Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light switches on by itself

Options
  • 05-02-2015 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

At first I thought I was leaving the light on by accident by it turns out that the light does turn on randomly (switch moves to on position) some nights about 30 or 40 min after I've turned it off.  Is this a serious problem (lose wires etc) and is it an easy to solve problem or is it nothing to worry about?   Once you turn the switch off it stays off and it has only started to happen with the cold weather so could this be affecting it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Call a priest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi FamousSeamus,

Thanks for your post.
    At first I thought I was leaving the light on by accident by it turns out that the light does turn on randomly (switch moves to on position) some nights about 30 or 40 min after I've turned it off.  Is this a serious problem (lose wires etc) and is it an easy to solve problem or is it nothing to worry about?   Once you turn the switch off it stays off and it has only started to happen with the cold weather so could this be affecting it?

It is most likely a simple issue with the switch. Plastic materials do tend to contract in colder weather, but to find the cause we would recommend contacting an electrical contractor, or perhaps asking your question in the Boards electrical forum.
    Call a priest

We would recommend you take this route only if the furniture starts moving by itself. :)

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FamousSeamus

Hi FamousSeamus,

Thanks for your post.
    Originally posted by FamousSeamus
    At first I thought I was leaving the light on by accident by it turns out that the light does turn on randomly (switch moves to on position) some nights about 30 or 40 min after I've turned it off.  Is this a serious problem (lose wires etc) and is it an easy to solve problem or is it nothing to worry about?   Once you turn the switch off it stays off and it has only started to happen with the cold weather so could this be affecting it?

It is most likely a simple issue with the switch. Plastic materials do tend to contract in colder weather, but to find the cause we would recommend contacting an electrical contractor, or perhaps asking your question in the Boards electrical forum.
    Originally posted by TheMilkyPirate
    Call a priest

We would recommend you take this route only if the furniture starts moving by itself. :)

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David
    Cheers Dave, I thought this was the electrical forum my bad.  Right I suppose to be safe I'll ring an electrician instead of going at it myself. 

As for the priest if my head does start turning 180 degrees I'll ring him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

No problem FamousSeamus, let's hope it doesn't come to that! :)

If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Thanks,
    David

Advertisement