Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Travel Insurance recommendation?

• 05-02-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Can anyone recommend an insurer offering motorcyclist's travel insurance - ideally multi-trip, annual, Europe and Morocco.

I've hit some problems with initial online enquiries:
    - "not offerred if motorcyling is main activity"
    - not covering "trials and trails" which may exclude unsealed roads.
    - motorcycling not excluded in European cover but excluded in worldwide cover
    - only UK residents

Someone must have been through the loop already and can focus my search.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

CJhaughey wrote: »

Thanks CJ, but their online quote for an annual policy is ~€400.
    I've found a couple of possible alternatives who I'll contact tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Make sure it's not underwritten by AXA. I had FCUKING NIGHTMARE dealing with their Spanish offices (bought the policy through AA in Ireland) when I had a bad off in Nepal. I demanded transcriptions or recordings to catch them on their trickery but apparently they were operating under their local rules which don't give you a leg to stand on.

They were trying to convince me I was fit to travel on and didn't need assistance despite having a badly broken collar bone and "shattered" shoulder blade for which I needed surgery. They covered everything in the end because anyone could see there was absolutely straight forward case but not after trying absolutely every trick in the book to try to just get me to go away. They would tell me everything would be okay one day and then not contact again for days and eventually I'd contact them and they'd tell me they won't cover because blah blah blah. I'm not one for histrionics but honestly, they were happy to leave me for dead as far as I'm concerned and it wasn't the principle of the matter, I was broke after two weeks of trying to make it to safety and absolutely needed their help. /shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

That's a disgraceful way to treat a customer. There must be regulator or ombudsman that might take notice of a complaint.

I often wonder how reliable my insurance would be if I had to call on it - and the many times I had none (travel insurance, that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I used http://www.world-first.co.uk/home/travel-insurance/non-uk-residents.aspx for my travel insurance for Mongolia and Russia. Don't even bother with World Nomads as they don't cover any use where a motorbike is primary transport unless you live outside Ireland

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
Advertisement