Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gadgets and tools

• 05-02-2015 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭

After a bit of difficulty in getting a standard jack under my car, I now have a trolley jack to roll underneath when a tyre needs changing:

332244?$pm_large$

Any other useful gadgets or tools bought or on the wishlist recently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

i recently got a leatherman super tool 300 for when I don't have a toolbox handy and a Led lenser H7 for hands free to do stuff.

LE-831105.jpg

Lenser-H7-1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Very handy bit of kit the trolley jack. Much safer and quicker than most factory car jacks.
    One tip if you cut a section of 3/4 ply or any timber just wider than the trolley jack and 6 inches longer use it then under the jack.
    Reason for this is as you jack the jack it wheels itself inwards and on bad ground i.e grass margin, chips etc the jack will only dig in and may start to lift on rear wheels.
    It always seem to be on a wet night and stuck on a grass verge to change a puncture so having that piece of timber will give the jack a nice surface to wheel on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The voice of experience! :pac:

The trolley jack is certainly easier to use but hadn't realised that it was safer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

The voice of experience! :pac:

The trolley jack is certainly easier to use but hadn't realised that it was safer.

I have learned the hard way, again using factory jacks on bad ground can be very dangerous, Even using some factory jacks on tarmac are precarious to say the least.
    You should buy a breaker bar with a little extension and the right size socket for your wheel nuts to complete the wheel changing equipment.
    An army surplus store do good quality affordable ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Bought this recently.

W35_PD_Sunday_New_UL8b_124cad698e.jpg

Was worried that I'd end up dropping a bolt or nut into the car engine, so bought it just in case.
    It's worth it's weight in gold when you can see the problem, without having to take stuff completely apart first.

Totally agree on having a good car jack and a decent breaker bar.
    What they give you in modern cars are useless/dangerous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement