Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Station Licence - training

Options
  • 05-02-2015 6:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am looking to sit the exam asap, it doesn't look like it will be on until April or May but want to be ready when it comes around. I can find very little about course materials online. I have been on IRTS website and in the syllabus it mentions a CD but other than been referenced on older threads here, I cannot see it. I have found bits and pieces on theory but when scanning through the sample papers I cannot find the references online. There have been references to classes been ran but again no look finding them. There was a South Dublin Radio Club site but hasn't been updated since 2011. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

Hi

See irts.ie/course-guide/intro/course_guide.html

I passed it but using the above link, I found the format a bit annoying and you have to keep looking up stuff it skims over, but its all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I had at look at that and it doesn't seem very comprehensive in all sections and the html format isn't great either. I couldn't tell whether something hadn't loaded or it was intentionally left blank. Going from sample papers it is hard to find answers even when looking at the section in the notes. A lot of googling had to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

FrostyJack wrote: »
    A lot of googling had to be done.

Yep, you can find out more information on other sites like ARRL or Ham Universe for each sub-section. Propagation and electronics I really had to look up, but the site is clear about what will be asked in regards to call signs, Q Codes, Frequency ranges, etc.

The information in Section A is hard to find else where and is not too difficult to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

The course guide on the IRTS website is enough to pass the test if you have a reasonable understanding of radio & electronics. Practical experience ie listening is invaluable too. Join a club asap - courses wont be run if there aren't the numbers. Limerick Radio Club will be doing classes if there is demand. Contact details for all the clubs are on the IRTS website - they may not have websites but they can be contacted.

Also there are a lot of theory links on the IRTS website
    irts.ie/cgi/theory.cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Thanks guys, I studied Electronics in college so I just need to blow the dust of that. It is the other stuff like what frequency is open to ham radio in X band etc that I am worried about. Will look into club, the South Dublin one is just up the road from me so will see if I can make contact when I get a chance. The rest seems to be on Northside. The irony is I have all the call signs for the clubs from IRTS website but can't transmit to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

FrostyJack wrote: »
    It is the other stuff like what frequency is open to ham radio in X band etc that I am worried about.

Download all the Comreg regulations. I think there are two main pdfs.

The IRTS site ought to have links, but you can find them on comreg.ie

X band is 10 GHz :)

There is an Amateur allocation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I passed my exam in 2013 using books from RSGB:

http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Training_19.html
    Advance - The Full Licence Book and Amateur Radio Exam Secrets

If I had to do it again I'd throw in International Amateur Radio Examination Manual
    Combined these with comreg regulations, and tools for mock exams and passed with flying colours

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Pay attention to the regulations, it is a fair chunk of the syllabus and (I believe) the section most fail on.

Advertisement