Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/22 Tactical Style Stocks

Options
  • 05-02-2015 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

I was down picking up my 10/22 the other day and there was some ATI stocks in the shop. Not really interested in them myself ATM but I was telling a lad about them as he also has a 10/22 and he is thinking of getting one. What is law on them now. One of them has a telescopic stock and the other one has a folding stock. Could he get one or would he need a restricted licence for it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Technically because of the folding or telescoping nature you would need a restricted liscense for them.However,if you permantly locked and made inoperable the folding mechanism or telescoping mechanism it would be a legal albeit rather uncomfortable and tacticool stock.They had this nonsense out in California with their hysterics about folding stocks.So lots of people made the folding mechanism inoperable,and even some stock makers made "california compliant" stocks for all and sundry makes.
    Cavet Emptor applies on all of the above.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Um. Grizz, the folding/telescoping stock thing only applies to shotguns. A rifle with a telescoping stock isn't automatically restricted (or every ISSF rifle made during our lifetimes would be restricted).

You might fall foul of the "Idontlikedalookofda" rule, subsection "resemblesanassaultrifletome", but you won't know that until you talk to your local super...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭sharkfox

I was down picking up my 10/22 the other day and there was some ATI stocks in the shop. Not really interested in them myself ATM but I was telling a lad about them as he also has a 10/22 and he is thinking of getting one. What is law on them now. One of them has a telescopic stock and the other one has a folding stock. Could he get one or would he need a restricted licence for it

I was looking for one a while back, could you pm me which shop it was and prices if you know them please

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sparks wrote: »
    Um. Grizz, the folding/telescoping stock thing only applies to shotguns. A rifle with a telescoping stock isn't automatically restricted (or every ISSF rifle made during our lifetimes would be restricted).

You might fall foul of the "Idontlikedalookofda" rule, subsection "resemblesanassaultrifletome", but you won't know that until you talk to your local super...

Thought with the ten shot mag and the folder that would automatically make it a restricted gun??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thought with the ten shot mag and the folder that would automatically make it a restricted gun??

You are allowed up to ten, the folding, telescoping and pistol grip thing only affects shotguns, but it can fall foul of looking like an EBR as said. it is in the 2008 restricted nonsense section.

• Advertisement

Didn't see anything about a ten shot mag Grizz, but if you were getting one of those (well, strictly, an eleven shot mag), yeah, that'd qualify it for a restricted licence as well.
    But a tacticool stock on it's own doesn't automatically do that. (In practice, depending on your postal address, it might, but that's not legislation, that's operational).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Didn't see anything about a ten shot mag Grizz, but if you were getting one of those (well, strictly, an eleven shot mag), yeah, that'd qualify it for a restricted licence as well.
    But a tacticool stock on it's own doesn't automatically do that. (In practice, depending on your postal address, it might, but that's not legislation, that's operational).

Was looking a folding stock . 22 recently was informed you can only have the particular model if the stock is permanently fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

Hold on a second. I thought 10 was the line? So basically you're telling me that 9 is as high as it goes before having to get a restricted licence?

Gatling wrote: »
    Was looking a folding stock . 22 recently was informed you can only have the particular model if the stock is permanently fixed

That might well be correct, but it's only correct because your local Super says so. There's nothing in the law that says it must be so. He's making a decision that that stock resembles an assault rifle when the stock folds (but magically not so when it's unable to fold) and therefore it's a restricted firearm if the stock folds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Gormley85 wrote: »
    Hold on a second. I thought 10 was the line? So basically you're telling me that 9 is as high as it goes before having to get a restricted licence?

It's anything over 10, so 11 and up.

Centrefires on the other hand; have no limit.

• Advertisement

No, you can have 10. You can have 11 or more too, but it would be a restricted licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Gormley85

No, you can have 10. You can have 11 or more too, but it would be a restricted licence.

I know you could have a 50 shot mag if you want. But wheres the line for non-restricted to restricted.

e.g.

If I have a 9 shot mag thats non-restricted.
    If I have a 10 shot mag is that restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I know you could have a 50 shot mag if you want. But wheres the line for non-restricted to restricted.

e.g.

If I have a 9 shot mag thats non-restricted.
    If I have a 10 shot mag is that restricted?

As has been said, 10 is fine, it's anything over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you are allowed a ten shot mag anything more is restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Lads thanks for the replies I think I'll tell him to wait a while till after the Firearms review and who knows we might have a central issuing authority then :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

sharkfox wrote: »
    I was looking for one a while back, could you pm me which shop it was and prices if you know them please

Harbour Gun's at Harbour House has that stock on the shelf if your still looking for one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

clivej wrote: »
    Harbour Gun's at Harbour House has that stock on the shelf if your still looking for one

What days is harbour house open. Is it just Saturdays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

hexosan wrote: »
    What days is harbour house open. Is it just Saturdays

Saturdays are the only day that Harbour Gun's are there

Advertisement