Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Tourist Visa

Options
  • 04-02-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has had luck in obtaining a tourist visa after previous refusal on entry.

I did travel to the US a sometime back on a J1 after which applied for H1B visa which was not granted at the time, I did attempt to travel back to states via Canada to collect my belongings but was denied entry.

That was over 8 years ago and was hoping to visit on a holiday with the wife, anyone gone through the process after refusal or would it be a waste of time.

Thanks
    Col

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Why were you refused entry? Did you over stay your J1 visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why were you refused entry? Did you over stay your J1 visa?

I was denied because of the recent denial of the H1, which was denied because of not demonstrating sufficient ties.

Did not overstay the J1

Cheers
    Col

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

You shouldn't have a problem if it was 8 years ago. As you probably know though, you wouldn't be eligible for the visa waiver scheme. Just make sure when applying for the visa that you have clear ties to Ireland and have good reason to return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'd say you'll be fine. You were refused a visa as you did not meet the criteria for it at the time. You didn't do anything wrong, so you should be ok to go back for a hollier. The ESTA application asks if you have ever been denied entry/a visa previously. As you have, the ESTA will probably not be an option for you, so you'll have to apply for an actual visa. As its been over 8 years, you are not a student anymore and you presumably do have verifiable ties to Ireland now, I'd be surprised if it were denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'd say you'll be fine. You were refused a visa as you did not meet the criteria for it at the time. You didn't do anything wrong, so you should be ok to go back for a hollier. The ESTA application asks if you have ever been denied entry/a visa previously. As you have, the ESTA will probably not be an option for you, so you'll have to apply for an actual visa. As its been over 8 years, you are not a student anymore and you presumably do have verifiable ties to Ireland now, I'd be surprised if it were denied.

They can't do ESTA though, you cant apply for visa waiver if you have ever been refused entry. OP would have to apply for a 90 day visit visa

Edit: Ignore me I misread your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I was denied because of the recent denial of the H1, which was denied because of not demonstrating sufficient ties.

Isn't a H visa a dual intent? One would imagine that you wouldn't need many ties, for a visa that can be extended for up to 10 years.

Advertisement