Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N54 Build Virtual Server \ Media Centre

Options
  • 05-02-2015 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

N54 Build Virtual Server \ Media Centre

I have read around about being able to have a N54L with a virtual environment and also function as a Plex media server.

My Question is what is the best setup regards this.
    I have the N54 and 2x 3tb disks, 1x 250GB disk, 8gb USB Memory Stick
    Requirements:
    Decent/cheapish raid card ( to offload the CPU )
    How to store media ( seperate NAS VM? LUN? Minefield!)
    Would also like Xpenology for its built in apps, again the storage question, will it recognise the disks within a VM.

The plan was to run the Media centre in a VPC, but then realised I have to copy all the media into a VMWare format storage disk within esx, copying large data will take an age and will be locked in that format.

Has anyone gotton around this?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

What's N54? Not getting anything useful out of google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

You can use RDMs instead of the vmdk's

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Luck100 wrote: »
    What's N54? Not getting anything useful out of google.

It's the lesser known Nintendo console that came before the N64 :pac:

But serious answer, most likely the HP Microserver N54L:)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Saadyst wrote: »
    It's the lesser known Nintendo console that came before the N64 :pac:

I thought that was the SNES!

Aye, N54L HP Microserver, rdms eh, Ill do a bit of research

- Cool, Didnt know you could do that, RDM Mapping

Ill give it a go.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Did you make any progress on this OP?

I've been running one with unRAID 5.0 for the past couple of years. Great little machine. I'm currently migrating to 6.0 which is 64bit and has better virtualisation support (XEN), but it seems that the preferred way to run Plex on 6.0 is using a Docker (I'm currently using the plugin). It will happily read media from the unRAID XFS pool.

I wouldn't bother with a RAID card unless you need hardware RAID and I think it's overkill for a media server. I've recently added a dual port SATA III card so I can run an SSD at full speed. I'm going to connect my Parity drive to it too. It's really maxed out at 6 drives unless you want to fill the DVD bay with 2.5 inch drives.

By the end of the week I'll have it running 1 WD red 3gb parity, 3x3gb WD Red data, 1x2GB WD Red data and a crucial 256GB SSD cache/app. Should keep me happy for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement