Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh Cheoil 2015

Options
  • 05-02-2015 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all, General chat on the fleadh, anyone working it? volunteering? think there will be much difference from last year etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

SO7378 wrote: »
    Hi all, General chat on the fleadh, anyone working it? volunteering? think there will be much difference from last year etc?

I say there would be more stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Vlove wrote:
    I say there would be more stalls.

you think so? apparently its meant to be here the following year also, if there were more stalls and stuff id say itd be better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I done some volunteering last year and it was well organised so hopefully it'll be the same way for 2015. I don't know about extra stalls, a lot of the food people that ran them weren't happy as they didn't get the footfall they were expecting especially those stationed on The Mall or Stephen Street. The food stalls in the Car Park and on O'Connell Street were minted but for example even though Shoots and around it was always thronged, Mac Laughlins and a food stall outside it was empty most of the time (I ran up to Macs a couple of times as I couldn't get to bar in Shoots).

I'd love it if they didn't grant a licence to those guys with the plastic gimmicky toys and cowboys hats, they were everywhere. Anyhoo here's to 2015. If Sligo shop keep closing at the rate they are there'll be plenty of places for pop up bars and cafes but as far as the music is concerned, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Agree there should be a ban put on those selling those crap toys they leave a cheap tacky look about the town.there is no need for that crap to be sold

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭SO7378

Plazaman wrote:
    I done some volunteering last year and it was well organised so hopefully it'll be the same way for 2015. I don't know about extra stalls, a lot of the food people that ran them weren't happy as they didn't get the footfall they were expecting especially those stationed on The Mall or Stephen Street. The food stalls in the Car Park and on O'Connell Street were minted but for example even though Shoots and around it was always thronged, Mac Laughlins and a food stall outside it was empty most of the time (I ran up to Macs a couple of times as I couldn't get to bar in Shoots).

Plazaman wrote:
    I'd love it if they didn't grant a licence to those guys with the plastic gimmicky toys and cowboys hats, they were everywhere. Anyhoo here's to 2015. If Sligo shop keep closing at the rate they are there'll be plenty of places for pop up bars and cafes but as far as the music is concerned, long may it continue.

sligono1 wrote:
    Agree there should be a ban put on those selling those crap toys they leave a cheap tacky look about the town.there is no need for that crap to be sold

yeah the romanians who set up stalls several were closed down by the gards but they just re locate, alot of them were caught pick pocketing too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

they were even getting vicious amount themselves knocking over stalls and there was even renting empty units this should be not be let.there was a by law or the like brought in about loud speakers some time before the fleadh.could the same be done for these parasites selling junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

What date does it start

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

9th-16th August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Sligo had hoped to get it for 2016 as well. Was up against Ennis and Drogheda.

Ennis got it, so the Sligo business people will be milking the visitors, and the locals, for all they're worth this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Sligo had hoped to get it for 2016 as well. Was up against Ennis and Drogheda.

Ennis got it, so the Sligo business people will be milking the visitors, and the locals, for all they're worth this year

As cynical as that sounds I'd say you'll be right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Something I'd love to attend this year. The Wife isn't too big on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

I see that Ennis won out on getting Fleadh for 2017....any indications out yet on why bid from Sligo had failed?....to be fair I heard they had put a very good effort into trying to get the 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I see that Ennis won out on getting Fleadh for 2017....any indications out yet on why bid from Sligo had failed?....to be fair I heard they had put a very good effort into trying to get the 3 in a row.

I don't think it was anything against Sligo, more a point of moving it from place to place, don't think the organisers want to get into the habit of keeping it three years in a row in the one place.

Advertisement