Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a foreign divorce worthwhile?

• 05-02-2015 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I am hoping someone here might have first hand experience of what I'm considering. I was married in Ireland (to another Irish citizen), we separated in Feb 2013 and have been separated since. I have since moved to a different country and have a new fiance (also Irish). I understand we cannot begin divorce proceedings in Ireland until Feb 2017. However, I have discovered I can apply for divorce in my new country of residence once I have been resident here for 1 year (which will be shortly). It is also a much easier process than in Ireland, no court appearance and minimal fees. My ex has no issue with me applying for this and is happy to sign the papers - we are amicable and remain friends but no chance of reconciliation.

My questions are -

1. I understand that the foreign divorce will not be recognised in Ireland unless I have actually changed domicile which I haven't. My ultimate intention is to someday return to Ireland. However, since the divorce will be recognised here, am I correct in thinking that I could get married in this country? Or in another country which recognises the divorce?

2. If I moved back to Ireland with my new husband in say, 2017, would it be a question of then simply applying for an Irish divorce at that point and subsequently getting married in the registry office to rubber stamp it? I understand my new marriage would not be recognised in Ireland but are there any actual legal or criminal ramifications (I'm thinking of bigamy etc)?

It's an unusual situation and I appreciate many people might just say, just wait until 2017, get the Irish divorce and remarry then but there are other personal reasons at stake and I'd just like to know whether it's even possible to get the foreign divorce and marry here this summer without any legal ramifications in Ireland? There are no properties or kids with ex so no issues over assets or anything like that.

Thanks to all who read this far!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Sorry OP we can't give legal advice here and that is really what you need on your issue.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement