marathon Sunday at 4pm (GMT), which is 3pm in Frankfurt. Handiest place to watch the game is probably (sadly) the O'Reilly's Irish bar, which is about 1,200m from the finish line. It will be absolutely wedged, and they don't take reservations on Rugby weekends. So for aprés race entertainment, can I suggest some post race beers as planned, maybe move towards the Irish bar to secure seats around 1:30pm-2pm? (unless someone has a nearby hotel room, a minibar, and some sweet internet bandwidth!).

Expo: Expo is pretty good, but not particularly cheap. If you can get there on Friday, it will be significantly quieter. Those masseurs? They aren't free. Remember to pick up your custom pace band from the Asics stand - there may be a queue.

Dinner: Italian restaurants are extremely busy on Saturday evening. Make a booking if you can. Our plan is to have a big lunch and eat in the apartment for the evening meal.

Transport: Best way to get from the airport to the city, is by train. It's not hard to figure out. It's a 25-30 minute trip, and costs around €4.55. Train network website: RMV. You're travelling from 'Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen' to 'Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof' for the main station. Typical trains are the S8/S9, in the direction of Offenbach/Hanau.

Pretzel run: Is a good way to spend Saturday morning. It's a very slow 5k around the start/finish area, followed by a free breakfast of pretzels and apple juice. If anyone has an Irish flag, they might bring it along, as it would be a good way to grab some of the boardsies who don't know other boardsies. Also handy for the post-race knacker drinking.

GPS reception: You can;t count on it in Frankfurt, because of the tall buildings. Make sure you have a pace band if you have a time-specific objective. Average pace and distance numbers on your GPS watch will not be accurate.

Starting corrals: It's a German marathon - Germans are efficient - corrals fill up early. If you have a specific place in mind to start from, better leave enough time, or you'll end up climbing over high fences, as we did (20 minutes before the race start).

Toilets: Queues at the Messe hall before the race are pretty massive. Go before you go!

Course: Largely very flat with some brief drags and small inclines. The start is very twisty, with some early cobbled roads. The end is the same as the start - very twisty, and again with the cobbled road - only this time, it hurts a lot more. The stretches in between aver largely long straight roads. Check out the course video, if you haven't already.

Finish: go visit the finish line on the Friday or Saturday. It's worth taking a peek and getting your photo taken, as you probably won't remember too much or get to experience it too greatly on race day.

On-course drinks: If you are a sub 2:45 runner (male), or sub 3:00 (female), you can drop in drinks, that will be taken to particular points on the course. These have to be dropped in by 8am. Make them unique, so you can spot them in a hurry. Don't count on them being there - have fall-back options! The drinks location is in the Basement of Hall 1 (it's very hard to find!). Make sure you label your bottle with your race number, and the drink station you want it to be positioned at. There will be a few tables for each of the drinks stations. Place it in the right box (e.g. Table 2, @30km). Bring sticky labels and a pen!

Nutrition stations: the order of items at nutrition stations is as follows:
    Clock -> medical aid -> own nutrition -> water -> Isofit Orange -> tea -> water tank to dunk in your sponge ->bins.
    All you have to really remember, is that water comes first, then sports drink, then tea.

Gels: Are liquids and need to be placed in your liquids bag at the airport. They are within the permissible size.

That's all I got for the moment.

Is that all?! Jesus how are we supposed to manage on such a paltry amount of information!! ....Great stuff krusty! I'll have my splits scrawled all over my arms as well as the pace band. The dodgy GPS has me worried. Unfortunately I'm a slave to the Garmin unlike asinonov who can casually cast his aside the morning of the race!! Count me in for the pretzel run. Probably won't have a tricolour but will be wearing a fluorescent yellow cap. It'd be good to meet a few other Irish/boardsies to formulate plans for the post marathon session.

Re the rugby: I wonder would it be an idea to find an English bar to watch the game? The game will probably be showing but the venue not as full for obvious reasons.

There's an English bar pretty close by (The Fox and Hound) that shows the Rugby also.

Just googled english bars and seen that. Be right craic if it was taken over by paddies for the day!

Thanks for the info KC - very useful. I am going to hit the expo on friday to get it out of the way. Can everyone do the run on the saturday or do you need to enter that separately. Can we save the where to watch the rugby discussion till after the weekend? Bahanaman you're not allowed use exclamation marks again till next wednesday.

What?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    Can everyone do the run on the saturday or do you need to enter that separately
    Yep. You just rock on up and....jog.... Here's the route from last year (note the pace!).

• Advertisement

How's your target time coming along?

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    How's your target time coming along?

Still on the fence. 3:15 is what I would like to think I am capable off but health and work related issues are currently not helping atm.
    I probably will do a tullamore on it and convince myself that I can get it and hopefully not blow this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck at the weekend everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Still on the fence. 3:15 is what I would like to think I am capable off but health and work related issues are currently not helping atm.
    I probably will do a tullamore on it and convince myself that I can get it and hopefully not blow this time.

Good luck on Sunday Ger.

P.s. I thought you weren't racing any more marathons after Seville last year...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone for Sun, hard to believe it's already been a year since I was there myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Quicker to post here rather than go round the logs! Good luck to you all, may the wind be at your backs.

opus wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone for Sun, hard to believe it's already been a year since I was there myself!

Amen brother. One year already. Frankfurt is on my 'Gotta do that bastard of a race' again list. Up there with Rotterdam. Maybe them flat fellas just ain't my thing.

Fingers crossed for the 'hills' of New York then. 'Cos something tells me I won't be doing that too many times.

Best of luck to all on Sunday. Enjoy the race, or hit your target, or both. Enjoy the German beer and protein afterwards.

Have a great race, fellow athletes! Hopefully see you afterwards, at the picnic benches near the red Currywurst van by the entrance to the Festhalle/finish line.

• Advertisement

Folks, the only person I know by name here is Krusty, and Mrs Krusty of course!

Anyone care to pm me Asiminov and Banananman's bib numbers? I'm deep in taper land and did 17k yesterday anyway so today's canter will probably only be 45 minutes.

A bit of tracking would be nice to get me up to lunch time.

Advertisement