Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of climbing a snow covered Croagh Patrick

Options
  • 05-02-2015 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of Climbing a snow covered Croagh Patrick. I am fairly fit. I do not have any Snow gear. Is this a reasonable thing to do ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would be crazy to do and if you need rescue will endanger the lives of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its only Croagh Patrick ffs, pensioners do it in their bare feet. Go for it OP, Ive done it loads of times in Winter, just stick to the trail.

I think it may be reasonable and may not be crazy.

But your post doesn't give much information away to enable anyone assess this. Can you use a map and compass if visibility poor? What do you mean by snow gear? Do you have good waterproof boots, a jacket, 2 pairs of gloves, a warm hat, waterproof pants? Have you been in mountains before or you starting from scratch with a snow hike? Will you have a mobile phone in a dry pack and sufficient battery etc. etc. Will you carry a foil cover?

There is a huge difference between the person who is familiar with mountains but just doesn't have snow gear being an ice axe and crampons (sure everyone has to have a first time in snowy hills) and the person who thinks it is a good idea to do their very first hike in snow and has nothing in terms of either suitable clothing or experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭6541

Nope have none of the above, was just gonna wrap up well, good pair of boots, stay on the path and head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Mod:

That post wasn't a bit appropriate so it was edited. Please don't post like that here.

• Advertisement

Its Croagh Patrick, I must have climbed it over 30 to 40 times, never in snow however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Wasn't there a chap there a while back who climbed it every day, for a full year. That'd be a tough station :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Was up there last Saturday (in full gear btw). Plenty of snow which was lovely but along the exposed mid-section the wind was wild and the wind chill something else. Wrap up wisely if you're planning on heading up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

6541 wrote: »
    Nope have none of the above, was just gonna wrap up well, good pair of boots, stay on the path and head up.

You should make sure that your gear is waterproof. It would be no fun to get wet in the cold winters wind. And you must be absolutly sure that your level of fitness includes hiking a 700 m mountain with steep and rocky parts in probably bad weather or in heavy winds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think if you need to ask an internet forum then you probably shouldn't do it.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    I think if you need to ask an internet forum then you probably shouldn't do it.

Better ask someone somewhere instead of heading up in a bathrobe and coming down on a stretcher ;)

The snow has melted today, for the people that were calling me foolish I say to them lighten up a bit. I wanted to experience some snow, I am fit, the reek has a path so it was a legitimate question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The snow has melted today, for the people that were calling me foolish I say to them lighten up a bit. I wanted to experience some snow, I am fit, the reek has a path so it was a legitimate question.
    Your fitness matters little if cloud rolled in and visibility reduced to matter of feet. Are you confident you'd the correct gear to retain body heat if you had to camp down?

I said it may be fine, depending on your experience and your clothes.

But now I'm puzzled.

You asked if something was reasonable. When some said "no" you told them to lighten up. Did you only want to get the "yeah, go for it" responses? Why ask so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Its Croagh Patrick, I must have climbed it over 30 to 40 times, never in snow however.

Clearly the OP is not an idiot - they're going to wrap up well, they've been up the same route multiple times, presumably they won't head up in a blizzard or a raging storm, so what's the problem? Let them at it and use their own judgement.

Hillwalking is supposed to be an 'adventure sport' you know :)

Maybe I should have phrased the question a bit better.
    Something like this. I intend to climb The Reek (Craogh Patrick), I have never climbed it with snow lying will I need special boots or will I get up with normal boots whilst wrapped up well ?
    P.S I have climbed it numerous times. I intend to climb it when the weather is good and I also intend to stick to the predefined path !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jimbly

See what its like, its got a bit milder in the south west, today, I was out this morning to 850m and it was all quite soft. if the snow is soft and you can kick steps you should be OK but if it hardens up at all and you cannot kick steps you should consider turning back. If you slip on hard snow/ice you will go off at a hell of a rate and only stop when you meet an immovable object or grass. Hill walking in winter is a learning experience you just have to be sensible enough to get the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Something like this. I intend to climb The Reek (Craogh Patrick), I have never climbed it with snow lying will I need special boots or will I get up with normal boots whilst wrapped up well ?
    P.S I have climbed it numerous times. I intend to climb it when the weather is good and I also intend to stick to the predefined path !!!

A decent pair of hiking boots would do for for walking up Croagh Patrick, or most hills/mountains in Ireland

Due to absent-mindedness, I was up in the hills in the snow recently, in a pair of trail runners. They are not ideal for deep snow but I didn't encounter any major problems. I think that boots are necessary really, to keep out snow and give you better grip.

You need warm clothes for the cold, a windproof layer for outside the warm clothes, hat and gloves. You need to pack a waterproofs in case of rain.

A Buff is very useful to protect your face and neck from biting winds.

Gaiters are useful for walking in deep snow.

Lined trekking trousers can be nice to have in this weather. I wouldn't say that they were absolutely necessary by any means, though.

Always bring a fully charged phone in a protective case, preferably waterproof.

A camera is a bonus, for pictures of snow in the hills.

Ahhh :) Perfectly clear now. I always use my regular boots with an extra pair of wollen socks when walking in snow. Works for me. But it's true what someone mentioned before to look out how the snow feels under your feet. If it's getting to thick and icy you should stop. Sometimes you could make it through upwards but descending is another thing and could be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I've only been up the Reek once and it was a fine, dry day. It's slippy and slidey enough then so if you were doing it in snow I'd say just give your self a good bit of extra time for the descent so you can take it handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I was hoping to run it next week - what kind of nick is it in now?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,247 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

a148pro wrote: »
    I was hoping to run it next week - what kind of nick is it in now?

Snow is nearly all melted now.

Advertisement