Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional maternity leave

Options
  • 05-02-2015 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi
    I am currently on maternity leave and was thinking of taking additional leave. I know I am entitled to 16 weeks, however I wish only to take maybe 6-7 weeks as we could not afford for me to me off any longer.
    Is it possible for me to take less than the 16 weeks.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

CeciG 33 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am currently on maternity leave and was thinking of taking additional leave. I know I am entitled to 16 weeks, however I wish only to take maybe 6-7 weeks as we could not afford for me to me off any longer.
    Is it possible for me to take less than the 16 weeks.
    Thanks
    Yes, you can take any portion of it. I took 4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Just be sure and let your employer know in good time. And remember that you are still accruing annual leave in this unpaid period.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I took 6 weeks of it and then went back to school part time for a few weeks using up my holidays and bank holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CeciG 33

Thanks for all your help. Can work refuse to give me the time I want and make me take the full 16 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

No your employer is obliged to facilitate you in this, so don't worry about that. Its just courtesy to let him know as quickly as possible when you intend to return. The best way to do this is in writing. Its also an opportunity for you to request holidays, if you intend to take holidays immediately after your unpaid maternity leave ends.
    Remember, your employer doesn't have to facilitate you about the holidays but most do. If your employer refuses to allow the holidays ask him when you might be able to take them.

• Advertisement

Thanks haveringchick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Your employer is obligated to facilitate unpaid maternity leave and it is at your discretion how much you would like to take. Your employer is also obliged to facilitate Parental leave, however, with parental leave it is at your employers discretion when and how the parental leave is taken.

Thanks sligo1

Thanks sligo1

Advertisement